P5B problem with built in sound...

Old September 8th 06, 11:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
persa

Default P5B problem with built in sound...

I have problems with sound distorsion on the built in sound card of my
P5B motherboard when accessing disk and when also when any graphical
activity is done on screen.

I am not sure how to track these problems down, anyone got good advice
to offer?

/Per

Old September 8th 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Dietmar

Yes,
buy a PCI-soundcard an built it in. I have the same problems with my
A8N-SLI.

Greetings

ups.com...

Old September 9th 06, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Irv

will these problems also occur using the onboard spdif or optical audio
outputs?
bummer if it does.

Old September 9th 06, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

In article . com, "persa"
wrote:

I have problems with sound distorsion on the built in sound card of my
P5B motherboard when accessing disk and when also when any graphical
activity is done on screen.

I am not sure how to track these problems down, anyone got good advice
to offer?

/Per

Are you using the four pin analog CD cable, between your CD drive
and the sound chip ? Sometimes that cable functions as an antenna
and picks up interference from the other electronics. Optical
drives can use digital audio extraction (DAE) to read music data
from an optical disk, which means the analog cable is no longer
needed and the analog cable can be disconnected.

Also, on your mixer control panel, you can "mute" all unneeded
input sources. Sometimes that will improve the "noise floor"
of the sound system.

Replacing the onboard sound with a PCI card will certainly give
you a different sound solution, and that may be enough to fix it.
I have one motherboard where the software for the onboard sound
is not very good, and I use a $7 sound card with a CMI8738 chip
on it, to replace the motherboard sound chip.

Paul
Old September 11th 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
persa

I don't know as I don't have any psdif/optical equipment to test it
with. I am using a simple 4 speaker system + subwoofer connected to the
3.5 mm audio outputs.

Old September 11th 06, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
persa

I think I actually did connect the analog audio cable from the DVD
drive, I will test without it and see if it does any difference.

/Per

Old September 12th 06, 08:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
persa

I removed the analog CD cable but it didn't solve the problem with
crackling and distorted sound when any harddrive or graphics activity
is going on.

Got an extra PCI sound card connected now to have acceptable sound
quality...

/Per