Replaced HD in Compaq 5000/5SPXE1

Old April 7th 05, 04:03 AM

Default Replaced HD in Compaq 5000/5SPXE1

The original hard drive on this machine crapped out. I replaced the
hard drive and then ran the QuickRestore program which ran to
completion. However, once all 3 of the disks have been run through and
it kicks out the last to do the reboot, the machine still does not
work. It comes up with "Non-system disk or disk error...".

The OS is XP Home. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old April 8th 05, 03:07 AM
Earl F. Parrish

wrote in message
oups.com...
The original hard drive on this machine crapped out. I replaced
the
hard drive and then ran the QuickRestore program which ran to
completion. However, once all 3 of the disks have been run
through and
it kicks out the last to do the reboot, the machine still does not
work. It comes up with "Non-system disk or disk error...".

The OS is XP Home. Does anyone have any ideas?

Were you require to do any preparation of the hard drive first such
as FDISK to make the partition active?

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old April 11th 05, 02:31 AM
Randy

It wasn't required, but I did run FDISK after the fisrt couple of
failed attempts.

Old April 16th 05, 01:30 AM
Randy

All jumpers are set the same, the drive is on the end of the cable.
However through some other research I had found that Compaqs
recommendation of ressetting the BIOS to defaults created more problems
than it solved as it started looking for network boot functions. I
have since corrected that, but still have not had success. I am
currently running fdisk again to skip the settings established by the
QR process which I now suspect as being incorrect for a larger hard
drive size. I will keep you updated....

Old April 16th 05, 02:04 AM
Randy

Although Compaq has told me it is a problem with the HD, I am not
convinced it is a hardware drive configuration, unless it is not
compatible with the QR program. I do not think the disk partitioning
provided in the QR program is configuring the hard drive correctly.
When
trying to run the QR program, during the portion from disk #1 where it
is a
"windows looking" restore program (as opposed to the red & blue screen
throughout the remainder of the process) it gets to 30% and stops
returning:
"Error #1822, Error: No partitions selected" From here it reboots and
continues running the QR program through the "dos looking" (red & blue
screens). But it comes back to non-system disk, which I think is
because it
does not complete this one step. I have tried to manually partition
the hard drive through fdisk & format to the settings that would be
acceptable to the QR program that would prevent the QR process from
re-partitioning. However, this still invokes the QR to re-configure....

Old May 8th 05, 11:16 PM
thefriend

Qr disks fdisk and format in the process of restoring.
You may have a bad restore disk.
Also when you try to fdisk go to 4 I think disk info and see if there is a
non dos partition as part 1.
If it is then through fdisk, delete it.
That may be your problem.

What are you using to fdisk or format the drive with?

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM