Presario 1260 - How to install AMD socket 7 CPU

Old March 29th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Presario 1260 - How to install AMD socket 7 CPU

This might be a dumb question but... how do I correctly install an
AMD-6 CPU into the socket (7) on a Compaq Presario 1260? There are two
little tags on either side of the socket that say "open" and "lock"
and the small sliding device locks into place fine without the CPU
in... but when I put the CPU pins into the socket and push in the
"lock" direction, it won't go all the way and is not very firmly
housed (I have another laptop of the exact same model and the CPU
seems locked solid). I think I must be doing something wrong but not
sure what...
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to install it correctly?
Thanks a lot.

Old March 31st 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

On Mar 28, 6:52 pm, wrote:
This might be a dumb question but... how do I correctly install an
AMD-6 CPU into the socket (7) on a Compaq Presario 1260? There are two
little tags on either side of the socket that say "open" and "lock"
and the small sliding device locks into place fine without the CPU
in... but when I put the CPU pins into the socket and push in the
"lock" direction, it won't go all the way and is not very firmly
housed (I have another laptop of the exact same model and the CPU
seems locked solid). I think I must be doing something wrong but not
sure what...
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to install it correctly?
Thanks a lot.

You use a flatblade screwdriver to lever it into place. I'm not fond
of that socket design, as you can muck up the socket a bit. I think.
If you could provide a picture of the socket, we could better help
you.