Problem booting from SATA disk with GA-8KNXP motherboard (like many others)

Old November 9th 03, 03:18 PM
Eric Janvier

Default Problem booting from SATA disk with GA-8KNXP motherboard (like many others)

First, congratulations to Russel Sullivan, Taliska & others in this
Newsgroup for their detailed hints on how to work the thing out.

However, I've been through all the posts, and I am still missing
something to make it work!

Recap of the problem:

Got me the GA-8KNXP Motherboard, Rev 1.0, BIOS version 6.
I have 1 disk (DISK 1) on the SATA0_SB port (Intel ICH5-R SATA
controller), from which I would like to boot.
I have 2 disks (DISK 2 & DISK 3, without systems) on IDE1.
ALso have DVD & CD burners on IDE2.

When powering-up, the three disks appear nicely: IDE1 Master - DISK 2,
IDE1 Slave - DISK 3, IDE2 Master - DVD Burner, IDE2 Slave - CD Burner,
and Master 3 - Disk1 (SATA).

I the tried to install XP on the SATA disk:

Step 1: I booted with the XP CD-ROM, pressed F6 when asked if I wanted
to load SCSI drivers, loaded the SATA drivers (from Gigabyte site),
then got to the XP installation menu, created a partition on DISK1
(SATA), and XP started to install.

Step 2: Then XP rebooted the machine (to restart from the disk), and
there, problem: there is no dialog anymore to ask for SATA drivers
during the boot sequence, so the SATA disk is not accessed (mentionned
during the power-up test, but not accessed), so the boot sequence ends
in booting from XP CD, which restarts the sequence from Step 1 (and
obviously does not pursue previous installation but proposes to start
anew).

Step 3: I then disconnect my IDE disks (DISK 1, DISK 2) and reboot.
The Board found no more IDE, and remapped automatically the SATA disk
to IDE1 Master (as shown in the list of disks during the power-up. So
the boot sequence loads from DISK1 (SATA, but mapped to IDE1), and
previous XP installation is resumed.

Step 4: After having installed XP on the SATA disk, I reconnect the
two IDE Disks, and reboot. The Board switches the SATA disk back to
SATA ("Master 3"), and the boot fails "Error Loading OS", or something
similar. I tried to switch "On Chip SATA" to "Auto", then to "Manual"
with SATA Port0 configures as "SATA Port0", I tried to select "Intel
ATA Controller" as first in SCSI/SATA/RAID order (the other 2 choices
being Silicon Image and ITE Gigaraid, I figured that Intel was the
SATA port to which my Disk was connected). I also enabled/disabled
"SATA RAID FUNCTION". Nothing worked (unless SATA is mapped to IDE,
which defeats the purpose).

Question So I guess at this stage the question seems to be: If I
want to boot directly from the SATA disk, then from where is the BIOS
supposed to load the SATA drivers? Not from the SATA disk, certainly
(chicken & egg sort of thing). And it does not (would be quite
inconvenient) ask for a diskette with the drivers each time it loads.

Anyone could help me? Russel? Taliska?
Old November 9th 03, 07:14 PM
Udo Kammer

I am using the GA-8IPE1000 Pro and had also trouble with installing
and booting XP from the SATA Port0. I got a new BIOS F7, which solved
my problem.

I have 2 disks (DISK 2 & DISK 3, without systems) on IDE1.
ALso have DVD & CD burners on IDE2.

I have no HDs on Primary Master and Primary Slave. On IDE1 DVD writer
and DVD ROM. On IDE 2 CD writer and MO disk.

SATA Port0 and SATA Port1 2 Ultra ATA HDs from Maxtor connected both
with a IDE to SATA adapter.

Step 1: I booted with the XP CD-ROM, pressed F6 when asked if I wanted
to load SCSI drivers, loaded the SATA drivers (from Gigabyte site),
then got to the XP installation menu, created a partition on DISK1
(SATA), and XP started to install.

You only have to install the drivers, if you want to create a RAID.

Udo Kammer
Kammer.Udo at gmx.info
Old November 10th 03, 12:58 AM
Eric Janvier

OK. I got one step further.

I declare "SCSI" as second Boot Device (after Floppy as the first),
and the boot sequence loads the SATA drive when it is on SATA, even
when the IDE disks are on line (IDE1 and IDE2).

