Old Presario 1255, new to me

Old April 15th 05, 06:19 AM
Wayne

Very good. I got ya Steve. I guess it would be a crap shoot as to which
brand and part # of pc100 that would be backward compatible, huh. Reason
why I'm up for installing a stick of pc100 in this upgrade is because it is
a lot more plentiful on eBay, etc. than pc66.
But advancing the K6-2 may otherwise help the performance in the long haul.
I may get into that when...

I'll round up a copy of sandra, as soon as I can get the machine back up and
running : accidentally disabled the Win2000 Admin password (on startup).
Now I just get a message: "your account has been disabled. Please see your
system administrator" -- ad noseum. As this is a used machine, don't know
the old admin p/w.
Hmm.. anyone know a good way to hack around this? ;^|

Wayne

"Steve W." wrote in message
The MB was Compaqs own design. Made by Mitac I think, been a while since
I had mine opened up.
Chipset was Nvidea and it had S3 sound.

If you want to find out more info grab a copy of SiSoft SANDRA. Run it
and it will outline all the parts in the machine.
As for upping the bus speed it cannot be done, the only options on the
board were 60 or 66 mhz,

--
Steve Williams

"Wayne" wrote in message
Thanks, Steve. Been through the Compaq corporate site. However, the

other
links you sent are quite interesting. But I still need more specifics

on
the motherboard and main chipsets, etc. as applies to the 1255's AMD

K-2
that's on it.
As well, Mike's site doesn't really chase down many results of any dip
changes. That could be dangerous without knowing the details of other
product parts within the laptop. Be great to read some others

comments on
what they did on the board and what the results were..
How will any of this change my pc66 directive to a pc100?

"Steve W." wrote in message
http://www.compaq.com/athome/support...75/system.html
This the one you found?

CPU should be a AMD K6 - 333 with MMX
Link to faster CPU upgrade
http://www.mgrudkin.clara.net/
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

More info on the 1255
http://snipurl.com/e0v0

The only problem I had with mine was the touchpad. It went nuts when

you
touched it.

--
Steve Williams

"Wayne" wrote in message
Interesting. Where can one round up info on the specs on the guts

of
this
Presario 1255? Is there a link to Compaq (or other) that will

detail
that
info, what components went into the laptop. ie: specific CPU and
m'board
manufacturer and models, etc. I found a Compaq link to service and
maintenance of the unit but no specifics as (for instance) on the

IBM
site
for all their notebooks.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
This is not unusual, whether notebook or desktop computer. A lot

of
the
older
chipsets were designed before speed grades faster than PC66 were
available, so
the chipsets are constrained to only recognize PC66. In fact,
early,
early PC66
memory does not have a serial presence detect (SPD) circuit,

which
tells
the
motherboard the speed of the memory... Ben Myers

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:46:41 GMT, "Wayne" wrote:

I'd like to take full advantage of the maximum of 160mb 9by using
128mb),
which still is rather limited.

Seems Kingston also still provides pc66 at 128mb: KTC-p1900/128

for
this
1255 laptop.

Damn. Really too bad the much more available pc100 does not

appear
work
as I was led to believe it was backward compatible. I thought it
would
just
be a matter that the laptop doesn't take advantage of the speed

is
all (?)

"HH" wrote in message
Steve is correct. PC66 only. I recommend Crucial for all

Compaq/HP
memory.
Here is the link to your 1255. Only 64MB SODIMMs are available.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...5. &submit=Go

HH

"Wayne" wrote in message
Hi.

I was looking for a rudimentary laptop to do some onboard
diagnostics
on
my cars. My neighbour was kind enough to loan an older

Presario
1255
me, and it did the scan flawlessly! I decided to buy the

laptop
from
him
and now wish to upgrade the meager 32mb of hardwired memory to
its max
of
60mb -- with 128mb.

My question is: pc100 backward compatible with the

"suggested"
pc66?
If so, will any 128mb PC100 144pin Sodimm sdram work in this
laptop?
..say a stick from an Armada M700?

Sure appreciate your input.

Wayne

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+
Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=----

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old April 15th 05, 01:27 PM
Ben Myers

Do a google search on the name "petter nordahl". The first entry returned by
Google will lead you to Pettar's very useful password cracker for NT, 2000,
XPee, etc. make up a boot floppy, boot the system, follow the simple
instructions to remove the administrator password.

Best to stick with PC66 memory, even if it is not very plentiful.

.... Ben Myers

Old April 15th 05, 05:52 PM
Ben Myers

Given that the CPU is an AMD K6-2 and the bus is limited to 66MHz, the best
speed possible would be 400MHz, if the 1255 motherboard has jumpers to change
the clock multiplier from 5.0 to 6.0 (same as 2.0) AND the CPU is socketed
rather than soldered down. The faster CPU would give about a 20% bump in
processor speed, almost noise level in a system which probably has a slow 4200
rpm hard drive. In other words, not worth the effort to do... Ben Myers

Old April 15th 05, 07:27 PM
Wayne

I ran with the Nordahl site but ran into too many problems to make it
worthwile to continue. Besides there is no data worth recovering. I've now
repartitioned and formatted to Windows ME. I was pleased with that OS for
several years on my desktop, before jumping into WinXp Pro. If WinME proves
crappola on this old laptop then it will be downgraded again to Win98SE
instead. As for PC66, yeah. Your advice (and others) rings right. I'll
probably bite the bullet and take a run downtown for a pickup of ram. Me
thinks I'll also bring the laptop with me to be sure it woiks. Thanks.

Old April 17th 05, 04:03 PM
Wayne

You mention the sensitivity of the touchpad, Steve. I also notice the same
thing. The mouse bar is super sensitive, got it turned down as slow as
possible (double-click). In fact I can just tap the touchpad and it
double-clicks ..go figure.
I wonder if it is easy to get under the keyboard to fix that annoyance?
Wayne

Old April 19th 05, 09:21 PM
Steve W.

It is REAL easy to pull the 1255 apart. However make sure you have the
newer drivers installed (Logitech made the pad) I used them and it made
a big difference. However if you did need a new pad it was like 25.00
for the new part. Mine was a bad controller chip. The real shock was the
repair center replaced the bad battery with a newer larger one for free.

--
Steve Williams

Old April 20th 05, 04:54 AM
Wayne

Free battery: ah, but I'll bet your laptop was probably still on
warranty..?
where did you source for the 1255 parts?

Old April 20th 05, 03:15 PM
Steve W.

Shouldn't matter the battery is not covered by warranty. Plus it was 4
months out of coverage at that time.
Parts actually came from a friend who works at Tandys service center in
Albany NY. Ordered direct from Compaq. When I first got it from RS it
was missing a rubber foot. Called Compaq and they sent me a "plastics
replacement kit" Has LOT's of feet, replacement screw covers, battery
doors, even replacement hinges for the LCD.
Still have most of the stuff, need any for yours? Overall it wasn't a
bad machine but I didn't need it any longer.

--
Steve Williams