SATA Question

Old December 1st 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff

Default SATA Question

Perhaps someone could explain something I don't understand about the hype
about 1.5 vs. 3 Sata. Forgive me if I'm not using the precise terminology -
corrections are welcome.

The figures obviously refer to the speed of the interface and not the
transfer rates of the drives themselves. The drive transfer rates are far
slower. It would take multiple drives to fill the bandwidth of even the 1.5
SATA bus, however. In a SCSI system, placing an older drive on a newer bus
will drop the bus speed, which could slow down the bus so that it
potentially could be slower than a few of the newer, faster drives working
together. ...but I am told that since SATA is serial, that placing a 1.5
Sata on the same bus as a 3.0 will not slow it down since each scsi port is
essentially isolated and not affected by the others. Further, the 1.5 is
still much faster than several drives even though typically only a single
drive is used per sata channel/port. I'm aware that it is possible to use (I
think it is called) a port multiplier to place several sata drives on the
same port, so that's the only situation that I can fathom where the bus
speed might matter.

In sum, what benefits actually occur with having a SATA 2 instead of a SATA
1? I don't understand how there could be any unless one were running
multiple drives off of a single port with a port multiplier. ...but I keep
hearing people say otherwise. What am I not understanding?

Jeff

Old December 1st 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Rod will explain it, he knows everything, always . . .

-g

Old December 1st 06, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Jeff wrote:

Perhaps someone could explain something I don't understand about the hype about 1.5 vs. 3 Sata.
Forgive me if I'm not using the precise terminology - corrections are welcome.

The figures obviously refer to the speed of the interface and not the transfer rates of the drives
themselves. The drive transfer rates are far slower.

Correct.

It would take multiple drives to fill the bandwidth of even the 1.5 SATA bus, however.

But the SATA system normally only has 1
drive per cable, except with port multipliers.

In a SCSI system, placing an older drive on a newer bus will drop the bus speed, which could slow
down the bus so that it potentially could be slower than a few of the newer, faster drives working
together.

Its more complicated than that in practice.

...but I am told that since SATA is serial, that placing a 1.5 Sata on the same bus as a 3.0

In practice that doesnt happen except with port multipliers.

will not slow it down since each scsi port is essentially isolated and not affected by the others.

Correct if you meant sata.

Further, the 1.5 is still much faster than several drives even though typically only a single
drive is used per sata channel/port.

Correct.

I'm aware that it is possible to use (I think it is called) a port multiplier to place several
sata drives on the same port,

Correct.

so that's the only situation that I can fathom where the bus speed might matter.

It does give more future too.

In sum, what benefits actually occur with having a SATA 2 instead of a SATA 1?

None unless you are using a port multiplier.

I don't understand how there could be any unless one were
running multiple drives off of a single port with a port multiplier.

Thats the main time it can matter.

...but I keep hearing people say otherwise.

They dont understand the basics, that the thruput is determined by the
drive physical detail, RPM and sectors per track, not the interface speed.

What am I not understanding?

Nothing important.

Old December 1st 06, 06:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Geoff" wrote:

Rod will explain it, he knows everything, always . . .

-g

lol
Old December 1st 06, 07:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

What? No ****wit remarks?

Not feeling well?

-g

Old December 1st 06, 09:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
John Doe who is actually

Mark Bender
509 Frost,San Antonio, TX 78201
(210) 734-3107

wrote absolutely nothing, as always.

Old December 1st 06, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

You lucky guy, you're a ****wit, what an honor to even have rod reply to
you.

Notice the short messages, asking a question, and who has the answer right
away? rod . . .

I am sure he posts them then answers them to prove how smart he is.

-g

Old December 1st 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanShania

right now the difference is minimal, but if your building a computer, make
sure it has Sata 2 standard
All the new AM2 boards are Sata 2. Sata 2 is the future for now. Sata 1 is
disappearing
--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 Pro 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, winSPWW2, winSPMBT, Call of Duty War Chest

Old December 3rd 06, 08:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jt3

Why don't you cool it?

Joe
"Geoff" wrote in message