RESTORE PARTITION

Old April 29th 04, 11:43 PM
anon

Default RESTORE PARTITION

I managed to destroy a friends Presario S3100AN by repartitioning his
hard drive and deleting the recovery partition (due to lack of
forethought / knowledge on Comcrap systems!!!)

Can anyone tell me how to restore the recovery partition WITHOUT the
recovery disks (which he has lost)???

OR.... is there ANY way to flash the BIOS so that the comp. will boot
WITHOUT first checking for the recovery partition???? So we can
maximise the use of his paltry 40G hard drive by using the 12G or so
that was set for the recovery part. ???

All help or suggestions appreciated

Osiris

Old April 30th 04, 12:25 AM
Deep

I always found it interesting how those who F$%# things up because they
weren't smart enough to figure out anything before hand are those who hate
the company of the product they F#$@ED up!

Order a new set of recovery disks from Compaq/HP and save yourself a HUGE
hassle.

Deep

Old April 30th 04, 01:30 AM
Tom Scales

I don't think you have a choice but to order the two disk set. Your friends
machine only came with one disk that requires the system_sav partition.

Tom
et.cable.rogers.com...

Old April 30th 04, 06:49 AM
anon

Thankyou Deep for your input... however, I really didn't need your
slight verbal attack.

This was my first (and I will say, definitely my LAST) experience with
Compaq. I knew that Apple Macs and Linux systems were totally different
from the Windows or general systems I have had years of experience with.
But I did NOT have any reason to suspect that anymanufacturer would
put such a ridiculous limitation on their consumers ability to upgrade
or use their computer as they wished.

WHAT possible reason or benefit can there be for blocking off a good
quarter or so of a measly 40G hard drive in a $3000 system. GROSSLY
overpriced for the specs. of the system, and I have since shown my
friend the light.

Once we get his system running again, the kids are getting that machine.
He's now gonna build his next system himself, for about 1/3 the price,
and result in a much better quality and value computer.

Thanx again for the input.

PS: we have contacted Comcrap, and he does not wish to part with
another $70 (here in Australia) for the disk to replace the disks HE
(not me) lost!!!

Old April 30th 04, 06:51 AM
anon

My friend (no, NOT a cliqued denial of myself making the blunder...
genuinely a work colleague) says he made a series of recovery disks as
soon as he got the machine home, as the retailer had suggested. He
ended up with 6 CD's.

Somehow, he has managed to lose ONLY disk 1... he still has the other 5!!!

How can Compaq supply us with just one recovery disk, when his machine
created 6???

Thanx again for the input

Tom Scales wrote:
I don't think you have a choice but to order the two disk set. Your friends
machine only came with one disk that requires the system_sav partition.

Tom
et.cable.rogers.com...

Old April 30th 04, 06:53 AM
anon

sorry..... cliche`d

Old April 30th 04, 11:51 AM
HH

They cannot. Your friend's Compaq is one of the newest models for which no
Recovery or QuickRestore CDs came with it. You will have to contact Compaq.
HH

Tom Scales wrote:
I don't think you have a choice but to order the two disk set. Your

friends
machine only came with one disk that requires the system_sav partition.

Tom
et.cable.rogers.com...

Old April 30th 04, 02:59 PM
Kevin Childers

"anon" wrote in message

I managed to destroy a friends Presario S3100AN by repartitioning his
hard drive and deleting the recovery partition (due to lack of
forethought / knowledge on Comcrap systems!!!)

Can anyone tell me how to restore the recovery partition WITHOUT the
recovery disks (which he has lost)???

OR.... is there ANY way to flash the BIOS so that the comp. will boot
WITHOUT first checking for the recovery partition???? So we can
maximise the use of his paltry 40G hard drive by using the 12G or so
that was set for the recovery part. ???

All help or suggestions appreciated

Osiris

This was a variation that at the time probably made sense to some one in
the developmental end of the company. Newer machines are set-up
differently. As I recall Compaq did this as one of the first
implementations of an easy restore process. When they came out with it the
general consensus was if you screwed up the OS, et al, your were screwed.
Time to reload everything from scratch, d/l all the drivers again etc. With
Compaqs though you had a fall back to the original setup. Granted your data
and any subsequent program additions were gone, but at least you weren't
totally dead in the water. The partition was required to hold all of the
data for the restore and it was formatted in such a way to prevent albeit
well meaning, end users from messing with it. Better implementations have
come and gone, but this was one of the first and first editions of a lot of
technologies are less than perfect but better than what preceded them.

KC

Old April 30th 04, 03:03 PM
Kevin Childers

Factory original recovery disk with the partition vs. end user recovery
disk, probably w/o the partition. If he can find disk one he might be out
of the woods. Alternately, and this applies to most folks, he can dig
around and he might find the original recovery disk (2) that came with the
system. Different types of recovery disk using differing implementations of
the same concept.

KC

Tom Scales wrote:
I don't think you have a choice but to order the two disk set. Your

friends
machine only came with one disk that requires the system_sav partition.

Tom
et.cable.rogers.com...

Old April 30th 04, 03:05 PM
Kevin Childers

My apologies for my previous post, I misread the model, I thought he was
referring to one of the earlier models.

"Move along, nothing to see here. Just a man trying to remove his foot
from his mouth. Move along now."

KC

Tom Scales wrote:
I don't think you have a choice but to order the two disk set. Your

friends
machine only came with one disk that requires the system_sav

partition.

Tom

et.cable.rogers.com...