Upgrading an XP 2200+ on an Asus A7V8X-X

Old December 9th 04, 06:42 AM
Jonathan Oakley

Default Upgrading an XP 2200+ on an Asus A7V8X-X

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it seems a good start!
I'd like to upgrade my XP 2200+ on an Asus A7V8X-X, which has 512Mbyte
of PC2100 Ram.
I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to just get a 3000+, replace
the Ram with PC2700. According to the documentation, my Mobo only
supports 333MHz FSB.
This is a minor upgrade, so ahead of doing it I'd be very interested in
what more knowledgeable people would do!

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan.

Old December 9th 04, 07:46 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:42:28 +0000, Jonathan Oakley wrote:

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it seems a good start!
I'd like to upgrade my XP 2200+ on an Asus A7V8X-X, which has 512Mbyte
of PC2100 Ram.
I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to just get a 3000+, replace
the Ram with PC2700. According to the documentation, my Mobo only
supports 333MHz FSB.
This is a minor upgrade, so ahead of doing it I'd be very interested in
what more knowledgeable people would do!

First I'd see if my 2200+ was a Tbred A or B core and if it's a B core I'd
just raise the clock on it. Default speed is 1800MHz, and most B cores
will do as much as 2400MHz. Short of being able to do that, I'd sell the
whole MB, CPU and ram and replace it with a new socket 754 Sempron 3100+
which will run circles around an XP 3000+. Clock it from it's default
1.8GHz to about 2.4GHz easily, and then it'll beat any socket A cpu by a
long shot. Oh, and no matter what you decide to do don't get PC2700 or
even PC3200 ram. Get something in the PC4000 range and be on the safe
side. I think the Sempron 3100+ is only a few bucks more than the 3000+
XP.. If you de3cide to stay with your MB, get a 2400+ XP-M for less than
the 3000+ and clock it up to about 2200MHz or more. And you won't have to
replace your ram either unless you just want to. This would be the
cheapest upgrade and faster than the XP 3000+.

Old December 9th 04, 06:03 PM
Jonathan Oakley

Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for the response. I have a B core, so I clearly have
a few options for upgrading!

Best regards,

Jonathan.

Old December 9th 04, 08:10 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:03:16 +0000, Jonathan Oakley wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:42:28 +0000, Jonathan Oakley wrote:

I'd like to upgrade my XP 2200+ on an Asus A7V8X-X, which has 512Mbyte
of PC2100 Ram.

First I'd see if my 2200+ was a Tbred A or B core and if it's a B core I'd
just raise the clock on it. Default speed is 1800MHz, and most B cores
will do as much as 2400MHz. Short of being able to do that, I'd sell the

Thank you very much for the response. I have a B core, so I clearly have
a few options for upgrading!

If this is an older unlocked model, just go into bios, raise vcore
according to how fast you want to run it, then raise multiplier to 15, 16
or 17. 17 would get you 2266MHz and you may need up to 1.75v for this.

If it's a locked cpu, then just raise vcore to 1.75v and raose FSB to
166MHz. That'll get you 2250MHz. Doing it this way, you need to make sure
your ram bus speed stays at 133MHz. Should be settings in bios for this
too. BySpd should keep the ram speed within specs.

Old December 9th 04, 09:42 PM
Jonathan Oakley

Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

Sadly it is the newer, locked version. The bios is pretty configurable
though, so I'll see if I can manage what you suggest. I may only need to
upgrade the CPU's heatsink and fan Thanks,

Jonathan.

Old December 10th 04, 07:08 AM
bill bixby

, I'd sell the
whole MB, CPU and ram and replace it with a new socket 754 Sempron 3100+
which will run circles around an XP 3000+. Clock it from it's default
1.8GHz to about 2.4GHz easily, and then it'll beat any socket A cpu by a
long shot. Oh, and no matter what you decide to do don't get PC2700 or
even PC3200 ram. Get something in the PC4000 range and be on the safe
side. I think the Sempron 3100+ is only a few bucks more than the 3000+
XP.. If you de3cide to stay with your MB, get a 2400+ XP-M for less than
the 3000+ and clock it up to about 2200MHz or more. And you won't have to
replace your ram either unless you just want to. This would be the
cheapest upgrade and faster than the XP 3000+.

huh?? show me the reviews that line up a xp mobile rumnning at 2.5+ with a
sempron 3100 acually beating it..itself being multiplier CAPPED and the L2
being 1/2 the size

sure th sempron has A benifit the on die mem controller
now the costs sempron 121+ mobo 56++ mem 125(512 dual channel same as b
low)
amd mobile 77 + kt880 mobo 42 + same memory 125
its only 58 dollars more until you start adding for a better mobo

agreed the 754 is more modern
BUT
talk to me again when the 939 sempron comes out in a month or 2
now that may be sweet but yet more expensive witth the n-force4 mobo at 200
+++ right now
Old December 10th 04, 11:32 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:08:37 +0000, bill bixby wrote:

[...]

