CDR/CDRW Error

Old July 12th 03, 08:23 AM
J.M. Frahm

Default CDR/CDRW Error

I've been using Roxio CD Creator 4.x and DirectCD for a while on my
Gateway laptop under Win2K without error. Initially, it was installed
on a 6GB hard drive, which was partitioned into two drives using
FDISK. I have since upgraded to a 40GB hard drive, partitioned using
Win2K disk management into one 10GB primary partition and three 5GB
logical drives.

However, after re-installing the applications above on the primary
partition, neither works. Whenever I try to access the CDRW drive
with CD Creator it constantly (though inconsistently) blinks as if
it's refreshing. So, as I type in a name for the disc, it cuts me off
after only a few key presses. Then, while burning a disc, the process
stops and displays some kind of write-fault. While using DirectCD, I
receive an error stating that the "device has been reserved by another
process" whenever I try to format a CDR or CDRW disc.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software without success.
I tried removing the logical partitions and reinstalling, but that
didn't work. I read somewhere online that if I fill up the primary
partition so that there is less than 5GB of free space and install the
software that should correct the problem. It didn't. I've also
swapped the old hard drive back in and CDRW drive works flawlessly.

What's the problem? Has anyone else experienced these errors in a
similar situation? Any information is appreciated.
Old July 12th 03, 02:45 PM
Dan G

Be sure to apply the service pack for Win2K before installing any software
to the new drive. Also make sure you enable DMA in the new Win2K install.
Your problem is software-related.

om...

Old July 13th 03, 03:39 PM
J.M. Frahm

"Dan G" wrote in message ...
Be sure to apply the service pack for Win2K before installing any software
to the new drive. Also make sure you enable DMA in the new Win2K install.
Your problem is software-related.

I figured it was a software issue. However, installing SP4 didn't have any effect.