Is 2.5 inch disk drive suitable for desktop?

Old September 18th 14, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Is 2.5 inch disk drive suitable for desktop?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:20:48 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

On 9/14/2014 7:21 PM, John Doe wrote:
Of course how much an SSD increases performance depends on what
exactly the "old SATA interface" is. Most likely it will provide a
very nice boost in speed because it affects so much of the system.
For anybody that wants to keep such a system, it's the only way to
go. Especially since the conventional hard drive is sitting there
ready to be bumped into its useful secondary position.

Except that SSD's sometimes quit without warning.

As does my heart (one attack so far) and yet I continue to rely on it.

SSDs may not arguably have that "last gasp" plattered drives variously
exhibit, such as through diagnostics or other portends of aberrant
behavior. Roughly five years already on popularly consumed SSDs,
though, there's hasn't been a widespread plague from reports of SSDs
literally falling out of the sky.

Performance benefits all but negating other considerations, all but
raw, ponderous bulk storage, that is, where plattered drives are no
less sensible. Data not being constantly churned over in less than
industrial fashion, say, average Joe's desktop archives. Perhaps a
plattered performance hit, at half and less SSD transfer rates, isn't
really so much a hit, after all, while data predominately just sits
there doing not much.

Besides, nor really such a bad idea, an indicated course and plattered
drive, dare we say, should a SSD "just up and take leave."

Small-sized SSD drives aren't, really, such an imposition
provisionally for and a part of plattered-drive backup stratagems. Of
course market aims would be to replace HDDs with NAND, especially if
your SSD costs $1500 over a competitor's $80 3T plattered drive. As,
inevitably, would such pied-piper logic appeal to a marketable
segment: If it's all that great at, say, at 60G and $40 for a SSD to
most common ends at maximum performance benefits, then it's going to
be exponentially that much better just to spend $1500 for a 3T HDD.

Probably.

And, if not, should be worth at least something to brag about or
fondle during wee late hours.
Old September 18th 14, 01:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 14:16:57 +0100, kathy wrote:

Can I pick your brains about a hard drive upgrade.

I have an old desktop PC with a 250 MB hard drive. I would like to
increase the storage capacity and think 500 MB may be enough.

The new drive will replace the old one.

If you really mean 250Mb, that would be an old-oh-so-old
motherboard (circa 1993-1994). Probably not worth spending money on.
OTOH, if it's a 250Gb drive, there is a good chance the MB
will have SATA connectors. So maybe it's just a matter of buying SATA
power/data cables and a SATA HD. Check the SATA specs, some of the
earlier chipsets had problems with fast and large drives.
The motherboard make/model/chipset would help us. CPU-Z will
get you the info

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Use the zip version. Unzip it to a folder and click on the 32
bit executable. Select the "mainboard" tab.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old September 21st 14, 03:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_9_]

Regular troll...

From: "Rod Speed" rod.speed.aaa gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware .pc-homebuilt
Subject: Is 2.5 inch disk drive suitable for desktop?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 05:44:36 +1000

"Paul" nospam needed.com wrote in message
news:lv8s1s$dbn$1 dont-email.me...
John Doe wrote:
Paul nospam needed.com wrote:
John Doe wrote:

Anything can just go without warning. An experienced computer
user always has backups of important data. Some of us use very
efficient methods for backing up and restoring stuff. Hardware
is rarely an issue. Any reasonable hardware should not be an
issue.
What, exactly, makes an SSD any more prone to quitting without warning
than any other device that includes electronic
circuitry like a conventional hard drive? Any credible
citations showing that sort of failure on high quality SSDs?
Both SSDs and hard drives, have firmware. Without any cites at
all, that represents an "exposure" in terms of product quality.

What is your point?

Since both SSD and Hard Drives are firmware/CPU based,
they are both untrustworthy.

And you cannot really estimate when they'll fall over or why.

You can actually with some faults that show
evidence of a problem in the SMART stats.

For example, some bugs are related to how many times the device has been
power cycled.

Those arent bugs.

Some users will see an early failure (because they power cycle the PC a
lot). Others will see the device last a long time (since they don't power
off).

Those arent bugs.

Companies will not always admit why their product failed.

Doesn't matter what they admit, with plenty
of failures the reason for them is obvious.

In the case of Seagate, occasionally a company engineer
will make an unofficial statement about why some failures
are occurring. Due to the prototype nature of the SSD
market, the early SSD failures involved a lot of ass covering,
as no maker attempting to capture mindshare, would want
to admit why their product is failing. So you can't always
get a nice neatly laid out report as to what to expect
from SSDs.

So my point is, no matter what the track record is to date,
the same fault modes can exist on SSDs, as on hard drives.

But the technology is so different that you
don't often see the same fault modes.

Both have rudimentary firmware,

It's a hell of a lot better than rudimentary.

with no attempt to automatically recover from bad situations.

The whole point of remapped sectors with hard drives and spare
cells with SSDs is to recover automatically from bad situations.

Firmware flaws would have no representation in SMART. So it's not like you
can be warned there is a bug in the firmware.

Sure, but that is only a minor cause of HDD and SSD failure now.

And the device is most likely to "disappear", when you first
turn it on in the morning. When the SSD "internally boots".

If a brand new SSD comes out today, I could pick one up
assuming the SSD market is mature and every SSD maker
knows what they're doing. Only to lose all my data a
month later. And then reports come out that it is a
firmware issue. Whether it happens regularly, is not the
issue. It's the possibility that it can happen that counts.
And the track record of firmware issues on hard drives,
should attest to how often these mistakes make it into
the field.

(Repairing a bricked Seagate ST3500320AS using a TTL serial cable...
An example of a model with a firmware problem.)

http://www.overclock.net/t/457286/se...-fix-with-pics

(Firmware update if you catch it before it bricks)

http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/207951en

Old September 21st 14, 08:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.usenet,free.spirit
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote

Regular troll...

Your sig is sposed to be last with a line with just -- on it in front of it,
****wit child.