Installing 8500DV in New (Home-Built) Sys -- need advice on drivers

Old June 25th 04, 06:45 PM

Default Installing 8500DV in New (Home-Built) Sys -- need advice on drivers

Hello,

I'm in the process of building my first computer. While I intend to
purchase a better (AGP 8X) graphics card in the near future, for the
moment I've simply taken the AIW 8500-DV from my old system and
mounted it in the new computer. I was somewhat pleased with the 8500DV
and just couldn't see spending the money for a new card now preferring
to invest money in other needed parts for the new system.

However, now comes the question of installing the drivers and
associated software.

The 8500DV seems to have been discontinued and thus information is
non-existant or just about impossible (for me) to find. I can install
from the original CD which contained MMC 7.7. I also purchased (and
have) the later release which is Catalyst 3.1 and can upgrade to that
revision which included MMC 8.1.

I see the latest Catalyst release is v. 4.6, MMC is 9.1 and Remote
Wonder is 2.3.0.1.

I'm not sure how best to proceed and wonder if you might be able to
provide some sense of direction. Should I install from the original CD
(MMC7.7) and then install the upgrade to 8.1 and then install the
latest Catlyst 4.6?

Is it possible to install (only) the Catalyst 4.6 drivers without
first installing either (or both) of the earlier versions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

NEW SYSTEM INFO:
Motherboard -- Asus P4C800E-Deluxe
CPU -- Intel P4 2.8C (Northwood) 800 FSB
Memory -- Crucial CT6464Z265.8T2 2 X 512 MB DDR 2100
Case -- Antec P-160
PSU -- Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA-470W-SATA
HDD -- WD 120 Mgb (WD1200JD) (SATA)
DVD Writer: -- Sony DRU-510A
OS -- Windows XP Professional (sp-1)

Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
Reply by Post Only Please
Old June 25th 04, 07:33 PM
LastYJ

Don't bother installing the drivers/MMC from the CD. Just go to the ATI
web site and get the latest drivers and MMC and you should be all set.
Point your browser to: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html , pick
Windows XP and then you can get the driver and the MMC.

I bought an even older AIW-Radeon, the 7200 a few months ago in a slower
computer and I just went to the site and got the drivers and MMC 9.0 and
everything is fine. One thing that I couldn't install is the DVD player
from ATI, but I never liked that interface and that didn't bother me. I
prefer PowerDVD myself.

Good luck!

-lyj

Old June 25th 04, 11:55 PM
patrickp

On 25 Jun 2004 13:33:44 -0500, LastYJ carsx88-6012@yahoo wrote:

[...]

Will second that - as lyj suggests, you won't be able to dl & install
the MMC 8/9 DVD player without an appropriate Catalyst CD. They don't
cost very much to buy, though.

If you want to use MMC 7.7, you may not be able to go higher than
Catalyst 3.x; AFAIK the Catalyst 4.xs won't work with it. I have MMC
7.7.0.1 running quite happily with Catalyst 3.8 on my other box.

One other essential for good videocard operation on your new system -
don't forget the chipset drivers and DirectX 9! ;-)

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old June 27th 04, 04:47 PM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:55:02 +0100, patrickp wrote:

On 25 Jun 2004 13:33:44 -0500, LastYJ carsx88-6012@yahoo wrote:

Don't bother installing the drivers/MMC from the CD. Just go to the ATI
web site and get the latest drivers and MMC and you should be all set.
Point your browser to: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html , pick
Windows XP and then you can get the driver and the MMC.

I bought an even older AIW-Radeon, the 7200 a few months ago in a slower
computer and I just went to the site and got the drivers and MMC 9.0 and
everything is fine. One thing that I couldn't install is the DVD player
from ATI, but I never liked that interface and that didn't bother me. I
prefer PowerDVD myself.

Good luck!

-lyj

Thanks for your response, patrickp

Will second that - as lyj suggests, you won't be able to dl & install
the MMC 8/9 DVD player without an appropriate Catalyst CD. They don't
cost very much to buy, though.

