8 gig RAM on older hardware

Old May 19th 14, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dominique

Default 8 gig RAM on older hardware

Hello, is there someone who ever tried to put 8 gig of RAM in an Acer
TravelMate 7720 or similar "notebook"?

I'm actually running Win7 32bits with 4 gig of RAM, I'd like to go 64bits
and it would be great to go 8 gig.

All the documentation I've found (old) says 4 gig RAM maximum. It uses DDR2
sodimm RAM (I know, it's expensive); but I am curious to know if someone
actually tried it? I could go to a computer shop and try it but I doubt I
would find someone who has 2 x 4gig DDR2 sodimm lying around.

It's a Core2Duo 2.00 ghz.

Here's the hardware report from Belarc:

ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Contrôleurs de stockage Ultra ATA Intel(R) ICH8M - 2850 [Controller]
Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
Seiko Epson 17,2 [Monitor] (17,2"vis)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Firewi Contrôleur Texas Instruments PCI-8x12/7x12/6x12 CardBus
ISO Mounter
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2830
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2831
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2832
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2834
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2835
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2836
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 283A
EDIROL FA-101 (Firewire)
Périphérique High Definition Audio (onboard)
UM-3G (USB)
Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver (WDM)

TIA
Dominique
Old May 20th 14, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 19 May 2014 22:50:31 +0000 (UTC), Dominique
wrote:

Hello, is there someone who ever tried to put 8 gig of RAM in an Acer
TravelMate 7720 or similar "notebook"?

I'm actually running Win7 32bits with 4 gig of RAM, I'd like to go 64bits
and it would be great to go 8 gig.

http://www.miniputer.com/Acer/TravelMate_7720.html

Spec's do say 4G, so you put some more in, variously and however
mixed, which, once exceed the specs, get flagged by a BIOS trap for an
event error message routine. Or it goes mysteriously dark, no beep
beep, or something else insidious.

I've got the same processor, circa thereabouts, dualcore
Intel Pentium 4E, 2666 MHz ICH7 in a S775 desktop factor.

2G in both machines, the other a near same-age AMD x2 4200. No idea
of further memory limits to my MBs...

Surprised with a PCI-E SSD on the highend of things -- extra, extra
fast NAND and such (for swapping into a dedicated bus) -- there isn't
all kinds of software devices for manipulating a norm sale skew of
128-256GB of SSD memory into sharing some of that with operational
memory.

Software was once all over that kinda thing. Task swapping out of
EMS3.2, when to populate above 640Meg to a full 1M with, say, Ratshack
T1000 "special" system memory, might run close to $300. TRON stuff,
heh, although guess they didn't get the Rat for nothing. The new
Clue(less) Age is turn up your nose and let "them" do it for you --
out of cloud service subscriptions on a tablet or whatever comes first
out from a unisex purse or "fanny pack." Eight, twelve cores, even if
two 16G of System Memory is so boring! Well, doubt SODIMM is anywhere
near a 384M T1000 module, or saving up for those $1500 glasses that
cost Google $50 materials.

Plus, figure you ain't going to be using it if it says it won't take.
Take that money and buy yourself a MB with six SATA ports and a PCI
slot or two. Once a PS is on it, the rest just kind of falls into
place.
Old May 20th 14, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Dominique wrote:
[...]

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/316273.pdf

Page 12 Section 1.1.2

"Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB"

The GM965 would be the PM965, but with the internal
GPU turned on. The memory limit should be the same.
The GL960 is limited to 2GB, and has a separate line
to that effect in the document.

The desktop version of the same chipset (which drives
up to four sticks of RAM), has an 8GB limit. The laptop
on the other hand, only has two slots defined for memory,
and using the maximum density chips, gives a 2x2GB = 4GB limit.

The chip has a 36 bit FSB, so is not artificially limited in
that way. And it has memory remapping support. If the processor
supports 64 bit instructions, and you install a 64 bit OS,
the entire 4GB of RAM should be mapped in, with the video
address space also assigned some room. With a 64 bit OS, I
would expect to see 4095MB (or so) free, versus the 3.25GB
I see on my current setup with a 32 bit OS.

And just to make you feel better, that high RAM hardly ever
gets used. I have an 8GB machine, with 32 bit and 64 bit OSes,
and don't have my virtual machines set up in the 64 bit OS.
And as a result, it would be a strange day, to have all the memory
used in Windows 8 x64. I would need to load up a few VMs to get
there. The newer Windows does like to waste memory when running
CHKDSK, and that may be the most amusement you can get from
having a lot of RAM. (These comments are for an "average" user.
If you're designing silicon chips and doing Verilog simulations,
then you use all the memory, all day long. But for more common
activities, even using GIMP on large photos, the machine would
likely feel too slow, if you actually attempted to manipulate
7GB objects. You need a lot more memory speed, than a DDR2
DIMM can manage, to help the thing scale a bit. This is one of
the weaknesses of current design, is memory can be very large
now, but it's still about as slow (in mega-transactions per second).
The cycle time to do a cache line burst, really isn't speeding up
all that much. And if you, say, buy a desktop today and put
64GB in it, you;ll be sitting on your hands if the machine
ever uses it. Having that RAM could add another 20 to 30 seconds
to your BIOS startup time (and that doesn't even constitute a
decent test either, just a fill operation).

