slow PATA disk in Centos

Old June 24th 14, 01:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default slow PATA disk in Centos

While building some workstations with Centos operating system,
I found some Deskstar 320 GB PATA disks that were hardly used (about 30 hours).
I used these for swap and tmp, although swap shouldn't be used, as there is
heaps of RAM. I used SATA disks for root and home.
Now I find this Deskstar is very slow on one workstation.
Benchmark gives 4 MB/s read, when it should do about 100.
The Deskstar disk is 7200 RPM and supports UDMA6. The mainboard uses a Jmicron
chip for PATA, which also supports UDMA6. It is connected with
80-conductors cable. I swapped the Deskstar drive and the cable, and slowness
seems to be in the mainboard.
RHEL generic IDE driver is claimed to support the JMB368 since version 4.6,
and I have version 5.10.
hdparm shows the drive is running in UDMA5, which is ATA100 instead of
maximum ATA133, but is way faster than 4 MB/s
The SMART data shows no problems with the drives.

Old June 25th 14, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:16:11 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

It does sound to me like PIO mode (4 to 7MB/sec), so you're
looking in the right area. You would think of
all utilities, hdparm would know what it was talking
about.

If there is a dmesg, see what happens to the drive when it
is detected, and whether any anomalies are noted.

I know that when Win2000/XP counted disk errors, they ratcheted the speed
down until you ended up with PIO. I don't know if linux kernels do the same.
I'll put it down to a flaky interface, and use a SATA disk instead to get
it going.