Microsoft antics

Old September 13th 14, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
John Doe[_9_]

Default Microsoft antics

I move 18 movies to my tablet and Microsoft asks if I want to
reformat them since otherwise the tablet might not be able to play
them. Yeah, right. Since when has Windows media player ever been
able to play videos. So I say "No" and all of the 18 videos play
just fine without Microsoft's reformatting. As I recall, I
accepted that offer once before and it messed up the video so it
was not playable.

But seriously...
Old September 13th 14, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
John Doe[_9_]

Roderick Stewart rjfs escapetime.myzen.co.uk wrote:

John Doe always.look message.header wrote:

I move 18 movies to my tablet and Microsoft asks if I want to
reformat them since otherwise the tablet might not be able to
play them. Yeah, right. Since when has Windows media player ever
been able to play videos. So I say "No" and all of the 18 videos
play just fine without Microsoft's reformatting. As I recall, I
accepted that offer once before and it messed up the video so it
was not playable.

But seriously...

Don't bother with Windows Media Payer. VLC can play anything.

I should have written that more clearly. I was dissing Windows
media player, not suggesting that I use it.

In other words... "Since Windows media player hardly plays
anything, how would Microsoft know how to make media more
playable?"

That's why it's silly for Microsoft to suggest that it can
reformat video so that it's more easily playable. I suspect what's
happening is that Microsoft is assuming you are sending the videos
to a Microsoft device, so Microsoft wants to make them more easily
playable by its media player. But even in that case, it probably
makes things worse.

--

Please don't change the follow-up groups, it messes up the
threading.
Old September 14th 14, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
. . .winston

John Doe wrote:
[...]

You didn't mention if the message was specifically for reformatting to
play in Media Player or a Windows message. As written your message
seemed to imply that reformatting would be for use in Media Player.

- Win8x comes with its own modern UI video app.
- Media Center is also available for Win8x ($10 - Add Feature)

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps
Old September 14th 14, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
John Doe[_9_]

I'm trying this again, allowing Microsoft to reformat the files.
It's taxing my CPUs and will take very roughly 7 or more hours,
but... I did notice an improvement in playback smoothness at 2x
speed for two videos apparently converted.

The stock Galaxy Tab 3 (Android 4.4.2) media player makes the
comparison a breeze. Just click the button to persistently show
the controls AND show on the left-hand side all available movies.
Then click between the two different versions. It even shows the
current playback location in the left-hand side icon.

Old September 15th 14, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
Bruce Sinclair

In article , John Doe wrote:
So I took the 6+ hours to do the conversion while putting the
movies on the Android tablet into a different folder. Then went
through every one of them, comparing them to the other set of 18
movies that were not converted. Seems that surprisingly something
positive was done to them. When playing them at double speed,
there is no stuttering/skipping in the converted videos.

... so ... was it worth the 6+ hours then ?

Old September 15th 14, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
John Doe[_9_]

noydb no.way (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

John Doe always.look message.header wrote:

So I took the 6+ hours to do the conversion while putting the
movies on the Android tablet into a different folder. Then went
through every one of them, comparing them to the other set of 18
movies that were not converted. Seems that surprisingly
something positive was done to them. When playing them at double
speed, there is no stuttering/skipping in the converted videos.

.. so ... was it worth the 6+ hours then ?

I don't know. If it weren't for all four cores working at 70% for
that time, probably. It's nice to be able to do fast-forward on
the Android tablet correctly.

It might help VLC fast-forward and reverse them more smoothly in
Windows after the movies are moved back (after looking at just
one). If so, then probably.

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't provide that conversion for
windows. Or maybe it does, but I've never seen it offered.
Old September 15th 14, 06:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.mobile.android
John Doe[_9_]

It converted all of them to WMV format. And it reduced the folder
size from 14 GB to 10 GB.

WTB: URGENT NEED - MICROSOFT OFFICE SOFTWARE ALL VERSIONS/TYPES -MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PRO, WINDOWS 2000 PRO, WINDOWS HOME ALL VERSIONS/TYPES- NEED AS MANY AS YOU CAN SELL US none Homebuilt PC's 0 April 16th 09 02:18 PM
Microsoft Gears Up to Release Xbox 360 with New Chips - IBM, TSMCLand Orders to Manufacture 65nm Chips for Microsoft Xbox 360 AirRaid Mach 2.5 Ati Videocards 1 May 10th 08 12:41 PM
WTB: MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA, XP PRO, WIN2K PRO, HOME, 98SE, 98, 95, NT 4.0, OFFICE, SERVER INCLUDES MICROSOFT, DELL, COMPAQ, IBM, HP OR ANY OTHER OEM PACKAGES. [email protected] Dell Computers 0 August 26th 07 09:59 AM
Microsoft or A+ esara Homebuilt PC's 6 April 7th 04 03:01 PM
GM vs Microsoft cimetière Asus Motherboards 6 December 19th 03 08:57 PM