Do you really have doubts that a Sempron 3100+ overclocked to the same
speed of an XP-M wouldn't beat it? Just look at any review that show XP's
compared to 754 Semprons. Look a t the clock speed of each and that should
tell you the truth. here's the 3100+ at stock 1.8GHz. see what it does to
XP's clock higher than that.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2139&p=1

Now here's a 3100+ overclocked to 2500MHz compared to A64's and P4's. if
this does do it for you then you're blind.:-)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...n-3100-oc.html

sure th sempron has A benifit the on die mem controller
now the costs sempron 121+ mobo 56++ mem 125(512 dual channel same as b
low)
amd mobile 77 + kt880 mobo 42 + same memory 125
its only 58 dollars more until you start adding for a better mobo

agreed the 754 is more modern
BUT
talk to me again when the 939 sempron comes out in a month or 2

939 only produces about a 3-5% overall performance gain over 754 when the
cpu's are equal. People hype dual channel way out of proportion.

now that may be sweet but yet more expensive witth the n-force4 mobo at
200 +++ right now

And why would you want to pay 3 times the cost of a 754 board? Sure makes
that 3% expensive.

Old December 10th 04, 01:20 PM
bill bixby

Do you really have doubts that a Sempron 3100+ overclocked to the same
speed of an XP-M wouldn't beat it? Just look at any review that show
XP's compared to 754 Semprons. Look a t the clock speed of each and that
should tell you the truth. here's the 3100+ at stock 1.8GHz. see what it
does to XP's clock higher than that.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2139&p=1

____and still have not seen anything about a properly OCed xp-m against a
3100+
but atleast we know that a 3100 will out run a STOCK duron, 1700+ or
celery wow what a surprise

well now that its morning
try this http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?
dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03MjImdXJsX3BhZ2U9NQ==

showing a xp-m at under 2.4 which is under the average or maximum Overclock
and wow it out paces the A64 3000+ quite nicely
It also seemed to outproform the 3gHz northwoods core on a test or
2 but on the gaming benches the 700mHz higherclock on the P4 and the on die
mem controler edges out the mobile

i would say 1 given the cost increase on the 754
and anyway it HARDLY runs circles aroud the ol' barton core mobile

the beni that i mention earlier ..did show in 3dmark and gaming benches
....which quincedently means NOTHING to me
compile/video encodes/super pi tell me alot more.. hence my new dualie rig

WHAT SAY YOU??
Old December 10th 04, 09:45 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:20:06 +0000, bill bixby wrote:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2139&p=1

____and still have not seen anything about a properly OCed xp-m against a
3100+
but atleast we know that a 3100 will out run a STOCK duron, 1700+ or
celery wow what a surprise

Did yo miss the fact that at it's stock 1.8GHz it also outperformed every
single XP listed, including the 2600+ Barton, and by 40% and more in some
test.

well now that its morning
try this http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?
dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03MjImdXJsX3BhZ2U9NQ==

showing a xp-m at under 2.4 which is under the average or maximum Overclock
and wow it out paces the A64 3000+ quite nicely

I don't know what article you read, but if you have added the score for
all test ran, you woukld have found that They actually tied (6-6) in all
test run. Now that's with a stock A64 3000+ and an oc XP. The A64 beats
the XP in all 12 test at when the XP is at stock speed. Noiw oc the A64
like they did the XP and the XP wouldn't even come close to winning a
single test. BTW, your news reader wrapped the link. Hopefully, this one
isn't wrapped if others care to see.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...X3BhZ2U9NQ= =

It also seemed to outproform the 3gHz northwoods core on a test or 2
but on the gaming benches the 700mHz higherclock on the P4 and the on
die mem controler edges out the mobile

Funny you mention this but fail to mention the A64 beat the XP in all, and
beat the P4 in 4 of 6. I smell a little bios here.:-)

i would say 1 given the cost increase on the 754
and anyway it HARDLY runs circles aroud the ol' barton core mobile

And that's the bios talking, not the facts.

the beni that i mention earlier ..did show in 3dmark and gaming benches
...which quincedently means NOTHING to me compile/video encodes/super pi
tell me alot more.. hence my new dualie rig

WHAT SAY YOU??

I think I've made my point using your own data. I have nothing else to say
on this matter. I'll let others decide. Just looks to me like you don't
want to face the facts. And the facts are that the A64 core is about
20-30% faster than the XP core at the same clockspeed. That's a fact no
one can deny.

Old December 10th 04, 10:20 PM
bill bixby

like beating a dead horse
now i was saying the math benches also the encoding tests
the xp walked away handily

where as the synthetic "gaming" benches the p4 or a64 won with the latest
instruction set and

the memory bandwidth was lost on as i originally said
bang i stay with the xp-m if you want it to DO something if you want to brag
spend a few hundred more

oh yes the point of the 939 sempron was the ability to place in it a UN
capped 64 bit processor at a later date

hey if you got the bucks buy the latest off the R&D bench and keep AMD in
business

fare thee well