card choice?

Old November 14th 07, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal[_2_]

Default card choice?

I recently RMA'd a 7900gs and in the interim I bought an 8600GT. The older
7900GS came back from XFX (great company to deal with on RMA's) and now I
have both. To the gamers, which card is the better one to use? The DX10
compliance is not a deal breaker, I just want to use the faster, better
card. The comparison charts are all over the place with the 7900 seemingly
the better card mostly. I currently have the 8600GT installed but if it's
worth the swap I'd do it.
Ssytem is a dual core Ath, 2GB RAM, XP/Vista dual boot
Thanks guys!!

Old November 14th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

goPostal wrote:
To the gamers, which card is the better one to use?

Good god, test them yourself and arrive at your own conclusions.

You have both in your possession and only you can see the precise
differences between the two in the games you play and in the
configuration they will habit.

Learned helplessness is very unattractive. Yuck.
Old November 14th 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
news
goPostal wrote:
To the gamers, which card is the better one to use?

Good god, test them yourself and arrive at your own conclusions.

You have both in your possession and only you can see the precise
differences between the two in the games you play and in the configuration
they will habit.

Learned helplessness is very unattractive. Yuck.

So is pretentiousness. This is a discussion group for umm....discussing
Nvidia cards.

You are a fountain of great knowledge E and you have always been helpful but
lately your posts have taken a markedly negative turn. There's absolutely no
reason to make derogatory personal comments other than to satisfy some
childish need to belittle people. Yes, you obviously know much more than I
about video cards so that is why I am asking. If you can't reply without
adding some silly dig at my ineptness then how about just skipping my post
and moving on? I doubt you treat colleagues or family with such disdain. How
about some of the same kindness afforded to strangers...

Old November 14th 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

goPostal wrote:

How
about some of the same kindness afforded to strangers...

You don't know me, stop pretending you do.

My comments still stand: both cards are in your possession, only you can
make meaningful distinctions between the two in your circumstances. Any
other comments as to their performance is second hand compared to what
you can find out for yourself.

Your desire for small talk and technical masturbation is best handled in
a coffeeshop or site forums, where the other bored souls reside and
rehash the same topics over and over again.

It is as if the level of understanding of the posters to this NG is
purposely being reduced to the level of the village idiot. So if you
take offense to my refusal to accept the slow slide into banality, so be it.

Old November 14th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
tony h

Mr E could, perhaps, have phrased his answer better, though his point is
valid.
Every PC is different, and hardware behaves differently in different
configurations.
best thing you can do is run 3dmark on each card (or play your favorite
game), shouldnt take an hour to do both,
then you will have the definitive answer, and you could tell us!

Old November 14th 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

The 7900GS is a pig in Vista. I benched one in a
Dell Dimension 9100, and it died dead during the
benchmarks ... esp Crysis GPU ... 4FPS. I've
got a lab full of the 8600 GTS , and I benched it
with AquaMark3 at 142,000. That is a record
in my experience. A 7950 GT under the same
test benched 103,000, but in XP, and is not
a Dx10 card. Kind of a no-brainer ... 8600 is
considerably faster, and is Dx10.

johns

Old November 15th 07, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"tony h" wrote in message

Mr E could, perhaps, have phrased his answer better, though his point
is valid.
Every PC is different, and hardware behaves differently in different
configurations.
best thing you can do is run 3dmark on each card (or play your
favorite game), shouldnt take an hour to do both,
then you will have the definitive answer, and you could tell us!

Or he could Google this very group. 99% of all reasonable questions have
already been asked and answered. The 7900GS is faster than an 8600GT (which
is roughly in 7600GT territory). The 8600GTS is in 7900GS territory.

Old November 15th 07, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal[_2_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
goPostal wrote:

How about some of the same kindness afforded to strangers...

You don't know me, stop pretending you do.

I'm quickly coming to the decision I don't ever care to. The
passive-aggressive behavior is such a turn-off.

My comments still stand: both cards are in your possession, only you can
make meaningful distinctions between the two in your circumstances. Any
other comments as to their performance is second hand compared to what you
can find out for yourself.

I've done quite a lot of reading about comparing the two. I've not seen two
fairly equal cards score so oddly in differing tests. In some the 79 smokes
the 86, and in others it's quite the opposite. I just seek to understand
why. Not everyone has an electronics background and even they had to learn
it newly sometime.

Your desire for small talk and technical masturbation is best handled in a
coffeeshop or site forums, where the other bored souls reside and rehash
the same topics over and over again.

As opposed to the lengthy and detailed diatribes posted so frequently here?
Most posts are six lines, max. How else would you describe "small talk"? And
there is a great difference between bored souls and people who share common
interests and like to discuss them. If you are bored then you should find
something better to occupy your time.

It is as if the level of understanding of the posters to this NG is
purposely being reduced to the level of the village idiot. So if you take
offense to my refusal to accept the slow slide into banality, so be it.

So now it's the other posters too that are comparable with village idiots? I
should have added elitist to my opinion of you. What, pray tell, is
acceptable posting here in the land of E?

Old November 15th 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

DRS wrote:
"tony h" wrote in message

Mr E could, perhaps, have phrased his answer better, though his point
is valid.
Every PC is different, and hardware behaves differently in different
configurations.
best thing you can do is run 3dmark on each card (or play your
favorite game), shouldnt take an hour to do both,
then you will have the definitive answer, and you could tell us!

Or he could Google this very group. 99% of all reasonable questions have
already been asked and answered. The 7900GS is faster than an 8600GT (which
is roughly in 7600GT territory). The 8600GTS is in 7900GS territory.

In both instances the OP has an opportunity, as a frequent reader which
he claims to be, to contribute something that would probably be of
interest to a lot of group readers (many lurk, few post).

You can't educate a soul through embarrassment, since embarrassment
doesn't encourage a person to learn for themselves. So I'll instead echo
both of those suggestions up there which are the answer to your
question, and both require some effort on your part, and would be
pleased to assist you in interpreting those results, but which I suspect
you are quite capable of doing yourself. Yes?
Old November 15th 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal[_2_]

"DRS" wrote in message
"tony h" wrote in message

Mr E could, perhaps, have phrased his answer better, though his point
is valid.
Every PC is different, and hardware behaves differently in different
configurations.
best thing you can do is run 3dmark on each card (or play your
favorite game), shouldnt take an hour to do both,
then you will have the definitive answer, and you could tell us!

Or he could Google this very group. 99% of all reasonable questions have
already been asked and answered. The 7900GS is faster than an 8600GT
(which is roughly in 7600GT territory). The 8600GTS is in 7900GS
territory.

Yet you find benchmarks like johns (next post down) that show another side.
Is this due to the shader renderer being more advanced on the 8 series?

Guys I sincerely apologize if my post was offensive for being too
simplistic. I've always found NG's to be a great stepping-off point when
learning about something new. I also accept that some groups have certain
regulars who set the tone and at times these can conflict with each other.

Best choice for next card... Adam Parkin Ati Videocards 7 October 7th 05 02:35 AM
choice of vid card? Lee Ati Videocards 3 February 1st 04 01:27 AM
help with vid card choice Jay Overclocking AMD Processors 8 January 19th 04 12:31 AM
New Video Card Choice Darrell Royal Ati Videocards 3 December 14th 03 03:15 PM
New Gfx card choice Blakey Nvidia Videocards 3 October 24th 03 11:38 AM