softpaq won't create floppies

Old April 1st 04, 02:23 AM
Earl F. Parrish

Default softpaq won't create floppies

"bobG" wrote in message
om...
I deleted my BIOS in my Compaq Deskpro 4000n 5233MMX. Oops. I know
can live without it, but I'd like to restore the BIOS partition if
possible. I've done some searching in groups, and found what I
think
is the right download, SP8126.exe

This download won't create series of floppies, however. It says it
is
supposed to, but after I download the file, then it
tells me the download is too large for the media. I know this. If
the
download is 2.8Mb, it should be 2 or 3 floppies, depending on how
it
is packaged, right? What am I missing here? BTW, the system in
question is not online or on a network. :-(

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. You can abuse me, too, if
you
like. I know it was a dumb thing to do in the first place. That
CMOS
is just about worthless anyway.

Go to the HP site and download the bootable floppy setup files. To
recreate the BIOS partition may wipe your existing partition. The
BIOS partition has to be the first one on the drive. If the hard
drive failed, you would have a way to get into the BIOS.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old April 1st 04, 02:18 PM
bobG

"HH" wrote in message ...
You are double clicking on the SoftPaq .EXE file, correct?
HH

"bobG" wrote in message
om...
I deleted my BIOS in my Compaq Deskpro 4000n 5233MMX. Oops. I know I
can live without it, but I'd like to restore the BIOS partition if
possible. I've done some searching in groups, and found what I think
is the right download, SP8126.exe

This download won't create series of floppies, however. It says it is
supposed to, but after I download the file, then it
tells me the download is too large for the media. I know this. If the
download is 2.8Mb, it should be 2 or 3 floppies, depending on how it
is packaged, right? What am I missing here? BTW, the system in
question is not online or on a network. :-(

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. You can abuse me, too, if you
like. I know it was a dumb thing to do in the first place. That CMOS
is just about worthless anyway.

HH-

Thanks for pointing out my obvious error. That's what happens when I
try to do things late at night. Much obliged. All is well. Now I have
to see if the old box will accept them after I re-format.

Very Embarressed,

Bob
Old April 2nd 04, 12:11 AM
bobG

"Earl F. Parrish" wrote in message .. .
"bobG" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to all in the Group who helped. I have successfully
re-installed the F10 Diagnostic Utility. The key to this is to have NO
partitions on the drive prior to the install. Am now re-installing my
OS. All is well. Thanks again.
Bob
Old April 3rd 04, 02:17 PM
DEJ57

The key to this is to have NO
partitions on the drive prior to the install.

Point of fact. One can actually install the utility with partitions and OS
installed, but it takes a HDD management tool like PartitionIT that can create
blank space at the beginning of the drive, by moving the existing partitions.
At least I did it several times on my 4112. But I would agree its best to
start from scratch...

Dale
Old April 4th 04, 03:33 PM
DEJ57

OK, I'll accept that as an addendum to my knowledge of the situation. Thanks.

Bob

Just noting for all those who had interest in this question. It is possible to
load the Compaq Partition without starting from scratch--with partitions and OS
installed. Could save someone else much time...

Dale
Old April 5th 04, 10:18 PM
DEJ57

Yes, but only if one has one of those partitioning software programs
around. Otherwise, one must begin at the beginning.

......that should go without saying....

Do you have a problem with me pointing out that there is an option other than
starting from scratch, and what that option is? For seven years the advice
from Compaq and others on this board has been that you have to start with an
empty HDD to install the Compaq Partition. I've been the only one to point out
that there is actually another method to install it. And I've done it. Surely
Quarterdeck sold more than a handful of PartitionIt and SelectIt, and if you
have access to PartitionIt, wonderful.
If you don't, start from scratch....

Dale