How to make a HD from factory made master to slave?

Old June 24th 03, 02:37 AM
M Shafaat

Default How to make a HD from factory made master to slave?

Hi,
I have got an extra hard disk, a Quantom 2.5 GB over from an old machine and
I want to use it as extra disk storage. But the problem is that the HD is
set to be a master from the factory and there are only tree single pins on
the jumper place and no jumper. Is it possible anyhow to make it a slave?

The tag on the HD with info about the jumper settings does not match at all
the real jumper place on the disk!

Regards
M Shafaat

2003-06-24

Old June 24th 03, 03:51 AM
kony

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:37:50 GMT, "M Shafaat" wrote:

Hi,
I have got an extra hard disk, a Quantom 2.5 GB over from an old machine and
I want to use it as extra disk storage. But the problem is that the HD is
set to be a master from the factory and there are only tree single pins on
the jumper place and no jumper. Is it possible anyhow to make it a slave?

The tag on the HD with info about the jumper settings does not match at all
the real jumper place on the disk!

Regards
M Shafaat

2003-06-24

All the Quantums I've seen had a double row of 4 pins (8 total) plus
one more pin in-between those and the 40 pins for the cable. Removing
all jumpers made the drive MASTER while jumpering the first vertical
pair of pins (nearest the cable) made the drive slave.

With only three pins it should be easy to figure out, I suspect that
pins 1 and 2 are jumpered for SLAVE, and pins 2 and 3 are for CABLE
SELECT. (or vice-versa). It should not hurt anything to jumper those
pins just long enough to see if the drive is properly detected.

Dave
Old June 25th 03, 02:16 AM
kony

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:02:22 GMT, "M Shafaat" wrote:

Hi Dave and all others,
Thank you for valuable advises, which have been a great help for me.
Some advises are anyhow rather harmful. An example is that Dave said
yesterday that "it should not hurt anything to jumper those pins just long
enough to see if the drive is properly detected." Unfortunately I did as
Dave said and as soon as I put on the current, it began to burn and I got
fire in my machine, it could finish bad. But we could bring it into control.
Fortunately it was only the subject hard drive which was damaged and it
doesn't matter so much because it was an old one.

Have a nice time
M Shafaat
2003-06-24

I am terribly sorry. When you wrote that it was a "jumper place" I
assumed too much that it was a jumper place, as that's where the
jumpers are on other slightly older and newer Quantums I've had.

Dave
Old June 25th 03, 02:42 PM
M Shafaat

Yes it's my own fault of course. The disk is exactly the one Steve Reinis
shows in the picture. I had only seen jumper pins placed on the back of hard
drives and thought those were the jumper pins. But as Steve Reinis writes
the jumper pins are placed under the drive. Anyhow it was an old disk and
not worth to worry about.

"Steve Reinis" wrote in message
Does the hard drive in question look like the one seen in the photo?

http://members.ispwest.com/ghlea/qdrive.jpg

If so, those three pins are NOT meant to be jumpered. They are actually
power supply connections! That explains the burning. See the red boxed

in
area in the photo? Those are the mode jumpers for slave, master, etc.

Some older hard drives have those oddball power connections. I've seen it
once before an old 60 MB 3.5" hard drive that was installed in a Compaq

LTE
25 or some such nonsense laptop. Yes, a 3.5" hard drive in a laptop!

This
was a monster of a machine - 286 processor, 10" monochrome LCD, very thick
and very heavy unit.

-Steve

"kony" wrote in message
[...]

---