Need Lots of Help....Newbie

Old November 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
John T McDougald

Default Need Lots of Help....Newbie

OK, I'm not even yet a newbie but here's my delima.

I need to figure out a way to be able to connect with my father-in-laws
computer (in Texas) and my computer here in Florida. I am using Verizon DSL
and he has AOL Dialup on an older Win 95(98) system. I found a camera that
he could hook up to his computer via printer port since he doesn't have USB.

Now I need to get a camera for myself and also find out how to be able to
link up over the net with him after I get my camera up and running. This is
all for personal use, not bussiness. We just had a baby and this is their
first. They will be in Texas for the next 10 years and I would like to be
able to let them and my wife see and talk to each other on a more regular
basis.

About the only thing I know for certain is that I would like to be able to
get a close to 30fps as possible. not sure how his dialup will affect that
but if there is a way I could direct connect with him over the net I would
do that. I also would like to find a website that would give
recommendations for web cams for myself. I use a WinXP system so it;s not
really an issue like I had to deal with my F-i-L.

Thanks
John T McD

Old November 22nd 03, 06:23 AM
LR

You need to get a firewire card and a program from OrangeMicro to be able to
use a digial cam for better video. You also need a provider like ICUii or
Ivisit to have better frames per second. Yahoo is only five frames per
second and ICUii is fifteen. Of course this will all be for naught if the
person on the other end has a low end web cam and a dial up. But if both of
you have cable and good cam it will be great. I am using Yahoo and getting
ready to use IVisit.

Old November 22nd 03, 12:36 PM
mike

John T McDougald wrote:
[...]

Upstream dialup speed is on the order of 3Kbytes/second if everything is
perfect. At 30 frames/second, your picture can be 100 bytes or 10x10
pixels.
Yes, it gets compressed some, but you get the idea.
You ain't even in the ballpark.
Might as well just email still pix.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old November 22nd 03, 06:38 PM
LR

Yahoo has low frame rates, but if you want interaction, it is better than
ICUii and Ivisit. I know I used all three at one time. I have Yahoo and
Ivisit. Ivisit is good for tech support and better frame rates

hlink.net...