Couple of quick pre-buy questions

Old August 1st 03, 08:19 PM
Chris Flowers

Default Couple of quick pre-buy questions

Hi all

I'm about to buy:

AMD Athlon XP 2600 333MHz FSB - Thoroughbred
Coolermaster Aero7
MSI K7N2-L (MS-6570)
Crucial PC2700 512MB DDR 184pin DIMM

Can anyone see any problems with this kit?

Many thanks ;o)

--
www.ukbitcharg.co.uk - The UK's no.1 stop for Micro R/C!

#ugvg on irc.uk-net.org (6667 or 6668) - the U.G.V.G IRC channel
Old August 1st 03, 09:10 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 19:19:05 +0000, Chris Flowers wrote:

Hi all

I'm about to buy:

AMD Athlon XP 2600 333MHz FSB - Thoroughbred

1700+ B core would save you about $40. Same core.

Coolermaster Aero7
MSI K7N2-L (MS-6570)

Does it have the Ultra 400 chipset or the old NF2 chipset?

Crucial PC2700 512MB DDR 184pin DIMM

Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3700 DDR Memory Module 32X8 (Winbond
Module) - OEM. $108 shipped.

Now clock the CPU at 11x200 and run the ram in sync at 200MHz.

Can anyone see any problems with this kit?

Just my opinion.:-)

Old August 2nd 03, 04:51 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:34:04 +0000, Chris Flowers wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in
news
MSI K7N2-L (MS-6570)

Does it have the Ultra 400 chipset or the old NF2 chipset?

Not sure TBH. Heres the link to the specs:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/d...ct_detail.asp?
model=K7N2-L&search_text=K7N2

No. It doesn't. I'd look at another board.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:19 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 07:27:06 +0000, Chris Flowers wrote:

Chris Flowers wrote in
:

No. It doesn't. I'd look at another board.

What does it mean anyway?

The original nf2 chipset doesn't officially support a 200MHz FSB, the nf2
Ultra 400 does.

Ah, hang on, just noticed they sll this one too:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/d...ct_detail.asp?
model=K7N2_Delta-L&search_text=K7N2

I believe this one has Ultra 400.

Yep. That would be the one you want.

Old August 2nd 03, 05:02 PM
Chris Flowers

"Wes Newell" wrote in
news
Yep. That would be the one you want.

Excellent.

Thanks all for your help It'll all be here by Tuesday

Old August 2nd 03, 06:32 PM
Ben Pope

Chris Flowers wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in
news
Yep. That would be the one you want.

Excellent.

Thanks all for your help It'll all be here by Tuesday

Er... just to add. This chipset doesn't like FSB running out of synch with
RAM. So if you want to run 200FSB, you;ll need PC3200.

I recognise you from the nokia ng, I bought one of them bitcharg things -
pretty good, until I broke it :-)

Ben

Old August 3rd 03, 01:34 PM
Ben Pope

Chris Flowers wrote:
Yeah its cool, ordered some 512MB PC3200 from Dabs

Excellent.

Hehe, yeah thats me! Lol, you broke it? How'd you manage that? They
can be quite fiddly and delicate I suppose.

Small traction problem on the kitchen worktop :-) managed to break the bit
that holds the clip that holds the motor. Oh well...

Ben