I actually have that newer Catalyst CD which I purchased (for $10.00)
a few weeks after the purchase and original installation of the 850DV.
It is Catalyst version 3.1 and was needed in order to further update
the original drivers. Since all was working OK, and since I fully
intended to move the 8500DV to the new machine, I did not attempt to
further update to later Catalyst releases.

If you want to use MMC 7.7, you may not be able to go higher than
Catalyst 3.x; AFAIK the Catalyst 4.xs won't work with it. I have MMC
7.7.0.1 running quite happily with Catalyst 3.8 on my other box.

So...if I understand you correctly, what you're suggesting (as LastYJ
also suggested) is to just download and install the most recent
Catalyst 4.6 and install WITHOUT FIRST INSTALLING either of the other
two versions, is that correct?

One other essential for good videocard operation on your new system -
don't forget the chipset drivers and DirectX 9! ;-)

Installing the chipset drivers is what has kept me from responding to
this post over the last two days. I read a very imformative post on
the Tech Support Forum ( http://www.techsupportforum.com/ ) by a
moderator very knowledgable of Asus motherboards. He strongly urges
the chipset drivers be installed BEFORE any others.

http://www.techsupportforums.com/sho...599&forumid=15

I've been attempting to (first) understand and then accomplish that
very task for the last 24 hours.

Thanks again for your help.

Old June 27th 04, 04:51 PM

On 25 Jun 2004 13:33:44 -0500, LastYJ carsx88-6012@yahoo wrote:

Don't bother installing the drivers/MMC from the CD. Just go to the ATI
web site and get the latest drivers and MMC and you should be all set.
Point your browser to: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html , pick
Windows XP and then you can get the driver and the MMC.

I bought an even older AIW-Radeon, the 7200 a few months ago in a slower
computer and I just went to the site and got the drivers and MMC 9.0 and
everything is fine. One thing that I couldn't install is the DVD player
from ATI, but I never liked that interface and that didn't bother me. I
prefer PowerDVD myself.

Good luck!

-lyj

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

While I do have the original CD which included MMC 7.7 as well as the
Catalyst 3.1 which I later purchased from ATI, I'll just go to the ATI
site and download (and install) the latest Catalyst 4.6 revision.

Thanks again for your response.

Old June 27th 04, 04:54 PM

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:50:11 GMT, OMaurizio
wrote:

Hi
I have actually AIW 8500 Dv + WinXP and MMC 9.0 + ATI DRIVERS CAT 4.4
+ REMOTE WONDER 2.3.0.1 + ATI HYDRAVISION 3-25-0006 perfectly working
on my ASIT KR7a+Athlon 1900, but you need the ATI CD at least MMC 8.1
to install (during the installation of the MMC 9 the installer asks to
insert the MMC 8.1 CD, but it's easy to find via emule or similar)
Maurizio

Thanks, Maurizio

I DO have the Catalyst 3.1 CD which I purchased from ATI a few weeks
after the original installation of the 8500DV. I'll keep it nearby
when I install the latest Catalyst 4.6 release.

Thanks for your response.

Old June 27th 04, 06:25 PM
patrickp

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:47:21 GMT, lid wrote:

[...]

Exactly. All Ati display drivers are stand-alone; they don't require
previous software to have been installed. However, for an AIW you
will need the capture driver installed as well. But if you dl and
install the "High Speed (Cable / DSL)" driver rather than just the
display driver from the "Low Speed (Dial-up)" set, that includes the
capture driver and Control Panel; installs it all in one hit.

One other essential for good videocard operation on your new system -
don't forget the chipset drivers and DirectX 9! ;-)

Installing the chipset drivers is what has kept me from responding to
this post over the last two days. I read a very imformative post on
the Tech Support Forum ( http://www.techsupportforum.com/ ) by a
moderator very knowledgable of Asus motherboards. He strongly urges
the chipset drivers be installed BEFORE any others.

http://www.techsupportforums.com/sho...599&forumid=15

I think most people here would second that.

I've been attempting to (first) understand and then accomplish that
very task for the last 24 hours.

If you already have device drivers installed, it may be necessary to
uninstall them before installing your chipset drivers, or at least
reinstall them afterwards. But what's the problem with the chipset
drivers? Not only should they be the first thing you install, it's
usually a fast and painless process.

Thanks again for your help.