Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?

Old December 13th 20, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Alan Baker[_2_]

Default Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOSmode?

On 2020-12-12 5:47 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did you resolve that issue?

1. The Windows machine boots to POST & then Windows 10 just fine.
2. Once booted to Windows, the USB keyboard & mouse work just fine.
3. But I can't get the PC to respect the BIOS F10 key press.

These are the key presses I know used to work:
o BIOS Menu === F10
o BOOT Menu === Escape
o DIAG Menu === F9

And yes, I'm pressing them (all the time) specifically at POST
o When it says to press "F10" to get into the BIOS.

It's like the keyboard isn't even there...
o The BIOS battery is only a few months old.

The reason I want to access the BIOS is I need to change the HyperVisor
settings for my AMD-based Foxconn motherboard for an Android emulator:
o Tutorial Installing Android Studio 4.1.1 on Windows 10 (AMD CPU)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/g3ymz5CPsIk

o Win+R msinfo32
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041
Hardwa NY549AA-ABA p6230y, HP-Pavilion, FOXCONN, ALOE
CPU: Authentic AMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 5.02, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did you resolve that issue?

Use a non-USB keyboard.
Old December 13th 20, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Mark Lloyd[_6_]

On 12/12/20 7:47 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

[snip]

Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did you resolve that issue?

I have an old Dell that seems to have no way to enter setup other than
to physically disconnect the hard drive (so no boot devices are available).

--
12 days until the winter celebration (Fri, Dec 25, 2020 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -- Ronald
Reagan
Old December 13th 20, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

MajorLanGod wrote:
"JT" wrote in
:

Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]

Arlen,

Does this PC's motherboard have PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse?
(usually green and purple)

I've had older systems that the USB keyboard and mouse were not
useable until Windows loaded.

Using a PS/2 style keyboard solved the issue.

Just a thought...

JT

I have a similar problem on my Ascer Aspire 5 laptop. The manual says
press F2 when booting to get to the BIOS, but I have'nt been able to get
that the work. My workaround? Windows 10 actually has an option to boot
to UEFI Bios in the Recovery-Advanced Startup pages. One of the options
under Advanced Startup is to boot to UEFI. Just make sure everything you
have going is ended and/or closed before going there.

I found out when trying to get the system to leave my keyboard lights on
all the time. Acer turns them off after 10 seconds of inactivity - they
had to do that to get their Energy Plus rating. Due to the number of
complaints, they just upgraded the Bios to give the option to keep them
on all the time WHEN RUNNING ON PLUGGED IN. They will still turn off when
running on battery, and it can't be changed.

You have an Insyde brand BIOS, and the time constant on pressing
F2 is one second :-) It takes ninja-like reflexes to get into the BIOS.
As a game, it's more fun than Windows Solitaire.

Paul
Old December 14th 20, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Ken Blake[_4_]

On 12/13/2020 1:43 PM, Paul wrote:
MajorLanGod wrote:
"JT" wrote in
:

Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]

You perhaps know it, but for anyone here who doesn't, Windows Solitaire
wasn't really meant to be a game. It was meant to be training for use of
the mouse.

--
Ken
Old December 14th 20, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Bob F

On 12/13/2020 12:27 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/12/20 7:47 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

[snip]

Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did you resolve that issue?

I have an old Dell that seems to have no way to enter setup other than
to physically disconnect the hard drive (so no boot devices are available).

Dell uses f1 or f2 or something different from the standard del key.

Old December 15th 20, 01:48 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 07:13:54 -0500, Paul wrote:

I had this happen here recently.

SOLVED:

Hi Paul,
I apologize for not responding sooner, as I did solve the BIOS problem.

The instant I removed everything from the desktop save for the essentials,
it booted to the BIOS (by pressing the F10 key at POST for my HP Pavilion).

Once I was in the BIOS, I could easily set the AMD-V on.
o https://i.postimg.cc/RhSXCJQn/cmos04.jpg Turn on AMD-V in the BIOS

Where, for emulation, that AMD-V in the BIOS was absolutely essential.

