Memory Upgrade results in No Video; Cleared CMOS..still not booting & no video

Old April 2nd 04, 02:24 PM
mary

Default Memory Upgrade results in No Video; Cleared CMOS..still not booting & no video

"Tom Scales" wrote in message ...
I guess I have to ask the obvious question first. You did take out the new
stick and see if it boots, right?

Yes, Removed the new memory and tried to boot with the old memory. (I
realized after I posted that I forgot to mention that)
Old April 2nd 04, 02:56 PM
mary

"nut cracker" wrote in message ...
typically, this means that you put incompatable memory in the computer.
clearing the cmos wont help you here.

Any suggestions as to what would help?
Looking into this further I found PNY website- Memory FAQ
(http://www.pny.com/support/faqs/readtopic.asp?modelID=6)

"15) I installed a new memory module and my system will not reboot,
even with the original memory installed by itself. What should I do?

Answer
1. Verify you have the correct memory module for your system by going
to our online system configurator.
2. The new memory module(s) may not be compatible with your system.
The newer memory modules are manufactured with high density IC's
(little black chips). They now come with 8 (on one side), 4 (on each
side) or 8 (on each side). The design inside of the IC's on the Memory
Modules may be too complex for your system to read and it may not work
in your system.

3. Make sure the memory is seated properly in the computer socket with
both clips locking on their own.
4. Verify the addition of the module does not exceed the memory
capacity of your computer.
5. Test each module in the system to see which is defective by
performing the following procedure for each memory module:
Shut down your system
Remove all the memory modules from your system.
Insert one memory module at a time and boot the system up to ensure
its compatibility
After each module is successfully tested insert all modules into the
system and boot up.
NOTE: Place the highest memory module closest to the processor and
work down.
6. If you have identified a defective module, return the memory module
to the retailer (vendor) where you purchased it for an exchange. If
the exchange date has expired, then contact PNY to obtain a Returned
Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. "

Old April 2nd 04, 06:34 PM
Kevin Childers

This may sound simplistic, but I just had this happen to a client who
installed his own NIC card on his home system.. Check to see if all of the
cards are fully seated. That was all it took to fix the clients machine.
It seems that when he put in the NIC card, in pressing down to seat it her
unseated the already installed cards. For a one hour service call All I did
was make sure all of the cards were reseated, powered it up and it worked
just fine.

KC

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I'm stuck. Without seeing it, this one is hard to diagnose.

Tom
"mary" wrote in message
om...

Old April 8th 04, 06:07 PM
mary

This problem was resolved by a can of compressed air (and the magic
words "I need help here"). I've seen dusty motherboards - this was
not like any of them. This one had just a little dust around the
processor.

Had previously tried booting after re-seating original memory ;
booting with no monitior connected, then no memory hoping for error
codes or beeping (even plugged in the speakers & turned them on so I
might hear beeping, doh)

The incompatible memory has been returned. This presario 7478 is
booting with the original 64MB as if nothing ever happened. I haven't
been able to get into the bios setup with F10 or Ctrl-F10 but
considering I was looking at replacing the system board&/or processor,
I'm not complaining.
Thanks to all who took the time to respond- it helped.
-Mary
Old April 8th 04, 08:35 PM
HH

For compatible memory for your 7478, try:
http://www.crucial.com
Stick with the PC100 RAM
HH

m...