Cendyne

Old July 12th 03, 03:36 PM
Graham Mayor

Default Cendyne

Not half as much trouble as a CDRWin that cannot access the writer!

--

Graham Mayor

From: Graham Mayor (Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:23:36 +0100)
MsgId:

It has been years since there was any development on the original
CDRWin. It almost certainly cannot see your writer correctly.
If it is a data cue - load it into Nero. If an audio cue, load it
into Nero, or better still Exact Audio Copy.

You're aware that Nero has trouble with certain multitrack Bin/Cue
files, right? Even for data CD's.

Old July 12th 03, 05:01 PM
Graham Mayor

John wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:36:05 +0100, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

Not half as much trouble as a CDRWin that cannot access the writer!

Also I used to read about that and it made me paranoid which made me
keep using CDRWIN which seemed to be more and more neglected by the
writer when I was using it. Then I just decided when it wouldnt access
a new burner I bought - to use NERO and Ive been using it since and I
seem to have no problems as are many others who post they use NERO. Id
like to hear of any problems though that people are having.

The usual problem is a path error in the cue file relating to the bin file.

--

Graham Mayor

Old July 13th 03, 02:36 PM
Dave

wrote:

Not half as much trouble as a CDRWin that cannot access the writer!

Also I used to read about that and it made me paranoid which made me
keep using CDRWIN which seemed to be more and more neglected by the
writer when I was using it. Then I just decided when it wouldnt access
a new burner I bought - to use NERO and Ive been using it since and I
seem to have no problems as are many others who post they use NERO. Id
like to hear of any problems though that people are having.

The only problem I've seen mentioned frequently is when creating and
burning VCD/SVCD's. Apparently it munges track 2 resulting in the
loss of play back controls (chapters). For more details ask in
alt.binaries.vcd.d.

As a result of my asking, I use VCDEasy for burning video.

Dave
Old July 13th 03, 09:39 PM
Alan

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:02:45 GMT, John wrote:

Also I used to read about that and it made me paranoid which made me
keep using CDRWIN which seemed to be more and more neglected by the
writer when I was using it. Then I just decided when it wouldnt access
a new burner I bought - to use NERO and Ive been using it since and I
seem to have no problems as are many others who post they use NERO. Id
like to hear of any problems though that people are having.

Nero started crashing and making coasters in the middle of burning
data CDs. The light on my Liteon turns from red to orange, but it
doesn't recover. The cursor/mouse locks up, even ctrl+alt+del doesn't
do anything, I just have to reset the processor and put the disc on
the coaster pile. I tried removing files suggested by Feurio! system
analyzer like SCSI1HLP, but Nero still intermittently locks up. I've
used Nero for 3 years, so this is puzzling. I even bought a brand new
drive because I thought that might be the problem, but that didn't
help. Nero version 5.5.10.35 (Bundled).

So I went back to using NTI CD Maker. It has never crashed. It's less
precise for indicating disc space available but at least it doesn't
turn out coasters.
Old July 14th 03, 09:23 AM
Graham Mayor

If that were the only problem, I wouldn't have bothered to bring it
up. I'm talking about creating slightly corrupted disks. Dave touched
on it in another post. I said in my original post exactly what I
wanted to say. It has trouble with multitrack BIN/CUE files. If you
read Ahead's site, they even have BIN/CUE handling listed as
problematic and have for several versions. They haven't bothered to
fix it since they consider it kind of a "gimme" feature, and not
something "inherent" to Nero.

Like everyone else, I've used Nero many times to burn BIN/CUE files.
I've created all kinds of BIN/CUE files that Nero won't burn
correctly. Some of them obviously, and some of them not so obviously
(burn completes, but disc is slightly corrupt). I see no harm in
folks realizing they may create slightly corrupted discs when using
Nero to burn multi-track BIN/CUE files. There are other choices, such
as Fireburner (though it is also having trouble with BIN/CUE now).

I accept all that, but we are getting a long way from the original issue,
which was that CDRWin would no longer work with the hardware. Now that
CDRWin is effectively dead, a new plan is called for. When it works, Nero
has BIN/Cue compatibility, with the provisos that you raise. There are also
a number of utilities that will extract BIN to hard drive - such as WinISO.
What I was trying to get over was the fact that while the loss of CDRWin is
regrettable, it is not terminal.

--

Graham Mayor

Old July 14th 03, 10:16 AM
smh

Graham Mayor wrote:

[...]

CDRWin sure looks like dead:

"June 12, 2003 - Version 3.9D update is now available"

Supported CDROM / DVD Recorders
(Last updated on June 12, 2003)

ASUS "CRW-5232A"

Lite-On "LTR-52327K"