Then XP (from SATA drive) loads a few milliseconds, and I get blue
screen and computer reboots. When I change nothing but only remap SATA
drive to IDE1, the very same XP boots fine.

Quite a challenge.

Ah, and I am not trying to do anything with RAID. Only plain drives.

Eric
Old November 10th 03, 06:59 AM
Kilgore Trout Jr

Here is what I suggest you do, Eric. You are going to have to start from
scratch and reinstall XP. But first, go to the BIOS "integrated peripherals"
screen and choose the following settings:

On-Chip SATA Enabled (This is the Intel ICH5R controller)
SATA port 0 configured as SATA Port 0
SATA RAID Function Enabled (I know you only have one non-RAID drive but
you will not be able to boot from this SATA drive unless you enable RAID)
Make sure your drive is plugged into the right port. (Upper right port when
looking at the MB as it is usually installed in a mid-tower case.)

On Board H/W SATA Disable (This is the Silicon Image Controller. If you
enable this controller but don't have any drives hooked up to the SiI ports,
there will be a 15-20 second delay every time you boot up while the
controller looks for non-existing drives.)

On Board H/W GigaRaid Disable (Again, there is no reason to enable this if
you're not going to be using the optional ITE IDE RAID controller. It will
only slow down your boot time & waste resources.)

Now if you look in the SCSI / RAID Boot order, you will see that Intel RAID
is the only entry. I know you don't have a SCSI drive and aren't going to
use RAID but the BIOS engineers want to make this as confusing as possible.

You say you installed the SATA drivers, but are you sure you loaded the
right ones? What you need are the drivers for the Intel ICH5R. The
documentation only really talks about the drivers for the Gigaraid and SiI
controllers which you don't even need!

What you DO need is:

Intel(R) Application Accelerator RAID Edition for * Microsoft* Windows* XP
and Microsoft* Windows* 2000 (IAA_RAID)

Gigabyte is very genorous with hardware but doesn't give you the floppy disk
you MUST have to install the board! Ya gotta make one up yourself. Not such
a big deal really except that you and I and who knows how many others wasted
hours figuring this all out! I would bet that a lot of flawless boards get
sent back to the dealers because people just give up in frustration.
Browse through the Gigabyte Utility CD and look for the Chipsets /IAA_RAID
folder. In there you should find an "F6 Install.exe" application you can run
to create the floppy disk you'll need when you install XP. You do have a
spare computer sitting around you? If not, I guess Gigabyte figures you can
run down to the library or get a friend to make one up for you. Sound
ridiculously complicated? IT IS!! THANKS GIGABYTE!! But you can do this and
it does work. Actually, if I were you I'd go to the Intel site and down load
the latest version.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...3&DwnldID=6587

Here is part of the Readme.txt file that comes with the driver. Notice that
when you do the F6 thing when you first start to install XP, that does NOT
install the drivers. It just lets XP know that this is something that will
have to be taken care of later in the install routine.

* Installation Readme.

4.2 PRE-INSTALLATION USING THE F6 METHOD FROM A FLOPPY DISK

1. Extract all driver files from the installation package.

See Section 6 for instructions on extracting the files.

2. Create a floppy containing the iaStor.inf, iaStor.sys,

iaStor.cat and TxtSetup.oem files in the root directory.

3. At the beginning of the operating system setup, press F6

to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

4. When prompted, select 'S' to Specify Additional Device.

5. When prompted, insert the floppy disk you created and

press enter.

6. At this point you should be presented with a selection

for "Intel(R) RAID Controller". Highlight this selection

and press enter.

7. Press enter again to continue. Leave the floppy disk in

the system until the next reboot as the software will

need to be copied from the floppy disk again when setup

is copying files.

As soon as you get XP to boot, be sure to install the chipset utilities off
the Gigabyte CD and install the IAA_RAID GUI application.
When you get everything working be sure to send Gigabyte a little note
thanking them for making your life so easy!
Best of Luck!

om...

Old November 10th 03, 01:40 PM
Eric Janvier

Thanks a lot for you advice. Finally made it.

In fact, I realised that I had installed the XP the first time, while
the SATA port had "automatically" remapped to IDE1 (I had disconnected
the 2 IDE drives to avoid problems.. Ah!). So the install did not copy
the SATA drivers on the disk, although I did the "F6" thingy.

