RAM Performance: Corsair vs. Geil on Intel and Asus mobo

Old December 19th 04, 05:18 PM

Default RAM Performance: Corsair vs. Geil on Intel and Asus mobo

Hello all,

I'm about to upgrade a couple of boxes (CPU & mobo). I'm currently using
Geil RAM but have also considered Corsair. I'd like to know if anyone can
shed some light on the best combination for placement of my RAM, and what,
if any real-world difference there is between the Corsair products (Value
Select and the XMS, Twinx lines). Boxes are used primarily for Graphics,
video editing, business applics. Since I'm not a gamer (except when the
neices and nephews are visiting), I can't see justifying anything but the
Corsair Value Select. I do admit to being somewhat of a performance
geek.......

Box #1 (proposed) = Intel D865PERL mobo, Intel P4/3.0E, Geil RAM 2x 512MB
DDR 400Mhz
Box #2 (proposed) = ASUS P4P800S-X mobo, Intel P4/2.4Ghz, Corsair Value
Select RAM 2x 512MB DDR 400Mhz

I already have the h/w except for the RAM for box #2.
Basically its all: 800Mhz FSB with support for 400Mhz DDR RAM, with L2 cache
of 1MB vs. 512.

Any thoughts or real-world experience with the best performance combinations
is appreciated.

TIA
MVs