BIOS Settings for AGP

Old August 24th 04, 01:40 PM
Peter

Default BIOS Settings for AGP

I have a P4C800E Deluxe in a PC running WinXP Pro SP1. The video card is
an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro which supports AGP 8x. I have the latest
ATI driver and the latest BIOS (v1017) in the mobo.

The latest ATI software has a feature called "SmartGart" which lets you
change certain AGP settings and also analyzes potential problems. One of
the options it gives me is "AGP Settings" with the choices: Off/4x/8x. It
is currently set to Off. I tried changing it to 8x but after re-boot it
was set back to Off.

I looked in the BIOS for the P4C800E Deluxe but I did not see any options
for AGP speed. Did I miss something?

Any clues about this appreciated. Thanx.

Peter
--
**Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

Old August 24th 04, 07:43 PM
Peter

Please give me a clarification because I am obviously doing something
wrong.

By "intel chipset driver" do you mean 1) the "Intel Chipset Inf Update
Program" which is on the CD that came with my ASUS mobo or do you mean 2)
a particular driver file?

1. If you mean the Program, I installed it and it caused my PC not to be
able to boot. The PC went through the normal POST then I saw the WinXP
logo screen then 15 seconds later everything stopped. Eventually
something timed-out and the PC started to re-boot on its own but was not
able to boot. The only way out was to restore my CD drive from an image
file I created yesterday. I tried the whole process again with the same
result (can't boot).

Are there any special requirements to load this program -- for example,
does it have to be loaded before video drivers or before something or can
it be loaded at any time - even after the PC is completely setup and
running?

2. If you mean a particular driver file, what file, where is it and how
do I install it?

Thanks. Peter

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:11:40 +0100, "Ayoub" wrote:

you need to install the intel chipset driver which you'll find on your
m/board cd.
cheers

.. .

Old August 24th 04, 08:39 PM
Ayoub

yup, intel chipset driver is the Intel Chipset Inf Update Program.
you should really install it just after you finish installing the operating
system & before any hardware drivers.
I can't really explain the problems you're seeing with it though.
have you changed your AGP aperture size in bios to 64-128Mb from the default
32Mb when you flashed with 1017?
if you set the size low enough then you can see the behaviour you're seeing
at present.
hth,
cheers

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old August 24th 04, 08:58 PM
Peter

My AGP aperture size in the BIOS was 64MB after I flashed with 1017 and I
left it set at 64MB.

Peter

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:39:37 +0100, "Ayoub" wrote:

yup, intel chipset driver is the Intel Chipset Inf Update Program.
you should really install it just after you finish installing the operating
system & before any hardware drivers.
I can't really explain the problems you're seeing with it though.
have you changed your AGP aperture size in bios to 64-128Mb from the default
32Mb when you flashed with 1017?
if you set the size low enough then you can see the behaviour you're seeing
at present.
hth,
cheers

.. .

Old September 4th 04, 02:22 AM
Praying Mantis

Installing the Intel chipset drivers is definitely the way to go, but maybe
installing them after the Catalyst driver set is a bad idea. (?) Go to
http://support.intel.com/ and look for the latest chipset drivers for your
motherboard's chipset. Intel's site may also recommend downloading the
Intel Application Accelerator. Download the installers to your desktop and
then remove all ATI-specific software. Install the chipset software, expect
a reboot, then install the Catalyst drivers and see if that changes your AGP
settings.

Break a leg...

- PM