computer case

Old October 8th 15, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default computer case

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 6:40:11 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
[...]
That means, the case has to be big enough, so that there is
surface area to mount fans, as well as surface area for intake
vents or exhaust vents. There is a "case cooling" equation,
which relates expected power dissipation of the internal items,
to the number of CFMs of fans to be mounted on the outside
of the case. You cannot make the case so small, that the required
fans cannot be fitted. Your main objective is to keep an internal
case temperature suited to the long term health of hard drives.
Other silicon only devices might be able to take a few more
degrees of heat.

I recently saw someone's gamer machine and the case was probably
3ft x 3ft x 1ft (1m x 1m x 30cm) in size. I don't know what the heck
it was.
Old October 8th 15, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Davej wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 6:40:11 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
[...]
That means, the case has to be big enough, so that there is
surface area to mount fans, as well as surface area for intake
vents or exhaust vents. There is a "case cooling" equation,
which relates expected power dissipation of the internal items,
to the number of CFMs of fans to be mounted on the outside
of the case. You cannot make the case so small, that the required
fans cannot be fitted. Your main objective is to keep an internal
case temperature suited to the long term health of hard drives.
Other silicon only devices might be able to take a few more
degrees of heat.

I recently saw someone's gamer machine and the case was probably
3ft x 3ft x 1ft (1m x 1m x 30cm) in size. I don't know what the heck
it was.

You will see cases like that reviewed on the enthusiast sites.

And when the case is big enough to handle an EATX form
factor, it might be referred to as a "server case". Some
of those server cases cost around $2000 (if purchased
directly from the manufacturer). Examples of some of that
stuff can be found here. I expect some of the products
on this site, are no longer made, and they're selling
existing stock.

http://www.servercase.com

Now, this is a computer case! Room for 36 drives.
Room for three power supplies (redundant configurations).
Doubles as a park bench, if you want to sit on it.
$2595.00

http://www.servercase.com/Merchant2/...ode=GHI-690-SM

Paul
Old October 8th 15, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Black[_2_]

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015, Paul wrote:

Davej wrote:
[...]

In 1975 I got a Baudot teletype machine, 5bits. I played with it for a
while, eventually scrapping it. But it came with a two-drawer extension
that I detached and have used for years to keep things in.

I should find a small mother board that fits in one of the drawers and
make that into a computer case. Build a desk around the set of drawers.

Michael

Old October 9th 15, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 8:52:33 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
Davej wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 6:40:11 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
[...]
That means, the case has to be big enough, so that there is
surface area to mount fans, as well as surface area for intake
vents or exhaust vents.

I recently saw someone's gamer machine and the case was probably
3ft x 3ft x 1ft (1m x 1m x 30cm) in size. I don't know what the heck
it was.

You will see cases like that reviewed on the enthusiast sites.
[...]

Here, it was something like this...

Old October 9th 15, 03:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Davej wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 6:40:11 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
[...]
That means, the case has to be big enough, so that there is
surface area to mount fans, as well as surface area for intake
vents or exhaust vents.

I recently saw someone's gamer machine and the case was probably
3ft x 3ft x 1ft (1m x 1m x 30cm) in size. I don't know what the heck
it was.

You will see cases like that reviewed on the enthusiast sites.
[...]

Here, it was something like this...

Even with a big case, there's never enough room. This is
a HAF932, with an externally mounted radiator. Must be fun
connecting the LCD monitor to the video card connector.

http://cdn.overclock.net/4/4d/4d6b55...sfe05c682.jpeg

Paul
Old October 11th 15, 04:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 5:56:32 PM UTC+8, dilbert firestorm wrote:

do cube cases make sense?

Perhaps if you have multiple computers and not much room.
Shuttles may look cool, but they are a PITA.
I have seen a Silverstone slightly bigger than Shuttle sardine can,
try one of those.
Old October 24th 15, 10:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

On 9/25/2015 4:56 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
just curious...

what computer case(s) would you recommend for gaming & rendering?

do cube cases make sense?
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

thanx for the comments about the case suggestions. they are useful.

I've started another thread "computer case part 2" it lists the possible
cases I might go with. would appreciate comments on it.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

Old October 25th 15, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 7:40:11 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

The computer case helps separate you from the computer. If you
like to spill beverages, it can keep the beverage from entering
the ATX power supply. Someone here, managed to spill a beverage
onto their computer case, and because it had a recessed open vent
on the top of the case, liquid was able to get inside the case.
And caused the ATX PSU to "sizzle". That's generally considered
bad. So the first thing we learn from that, is the top surface
of the case should be "solid and vent-free".

I had a Fractal case with top vent, can't remember if was R3 or R4 model.
The top filter was very thick, and I did spill a beverage and it did not
get to damage any parts.

computer case poort General 9 August 19th 06 01:13 AM
BTX Computer Case J Thinkpad Homebuilt PC's 2 February 24th 06 12:15 AM
I need an computer case Matthew Homebuilt PC's 3 September 5th 04 02:29 PM
computer case emily General Hardware 0 December 23rd 03 08:43 AM
computer case emily General Hardware 0 December 23rd 03 03:07 AM