Does my mobo (Asus PC-DL Deluxe) require a specific PSU (12V EPS)????????????

Old December 5th 03, 12:37 PM
Tom

Default Does my mobo (Asus PC-DL Deluxe) require a specific PSU (12V EPS)????????????

My Motherboard (Asus PC-DL Deluxe for Dual Xeon) requires a 8pin ATX +12V
Power Plug to be connected. My case is a Chieftec BX-03B-B-SL. (nothing
fancy, justa good solid case and a 350Wpsu)
Apart from the usual 20pin and the standard power leads for the CD-Rom, Hard
Drive I do not have an 8pin lead, I do however have a 4 pin lead from the
psu that would partially fit the 8pin socket on the board, (just like some
boards have a 24 pin socket and some PSU's have a 20 pin lead there is no
problem fitting the 20 pin lead to the 24 pin socket, The mobo manual
indicates which end of the 24pin socket (the 4 pins) is left blank.
is if suffice to use the 4 pin, I looked at the Chieftec site but there is
ZERO tech support on their site, hope I have made this somewhat
clear to understand.

any help is appreciated, just about to begin the install of the OS until i
came to this issue.
Thanking you,
Tom

Old December 5th 03, 01:05 PM
Robert KOWALSKI

"Tom" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

Mine works fine with my 430W Enermax PSU, since 2 months now. Same 20 pin +
4 pin, plugged into 24 and 8 sockets.

Old December 5th 03, 11:55 PM
Anthrax442

Mine works fine with my 430W Enermax PSU, since 2 months now. Same 20 pin
+
4 pin, plugged into 24 and 8 sockets.

That's odd, considering that Asus says in the manual that the system won't
even turn on if the 8 pin connection isn't plugged in properly. Whatever
works, I guess, but I'm curious as to how much Ram you have installed and
how many processors you are running, because it doesn't seem logical for a
standard power supply to be able to supply enough voltage to a fully loaded
system to run stably.

--
Anthrax442

"Well, throw in a rectal exam, and this'll be the best day ever!"
Xander Harris

Old December 6th 03, 05:51 AM
Jim Mc

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:37:46 -0000, "Tom"
wrote:

[...]

You need an EPS12V power supply, not an ATX power supply.

Here's a bit of information from the SSI (Server System
Infrastructure) initiative web site - essentially an Intel led
initiative to standardise on server component specifications.

http://www.ssiforum.org/html/adoptedspecs.asp

We used an Antec 550W EPS12V power supply in a system we recently put
together with the PC-DL. Not cheap.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_i...oducts_id=1278

There are other manufacturers of EPS12V supplies. Just search on the
string "EPS12V" at you favorite supplier's web site. They're not very
widespread, so you may only find one or two at any given supplier.

Old December 7th 03, 09:03 PM
Tom

Thanks guys,
I ordered the antec 12v eps (prior to seeing Jims comments) as someone else
recommended I use that model. You're right in saying they are not cheap
?150,

cheers,
Tom