How do I set Bios to boot off CD first

Old September 27th 05, 05:20 AM
bdeditch

Default How do I set Bios to boot off CD first

I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?

Old September 27th 05, 05:34 AM
Ted Zieglar

"How Do I Configure My DellT DimensionT 4100 to Boot from the CD Drive?"
http://tinyurl.com/adts6

Ted Zieglar

ps.com...

Old September 28th 05, 01:12 AM
johnny

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:

I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?

No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.

Old September 28th 05, 01:17 AM
Tom Scales

"johnny" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:

I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?

No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.

In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.

Old September 28th 05, 03:30 AM
bdeditch

No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios

I already tried this Johnny and it did not work

Old September 28th 05, 04:04 AM
Tom Scales

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios

I already tried this Johnny and it did not work

Did you set the drives back to Cable Select? What CD are you trying to
boot? Have you tried to boot it in another computer?

Old September 28th 05, 01:02 PM
bdeditch

I do not think they are set to cable select, I have tried to boot up
the disk from another computor and it worked.

Old September 28th 05, 02:15 PM
Ted Zieglar

Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.

Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web site, I
came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable select.
Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
well.

So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
jumpered master?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
m...

news

Old September 28th 05, 06:35 PM
Tom Scales

As long as you put it on the Master connector (end of the cable), it makes
no difference if you jumpered it CS or Master.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote in message
Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.

Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web site,
came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable
select.
Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
well.

So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
jumpered master?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
m...

news

Old September 28th 05, 08:08 PM
Ted Zieglar

Thanks Tom. Once I've completely tested the drive, I'm going to switch the
jumper to cable select. I'll bet that nothing bad happens.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
[...]