Compaq Deskpro 386/20e VGA Connector?

Old April 24th 05, 09:18 PM
Mark

Default Compaq Deskpro 386/20e VGA Connector?

I just got a very nice, maybe never used, Compaq Deskpro 386/20e computer
from Ebay. Except for the big scratch on the top that the seller never
disclosed it looks great. Even came in original carton and had brand new
keyboard and sealed software/documentation! Boy was I surprised however
when I went to hook it up to my new Viewsonic E70 monitor. Apparently,
Compaq used a keyed VGA connector that has no hole for pin 9. My monitor
has a pin 9. Anyone have any ideas? Is there such a thing as an adapter
that will allow a 15 pin VGA male to connect to this computer? Do I need to
get an ISA video card? Will that have the same problem? Would it work with
this computer? I HAVE been able to hook up my IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 to this
monitor. Both computers are around the same vintage (~1990). Thanks.

Mark

Old April 24th 05, 11:02 PM
Tom Scales

Your monitor isnot supposed to have the pin.

Are you sure the cable isn't installed backwards?

Tom

Old April 25th 05, 12:48 AM
Mark

I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today and it
didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it means that
the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 25th 05, 02:18 AM
Tom Scales

Oh, I believe the pin is there. Many monitor makers stopped removing the
pin, as computer makers stop keying the plug. The problem is that the
'standard' such as it is at the time of that machine had a keyed connector.
That pin isn't used.

Worst case, you should be able to find a cable without the pin. If you're
adventursome, break off the pin. Not recommending that though, as I don't
know if the pin is really used now. Don't think so, but.....

No warranties

Tom
"Mark" wrote in message
news
I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today and it
didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it means that
the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 25th 05, 03:35 AM
Mark

Yeah, I think you're right. I looked at the "standard" pinout and the pin
isn't used. Must be as you say, they just stopped removing the pin.

Unfortunately I think my VGA cable is hardwired into my monitor. So, unless
there was an extension cable that didn't have a keyed female but did have a
keyed male, I'd be out of luck. And, I really don't want to mess with the
new monitor. I wonder if I can poke a hole through the female connector on
the computer. LOL Open to any ideas.

Mark

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, I believe the pin is there. Many monitor makers stopped removing the
pin, as computer makers stop keying the plug. The problem is that the
'standard' such as it is at the time of that machine had a keyed
connector. That pin isn't used.

Worst case, you should be able to find a cable without the pin. If you're
adventursome, break off the pin. Not recommending that though, as I don't
know if the pin is really used now. Don't think so, but.....

No warranties

Tom
"Mark" wrote in message
news
I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today and
it didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it means
that the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 25th 05, 04:19 AM
Not Gimpy Anymore

Actually, in newer connectors (with blue overmold) the pin IS supposed to be
there,
carrying 5 VDC to power the DDC (Plug-n-Play comm. channel) even if the
monitor
is off. VESA adopted that in the mid-90's.

Since this is a '90 vintage machine, I expect you'll never want to run any
up to date OS
with P-n-P, so it's likely OK to just remove the pin (if you can without
munging anything
else). Or, if you *do* want to install win95/8, just be aware that you will
always need
to turn the monitor on before you boot they system.
HTH,
NGA

"Mark" wrote in message
Yeah, I think you're right. I looked at the "standard" pinout and the pin
isn't used. Must be as you say, they just stopped removing the pin.

Unfortunately I think my VGA cable is hardwired into my monitor. So,
unless
there was an extension cable that didn't have a keyed female but did have
keyed male, I'd be out of luck. And, I really don't want to mess with the
new monitor. I wonder if I can poke a hole through the female connector on
the computer. LOL Open to any ideas.

Mark

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, I believe the pin is there. Many monitor makers stopped removing the
pin, as computer makers stop keying the plug. The problem is that the
'standard' such as it is at the time of that machine had a keyed
connector. That pin isn't used.

Worst case, you should be able to find a cable without the pin. If
you're adventursome, break off the pin. Not recommending that though, as
I don't know if the pin is really used now. Don't think so, but.....

No warranties

Tom
"Mark" wrote in message
news
I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today and
it didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it means
that the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 25th 05, 11:47 AM
Tom Scales

Buy a cheap extension cable. Break off the pin on the extension cable, not
the monitor cable.

Problem solved!

Tom
"Mark" wrote in message
Yeah, I think you're right. I looked at the "standard" pinout and the pin
isn't used. Must be as you say, they just stopped removing the pin.

Unfortunately I think my VGA cable is hardwired into my monitor. So,
unless
there was an extension cable that didn't have a keyed female but did have
keyed male, I'd be out of luck. And, I really don't want to mess with the
new monitor. I wonder if I can poke a hole through the female connector on
the computer. LOL Open to any ideas.

Mark

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, I believe the pin is there. Many monitor makers stopped removing the
pin, as computer makers stop keying the plug. The problem is that the
'standard' such as it is at the time of that machine had a keyed
connector. That pin isn't used.

