Laptop Presario 1245

Old April 16th 05, 05:48 PM
Fairplay

Default Laptop Presario 1245

Question on our model 1245 notebook ... Its not and has not been used with
the Internet...OS Windows 2000 Pro/AMD k-6 3D Processor AT/AT Compatible
with 163.380 KB Ram...

Unit has two batteries and the problem Im about to describe happens with
either and or the A/C adaptor...Unit will be running fine then out of
nowhere screen goes blue and the following message appears.....

Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
***The Systen Has Halted***

At this point the laptop can get restarted by 1)removing the battery and or
the A/C plug or 2)pressing on the power button for about 5 seconds....Unit
will run fine till the same error happens again ... sometimes right
away...sometimes hrs later ....

Txs for any help and or suggestions

Old April 16th 05, 07:12 PM
HH

Sounds like a heat related breakdown. Is the processor cooling system
working? How much RAM? Compaq RAM or aftermarket?
HH

ink.net...

Old April 17th 05, 06:10 PM
Fairplay

Well...the fan (If that is what you mean) on back of the unit is
operational...right from the start......
RAM and where would I look to see how much ?? its at the maximum allowed by
the unit and I believe it may be aftermarket ..

Txs again

Old April 17th 05, 09:31 PM
HH

The 1245 has 32MB on the systemboard and one SODIMM slot accessed by a small
removeable cover on the underside of thr unit. The slot will take a 16, 32,
64 or 128MB SODIMM. Max RAM is, therefore 160MB. Older Presario notebooks
can be very picky about aftermarket RAM. About the only brand we never had
any issues with was Crucial. PNY gave us continuous headaches.
HH

ink.net...

Old April 18th 05, 09:51 PM
Fairplay

HH txs a million for your help . Im goinn to have an expert open the unit
and check it...Ill be looking to see the RAM brand that was added to the
unit, as per your suggestion

CAB