Do you guys just search and search for different suppliers?

Old August 1st 03, 03:06 AM
jm

Default Do you guys just search and search for different suppliers?

Man this is hard work. I am looking here and there to beat shipping and
other stuff. I find a little cheaper here and there, maybe a dollar or two,
but it adds up.

Do you folks just stick to one supplier or use something like
http://www.pricewatch.com and look for the best deal?

Old August 1st 03, 03:46 AM
Strontium

I buy, locally.

-

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old August 1st 03, 04:52 AM
callsignviper

"jm" wrote in message
Man this is hard work. I am looking here and there to beat shipping and
other stuff. I find a little cheaper here and there, maybe a dollar or

two,
but it adds up.

Do you folks just stick to one supplier or use something like
http://www.pricewatch.com and look for the best deal?

I use Pricewatch to get ball park prices. Then I watch local ads for the
best deals I can find.

My first criteria is the least out of pocket cost for the item. I normally
don't allow rebates to influence my buying decision. If initial cost is
right and there is a rebate as well I'll send it in but I don't count on it
showing up rapidly.

I try to use coupons from the office supply stores to lower my out of pocket
expense. Most office supply stores will send coupons via email if you sign
up at their websites for early ad notification or similar.

Here's an example from this week:

Maxtor 120 GB, 8 MB cache, 7200 RPM, ATA 133 Hard Drive (Retail packaged NOT
OEM)
Cash price: $96.13 which includes tax (no shipping)
$30 MIR which if received will reduce the cost to $66.13 (other people have
managed better through price matches, etc. but $96 keeps me happy with the
possibility of $66)

Office Depot advertised price: $109.84
Less coupon for $20 off $100 purchase: $89.84
Tax (7%(ouch)): $6.29
Cash price: $96.13 (I couldn't find that HD on Pricewatch for that price)
Less $30 MIR: $66.13

Some things I buy at a computer show that comes to my area about once a
month. I use Pricewatch as a reference so I can tell if a computer show
merchant has a reasonable price. I limit my purchases to new, in-the-box,
retail packaged items with full manufacturer warranty........just in case.
Last month I got my Athlon 2500 XP+ (retail package) for $95 which was very
close to the lowest price I found on Pricewatch.

I have one local small shop that I buy from once in a while. The owner's
prices are a mixed bag of reasonable to verging on outrageous for some
things. I only buy the reasonably priced items he offers.

Just shop around.......the deals are available with a little
effort......such as mouse clicks!

Check the following for deals:

www.techbargains.com (be sure to check the forums)
www.fatwallet.com (be sure to check the forums)
www.salescircular.com (Sunday ad items listed by state for most of the big
retailers)
www.staples.com (sign up for email deals, coupons, and offers)
www.officedepot.com (sign up for email deals, coupons, and offers)
www.officemax.com (sign up for email deals, coupons, and offers)

Check a merchant's reliability he

www.resellerratings.com

HTH.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old August 1st 03, 05:03 AM
MCheu

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 03:03:11 GMT, "jm"
wrote::

Did you develop a good relationship or is it just cheaper where you live?

"Strontium" wrote in message
I buy, locally.

I do the same as Strontium. I too, buy locally, unless I can't find
what I need.

I live in Toronto, so prices are pretty good locally, but things
aren't *THAT* much cheaper outside Toronto (in fact just outside of
town, stuff is a few bucks cheaper still). Buying online is just
basically mail order, so there's shipping to consider, and some online
stores seem to get really creative with shipping/handling fees to
recoup the cost of selling hardware at their list prices.

There's also more to buying locally than just the cost (and you don't
save much online IMO). Here are my reasons for buying locally:

First, we're talking about instant gratification here. That's a
biggie. If I buy online, I would have to wait a few days to weeks for
processing and shipping. If I buy locally, I'm at home and online
with my loot the same day.

Second, before buying, I can play around with the display models in
the store. While you online buyers are staring at the pictures and
asking for advice on USENET, I've already sampled the goods and know
which one is good for me.

Third, if it doesn't work out, there's enough complaints about crappy
online customer service on the boards for me to know that it's going
to take a lot of phone tag, red tape, and waiting to get a defective
thingy replaced. Locally, I can take it back for an exchange the same
day. Sweet.

Fourth, if I need help figuring out stuff, good luck to those of you
who bought online. Get another hobby while you're on hold (and
racking up the long distance charges) or waiting for your email
response. It takes considerably less time to get help from a local
store, and because their volume is less, they might actually know who
you are and exactly what you're talking about. If not, I can haul my
rig down to the store and show the guy what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

MCheu
Old August 1st 03, 06:13 AM
JAD

I too shop pricewatch.com to get an idea... then I keep Mwave.com honest
;^) they will usually meet most prices if they can, and then I buy from
them...they are one of the top web sites, also they are local, AND have a
pickup window....doesn't get better than that. Scanners, printers- I watch
fry's or best buy, wider selection of those types of peripherals.... oh
yeah -in the USA... i forget that sometimes

Old August 1st 03, 08:19 AM
Strontium

A mixture. There is one shop that I use for CPU/Motherboards/Memory. The
owners are very fair and easy to work with, regarding returns/exchanges.
Also, I live in a very large (4th in the US) city. So, basically, I can
find just about anything at competitive prices right here. Online ordering
is not necessary, for me generally. Every once, in a while, I do resort to
that, though. I had a hard time finding anyone stocking the Radeon 9700 non
pro. And, I was not willing to pay $300 for the 9700 pro. So, I used
pricewatch.com. Ended up ordering from bananapc.com

-
jm stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Did you develop a good relationship or is it just cheaper where you
live?

"Strontium" wrote in message
I buy, locally.

-

Old August 1st 03, 03:04 PM
Gary Tait

"Strontium" wrote in message
[...]

And you can get small goodies for free. When I bough my system last
summer, I am sure they threw in the cooler. A few weeks ago, I popped
in looking for some RJ45 connectors, they just gave me a couple.
Old August 1st 03, 03:14 PM
Gary Tait

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 02:06:18 GMT, "jm"
wrote:

Man this is hard work. I am looking here and there to beat shipping and
other stuff. I find a little cheaper here and there, maybe a dollar or two,
but it adds up.

Do you folks just stick to one supplier or use something like
http://www.pricewatch.com and look for the best deal?

I shop around my local stores for small bits. (because I can), and
they won't be any cheaper online or retail from a city vendor (in
fact, Future Shop's price on Ethernet cabling is atrocious, I buy that
loccally, unless I can manage to reach a vendor I know that can beat
even local).

For larger bits, if I can get by with used, or think I can get a
better deal than new or NOS that a vendor has around, I'll use E-bay.

For new, I'll usually wait till I go to a city, unless I need it right
away, and am willing to pay a bit more for that, or will get close to
the same deal as if I waited to go to the city..