Worst case, you should be able to find a cable without the pin. If
you're adventursome, break off the pin. Not recommending that though, as
I don't know if the pin is really used now. Don't think so, but.....

No warranties

Tom
"Mark" wrote in message
news
I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today and
it didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it means
that the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 25th 05, 01:18 PM
Mark

Thanks everyone. I learned about this VGA connector in the process of this
problem. Yes, I'd like to buy the cheap cable, but when I find one it says
it will only work for smaller than 17" monitor...who knows why! I don't
want to remove the pin from the monitor because I use the same monitor for
my new computer. I might be able to use two gender changers back to back.
It does appear that often both the adapters and extention cables don't have
the keyed female but do have the missing pin 9. So, one way or another I'm
sure I'll work this out.

Thanks again.

Mark
. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
Yeah, I think you're right. I looked at the "standard" pinout and the pin
isn't used. Must be as you say, they just stopped removing the pin.

Unfortunately I think my VGA cable is hardwired into my monitor. So,
unless
there was an extension cable that didn't have a keyed female but did have
keyed male, I'd be out of luck. And, I really don't want to mess with the
new monitor. I wonder if I can poke a hole through the female connector
on
the computer. LOL Open to any ideas.

Mark

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, I believe the pin is there. Many monitor makers stopped removing
the pin, as computer makers stop keying the plug. The problem is that
the 'standard' such as it is at the time of that machine had a keyed
connector. That pin isn't used.

Worst case, you should be able to find a cable without the pin. If
you're adventursome, break off the pin. Not recommending that though,
as I don't know if the pin is really used now. Don't think so, but.....

No warranties

Tom
"Mark" wrote in message
news I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today and
it didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it means
that the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 25th 05, 11:32 PM
Tom Scales

http://www.pacificcable.com/PCCables.htm

EX13-6ED. $8.50

No connection, other than I buy a lot of cables from them. They're 50 foot
extension cable is driving my video projector as my home theatre .

Tom

"Mark" wrote in message
Thanks everyone. I learned about this VGA connector in the process of this
problem. Yes, I'd like to buy the cheap cable, but when I find one it says
it will only work for smaller than 17" monitor...who knows why! I don't
want to remove the pin from the monitor because I use the same monitor for
my new computer. I might be able to use two gender changers back to back.
It does appear that often both the adapters and extention cables don't
have the keyed female but do have the missing pin 9. So, one way or
another I'm sure I'll work this out.

Thanks again.

Mark
. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
Yeah, I think you're right. I looked at the "standard" pinout and the
pin
isn't used. Must be as you say, they just stopped removing the pin.

Unfortunately I think my VGA cable is hardwired into my monitor. So,
unless
there was an extension cable that didn't have a keyed female but did
have a
keyed male, I'd be out of luck. And, I really don't want to mess with
the
new monitor. I wonder if I can poke a hole through the female connector
on
the computer. LOL Open to any ideas.

Mark

. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
news I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today
and it didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it
means that the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

Old April 26th 05, 12:36 PM
Mark

Thanks Tom. From the picture, no cutting of pins will even be needed. :-)

Mark
. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
Thanks everyone. I learned about this VGA connector in the process of
this problem. Yes, I'd like to buy the cheap cable, but when I find one
it says it will only work for smaller than 17" monitor...who knows why!
I don't want to remove the pin from the monitor because I use the same
monitor for my new computer. I might be able to use two gender changers
back to back. It does appear that often both the adapters and extention
cables don't have the keyed female but do have the missing pin 9. So,
one way or another I'm sure I'll work this out.

Thanks again.

Mark
. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
Yeah, I think you're right. I looked at the "standard" pinout and the
pin
isn't used. Must be as you say, they just stopped removing the pin.

Unfortunately I think my VGA cable is hardwired into my monitor. So,
unless
there was an extension cable that didn't have a keyed female but did
have a
keyed male, I'd be out of luck. And, I really don't want to mess with
the
new monitor. I wonder if I can poke a hole through the female connector
on
the computer. LOL Open to any ideas.

Mark

. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
news I might be going crazy, so I'll check again. But I'm pretty sure the
connector has the pin. I also looked at my girlfriends monitor today
and it didn't have any missing pins either. If I don't post again it
means that the pin IS there.

Mark

. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
I just got a very nice, maybe never used, Compaq Deskpro 386/20e
computer from Ebay. Except for the big scratch on the top that the
seller never disclosed it looks great. Even came in original carton
and had brand new keyboard and sealed software/documentation! Boy
was I surprised however when I went to hook it up to my new
Viewsonic E70 monitor. Apparently, Compaq used a keyed VGA connector
that has no hole for pin 9. My monitor has a pin 9. Anyone have
any ideas? Is there such a thing as an adapter that will allow a 15
pin VGA male to connect to this computer? Do I need to get an ISA
video card? Will that have the same problem? Would it work with this
computer? I HAVE been able to hook up my IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 to
this monitor. Both computers are around the same vintage (~1990).
Thanks.

Mark

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM