Upgrade Motherboard on 5BW160

Old October 2nd 04, 04:02 AM
rdukb

Default Upgrade Motherboard on 5BW160

Hi All,

I've a Compaq Presario (Model: 5BW160) that came with a P-III/700Mhz.
I wanted to upgrade the Motherboard and processor to P-4 2.8AGHz. I
got a motherboard combo online. I am looking for some info if the
upgrade will be possible. Compaq used to have a document on their
site that described how to replace the motherboard that is no longer
available. I've a 648-FX Motherboard that I hope to replace.

Any help will deeply appreciated

Rajesh

Old October 2nd 04, 05:17 AM
Ben Myers

You also need to replace the power supply with one capable of powering a Pentium
4, which requires an additional 12 connector to the motherboard. Your best bet
is to mount the motherboard in a new case, then move all the devices from the
Compaq case to the new one.

Not exactly sure which model of Presario you have there, but many of them have
some unusual connectors to the front panel. I did a replacement of a blown
Presario motherboard, but used a nearly new and more standard case for eveything
else... Ben Myers

Old October 2nd 04, 12:13 PM
HH

Check the Compaq FAQ swapping out motherboards in Presarios. Not usually
a wise move.
HH

"rdukb" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've a Compaq Presario (Model: 5BW160) that came with a P-III/700Mhz.
I wanted to upgrade the Motherboard and processor to P-4 2.8AGHz. I
got a motherboard combo online. I am looking for some info if the
upgrade will be possible. Compaq used to have a document on their
site that described how to replace the motherboard that is no longer
available. I've a 648-FX Motherboard that I hope to replace.

Any help will deeply appreciated

Rajesh

ECS 848P-A motherboard & Pent 4 - 2.4MHz upgrade - NO BEEP!! not booting up TMgo Homebuilt PC's 2 November 9th 04 10:28 PM
Upgrade or new ?? hardrive and or motherboard & tower Jan General 6 August 31st 04 07:20 AM
Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Motherboard upgrade Jay Asus Motherboards 0 May 13th 04 02:29 AM
Which motherboard to upgrade to? Prime Asus Motherboards 5 February 27th 04 10:39 PM