A7N8X-E Deluxe Boot Failure

Old May 21st 04, 08:12 AM
Don

Default A7N8X-E Deluxe Boot Failure

I just got my A7N8X-E Deluxe back from Asus RMA. The original was
replaced due to some problems. All excited to get going but no joy.
It will not post. Here's what happens. Turn on power - led on mobo
lights up. Hit power switch - case fan turns on, cpu fan spins, power
led lights, ide light comes on - stays on for a minute or 2 and then
goes off. And that's it. No beeps, no video, no post, no sound. Any
ideas?
Old May 21st 04, 02:18 PM
The Old Man

"Don" wrote in message

I just got my A7N8X-E Deluxe back from Asus RMA. The original was
replaced due to some problems. All excited to get going but no joy.
It will not post. Here's what happens. Turn on power - led on mobo
lights up. Hit power switch - case fan turns on, cpu fan spins, power
led lights, ide light comes on - stays on for a minute or 2 and then
goes off. And that's it. No beeps, no video, no post, no sound. Any
ideas?

I normally go for a process or elimination. Are you sure your CPU is fine?
Power turning off is I would have thought a PSU issue? Try it without any
other cards in except graphics card and 1 stick of ram.

Old May 21st 04, 04:42 PM
Todd M.Miller

"Don" wrote in message

I just got my A7N8X-E Deluxe back from Asus RMA. The original was
replaced due to some problems. All excited to get going but no joy.
It will not post. Here's what happens. Turn on power - led on mobo
lights up. Hit power switch - case fan turns on, cpu fan spins, power
led lights, ide light comes on - stays on for a minute or 2 and then
goes off. And that's it. No beeps, no video, no post, no sound. Any
ideas?

This board is defective all the way. I have RMA'd two boards and each new
board is worse than the first. We ought to file a class action suit and sue
Asus for this defective merchandise. Extending the warrenty to three years
on a 1 year warrenty board is evil. If you run a 2800+ on this board it
will not work today. Sue the pants off of Asus for this disgrace!

Sincerely,

Todd Martin Miller, Ph.D.

Old May 21st 04, 09:20 PM
Paul

In article , Don
wrote:

I just got my A7N8X-E Deluxe back from Asus RMA. The original was
replaced due to some problems. All excited to get going but no joy.
It will not post. Here's what happens. Turn on power - led on mobo
lights up. Hit power switch - case fan turns on, cpu fan spins, power
led lights, ide light comes on - stays on for a minute or 2 and then
goes off. And that's it. No beeps, no video, no post, no sound. Any
ideas?

And, what does the Voice POST say ? Plug some amplified speakers into
Lineout (making sure the two jumpers are installed on the FP_AUDIO
2x5 header). Listen for a message.

What brand and model number of RAM are you using ?

Does the BIOS flash chip have a sticker on it ? What version of
BIOS shipped with the board ?

Paul

Old May 22nd 04, 02:13 AM
Paul E. LePage

Checking RAM brand and model is a good idea, however he should not have to
be concerned with the BIOS version
on a replacement board fresh from the manufacturer. The lawsuit sounds like
a great idea! Count me in!

Old May 22nd 04, 12:13 PM
KWW

I firmly believe that lawyers who lose these sorts of lawsuits - especially
if they prove to be "trivial" should be forced to be turned into dogfood.
We have too many lawyers - Americans have been taught to leach the lifeblood
from our country's economy just to satisfy our own short-term apetites.
What we don't realize is that we have these paracites that get fatter and
fatter whether we win or lose. The true paracites are the lawyers.

This spoiled "me" generation and their offspring is going to destroy this
entire culture.
--
KWW

"Paul E. LePage" wrote in message
Checking RAM brand and model is a good idea, however he should not have to
be concerned with the BIOS version
on a replacement board fresh from the manufacturer. The lawsuit sounds

like
a great idea! Count me in!

Old May 22nd 04, 02:44 PM
Ken Maltby

"KWW" wrote in message
I firmly believe that lawyers who lose these sorts of lawsuits -

especially
if they prove to be "trivial" should be forced to be turned into dogfood.
We have too many lawyers - Americans have been taught to leach the

lifeblood
from our country's economy just to satisfy our own short-term apetites.
What we don't realize is that we have these paracites that get fatter and
fatter whether we win or lose. The true paracites are the lawyers.

This spoiled "me" generation and their offspring is going to destroy this
entire culture.
--
KWW

And, for that, the PETA lawyers will be on your case. If nothing
else the rise in Canine cholesterol would be hazardous to a dog's life.

LoL;
Ken

Old May 22nd 04, 03:09 PM
Ken Maltby

"Don" wrote in message

I just got my A7N8X-E Deluxe back from Asus RMA. The original was
replaced due to some problems. All excited to get going but no joy.
It will not post. Here's what happens. Turn on power - led on mobo
lights up. Hit power switch - case fan turns on, cpu fan spins, power
led lights, ide light comes on - stays on for a minute or 2 and then
goes off. And that's it. No beeps, no video, no post, no sound. Any
ideas?

It's most likely the CPU or the Memory (RAM). This board has more
memory compatibility issues of any of the ASUS boards I've tried and
I have 4 of the A7N8X series alone. I'm typing on an A7N8X-E dlx now
with only one stick of OCZ cas 2 memory, but to get it to run stable it must
be set to cas 2.5. ( to get to the "User Defined" setting you have to use
the
"number pad + key")

Luck;
Ken