So, for the benefits of others who err miserably as I did for 2 days,
here is my procedure, for installing a SATA boot disk (no raid),
connected to the SATA0-SB port:

1. Flash the Bios to F6 version (done in the Bios menu, very nice;
available on GB site

2. In Bios, "Integrated Peripherals":
a. Set "On-Chip SATA" to "Manual" --- That refers to Intel ICH5-R,
the
controller of your primary SATA ports (SATA0-SB)
b. Set "SATA Port0 Configures as" "SATA Port0"
c. Set "SATA Raid Function" to "Disabled" ----you don't want raid,
do you)
d. Set "Onboard H/W SATA" to "Disabled" ---This is the Silicon
Image
controller, the one that drives the other SATA Ports (SATAX_SII)
e. Set "Onboard H/W GigaRaid" to "Disabled" ---This disactivates
the Raid
function related to the IDE controller

3. In Bios, "Advanced Bios Features":
a. Set "Second Boot Device" to "SCSI" ---That is the trick that I
missed
first: SATA maps into SCSI (don't ask me why), and before I did
that,
no way that the load routine would look for the SATA drive!
b. Set "SCSI/SATA/RAID Boot Order" to "Intel Controller" as 1
---This
menu has a different name with my Bios, but it still works. If
it is
empty when you open, Save to CMOS (F10), and reenter Bios menu.

4. Launch the XP install, with the ICH5-R drivers diskette in the
toaster, leave the diskette until the system tells you it will reboot
X seconds.

5. There you are!
Old November 10th 03, 04:25 PM
Kilgore Trout Jr

Glad you finally got it Eric. I have a v. 2.0 board with a "FB" BIOS which
might account for the difference, but my machine absolutely will not boot if
I disable the Intel RAID function. I just tried it again to make sure and
the POST ends in a boot disk failure. Turned RAID back on, machine boots up
normally, Windoz finds a new RAID controller, and I'm good to go again.
There are an awful lot of potential pitfalls in the setup & installation
procedure, so even after you get things up and running you can't help but
feel you might have overlooked something that is preventing your machine
from running its absolute best!

Old November 10th 03, 07:06 PM
Eric Janvier

Ah! Spoke too quickly!

I found that the ******* Windows installed its boot records on an old
system partition sitting on the IDE1 disk, that then became C:, even
if the system itself installed on the SATA drive (named something like
G.

So I restarted the procedure after disconnecting the IDE1 drives.

And now, it does not work anymo after the first installation cycle
(with the F6 thing), the computer reboots on the CD, and relaunches
the full install as if it hadn't done the first cycle. Like it doesn't
boot on SATA.

I remembered you trick about Intel Raid. So I set it to Enabled,
rebooted again, and now I have a black screen after power-up, saying
something on the lines of "Windows couldn't start because of a
hardware configuration problem on one disk of the computer (the only
one left is the SATA). Check many things or die" (approximate
translation, as mine is in French). And then the system hangs there.

I'll try to reinstall everything with the INTEL RAID enabled from the
beginning, but I am beginning to get weary. I really thought I had it.
Old November 10th 03, 07:27 PM
Kilgore Trout Jr

I ran into similar problems and had to wipe the disk clean before
re-installing XP. Simply deleting the old files and formatting the disk
didn't seem to work!
The Western Digital Lifeguard tools could find my drive when it was on one
of the Intel ports, but would freeze when I tried to use the "Write Zeros To
Disk" application. I had to use one of the SiI ports to be able to perform
this task, then switched back to the Intel port to install XP on my freshly
wiped disk.

m...

Old November 12th 03, 03:22 PM
Michael Len

Eric: What you want is to "map to IDE master". I had similar problems.
Aparently if you only have 1 HDD the RAID utilies will not load
because the system will not "see" the RAID device. Following along your
steps in earlier post you had it up to 2b. I have 'SATA Port0 configure
as IDE Pri. Master". Your #3 "SCSI/SATA/RAID Boot Order" you want
Serial ATA to be first. I did not put SCSI in any of the Boot Device
sequences.

Also double check the BIOS version. Eventhough the Giga thing says it
worked I found that it did not. I ended up using the Ami/Award BIOS
utility to upgrade BIOS.
Hope this helps.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:56 AM
Larry Albertson

I think you have answered your own question, just set the drive order to IDE
hard disk 3. Good Luck.