If you're going to put a lot of memory in a modern machine,
there had better be a justification for doing so. Having
64GB as a "hood ornament" on the computer, the thrill will
soon wear off.

Paul

Old May 20th 14, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

Does the system have an Intel GM965 Express chipset?

http://ark.intel.com/products/29821/...ory-Controller

If so, you can add an authority to the chorus that says 4GB max system
memory. It appears that you're hoping against hope.

Take the $200 you'll have to spend on that 8GB of RAM and put it towards
a new laptop. You'll be able to escape Vista, and get machine that uses
cheap DDR3 RAM. (8GB of DDR3 costs $70 in comparison.)

Old May 20th 14, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dominique

Dominique écrivait news:XnFA332BFAADC14Adoumdomainnet@
78.46.70.116:

[...]

Thanks all for your answer. I like this laptop, it has 2 hard drive bays,
integrated TI firewire and I use it in music production. Some music
software loads "samples" or softsynth sound banks in RAM; for example,
you could load a drum kit which is 2 gig in size plus a 1 gig piano, etc.
so in that usage more RAM is better.

Oh well, I guess I will live with 4 gig in this one. I will put another
system hard disk in it to experiment and try to install Win7-64bits, (all
my music software supports 64 bits). I might even try an SSD later. I
would have prefered to upgrade this one instead of buying a new one
because I doubt I can still find notebook with 2 drive bays and Firewire.

Dominique
Old May 20th 14, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 20 May 2014 17:41:22 +0000 (UTC), Dominique
wrote:

Thanks all for your answer. I like this laptop, it has 2 hard drive bays,
integrated TI firewire and I use it in music production. Some music
software loads "samples" or softsynth sound banks in RAM; for example,
you could load a drum kit which is 2 gig in size plus a 1 gig piano, etc.
so in that usage more RAM is better.

Oh well, I guess I will live with 4 gig in this one. I will put another
system hard disk in it to experiment and try to install Win7-64bits, (all
my music software supports 64 bits). I might even try an SSD later. I
would have prefered to upgrade this one instead of buying a new one
because I doubt I can still find notebook with 2 drive bays and Firewire.

Dominique

Build...

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=284717

I've a computer on one side of the top shelf, mixer in the middle, amp
on the farside;- shelf below, another amp. Either side of the
shelves, four speakers.

Alesis and early vintage Polk SRS for studio monitors, Art and Carver
amps fed from laser optic SPDIF off a rackmount Behringer programmable
EQ/processor unit. Nothing short of sound and big sound.

Done some recording with it, mics, headphones....Athlon X2 4000
(discounting the HDs) that cost $200 to put together. (Though the
speakers alone might be comparable to $1000 or more to replace, as
well the amps and rest of the gear).
Old May 20th 14, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dominique

Flasherly écrivait
:

wrote:

[...]

I already have a desktop for recording, the laptop is mainly for live
situations. It does most of the jobs I throw at it. I was wondering if I
could give it a little more power but I can live with it. I will try to go
64 bits though.

Thanks
Old May 20th 14, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

wrote:

Hello, is there someone who ever tried to put 8 gig of RAM in an Acer
TravelMate 7720 or similar "notebook"?

I'm actually running Win7 32bits with 4 gig of RAM, I'd like to go 64bits
and it would be great to go 8 gig.

All the documentation I've found (old) says 4 gig RAM maximum. It uses DDR2
sodimm RAM (I know, it's expensive); but I am curious to know if someone
actually tried it? I could go to a computer shop and try it but I doubt I
would find someone who has 2 x 4gig DDR2 sodimm lying around.

Why would anyone try it? Boards don't take more than their documented
max.
Old May 20th 14, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 20 May 2014 19:32:21 +0000 (UTC), Dominique
wrote:

I already have a desktop for recording, the laptop is mainly for live
situations. It does most of the jobs I throw at it. I was wondering if I
could give it a little more power but I can live with it. I will try to go
64 bits though.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/281342292382

Can't find 'em, exactly pictured (they're rare), though similar to
$2600 array references - first row, far right pictures: I've two
silver domes, two mids, thicker-depth cabinet with 10" passive
radiators in the back (also features a passive cable for mixing
imaging -- except it messes with amp impediances, so I've the cable
disconnected).

These aren't floor speakers - need to be raised up then ideally set
up.

250watts rated speakers into the Carver's output: 100watts RMS at
180watts reserves for peak. It's a 50lb. boat.

Speakers don't really kick in until at 20watts.

--
Yea, that's the deal with live recording. Macs are popular with the
industry, although $10K might be feasible, too, considering pro;-

So what was you saying -- just about ready and gonn'a stuff, jam,
hammer up, some no' memory sticks into your laptop. . .jeez, guy,
wha's up wid dat. You a "frustrated" pro or sumpt'n?
Old May 20th 14, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dominique

Flasherly écrivait
:

wrote:

[...]

What's with the attitude? I was asking about upgrading an old laptop in a
hardware group.

One of the nice answers I got was that 4 gig RAM is generally enough and
other answers I got told me it wouldn't work with my chipset. I just
explain why I could use more RAM with THAT laptop.

It's good manner to give feedback when you ask a question on USENET and
the matter is solved.

You seem to have a nice setup.