Yet, for subsequent emulation purposes... it turns out that, despite what
it says on the net, it doesn't matter whether Hyper-V "stuff" is on or off:
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg Hyper-V doesn't matter
o https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg Hyper-V doesn't matter

UPDATE:
This is the BIOS/AMD-V firmware problem I was trying to solve (and did):
o https://i.postimg.cc/fWSnSJXQ/cmos08.jpg Emulation fails w/o AMD-V
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Access CMOS settings
o https://i.postimg.cc/QdqTpBsq/cmos02.jpg Genymotion needs AMD-V
o https://i.postimg.cc/d1gkqrmJ/cmos03.jpg VirtualBox needs AMD-V
o https://i.postimg.cc/RhSXCJQn/cmos04.jpg Turn on AMD-V in the BIOS
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg Hyper-V doesn't matter
o https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg Hyper-V doesn't matter
o https://i.postimg.cc/hjGjkX9X/cmos06.jpg Genymotion emulation working

This is the Android Studio root problem I was trying to solve:
o https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg code working on phone
o https://i.postimg.cc/nLRWdFB1/as02.jpg code working in Genymotion
o https://i.postimg.cc/65NKJvkt/as03.jpg Google emulator fails on AMD CPU
o https://i.postimg.cc/QCQRxf2s/as04.jpg Google emulator always offline
o https://i.postimg.cc/qB2fL7zY/as05.jpg Google emulator always times out
o https://i.postimg.cc/02vTHqSN/as06.jpg Hyper-V off doesn't matter
o https://i.postimg.cc/Fsx2MnbV/as07.jpg Hyper-V on doesn't matter

Once I figured out the unintuitive step of enabling AMD-V but disabling
Intel Hyper-V in Windows 10, then it was time to add the emulators.

Adding the native Android Studio emulators works fine, but they're slow.
o So below are instructions for also adding faster Genymotion emulators.

After you get your "Hello World" running on your device over USB:
o https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg

It's time to get "Hello World" running in Genymotion Android emulation:
0. For AMD CPUs, you have to turn ON the AMD-V hypervisor in your BIOS
o Win+R msinfo32
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041
Hardwa NY549AA-ABA p6230y, HP-Pavilion, FOXCONN, ALOE
CPU: Authentic AMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 5.02, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes == this is critical!
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Here are the before-and-after screenshots for BIOS enabling of AMD-V:
https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg Intel-V doesn't matter
https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg Hyper-V doesn't matter
https://i.postimg.cc/hjGjkX9X/cmos06.jpg Genymotion emulation working

Note: As far as I have tested, it doesn't matter whether the Intel
hypervisor is enabled or disabled in your Windows 10 settings
(even as a zillion articles say you "must" either check or not check)
o Win+R ms-settingsptionalfeatures More Windows features
o Turn Windows Features on or off
[_]Core Isolation
[_]Credential Guard
[_]Hyper-V
[_]Virtual Machine Platform == it doesn't seem to matter if checked
[_]Windows Hypervisor Platform == doesn't seem to matter if checked
[_]Windows Sandbox
[_]Windows Subsystem for Linux version 2

1. Install & run Genymotion Personal Edition (with VirtualBox)
https://www.genymotion.com/
(Follow instructions at the Genymotion web site, which are pretty good.)
2. Once you have Genymotion installed & Android emulation running,
then find your SDK path (if you don't already know it)
AS:Tools SDK Manager Android SDK Locations
3. Set ADB in Genymotion to point to that Android SDK path
Genymotion:Settings ADB
Change from:
(o)Use Genymotion Android Tools (default)
(_)Use custom Android SDK Tools
Change to:
(_)Use Genymotion Android Tools (default)
(o)Use custom Android SDK Tools
[Browse]C:/app/editor/android/sdk
4. In Genymotion, to add a device, press the red "(+)" sign at the top.
Choose any Android device & API to emulate & press "Install"
Once installed, press the Genymotion "Start" button to boot it.
You should get an Android emulation window after a minute or two.
5. Now install the Genymotion plugins into Android Studio:
AS:File Settings Plugins Marketplace Genymotion Install
Restart Android Studio to apply changes to plugins.
6. Now point Android Studio to your Genymotion folder
AS:File Tools Emulator Genymotion Plugin
Select the path to the Genymotion folder
C:\app\editor\android\emu\genymotion
7. Start Genymotion from your taskbar cascade accordion foldout menu
Taskbar menu editor android genymotion
Start the emulator from inside of Genymotion's installed devices
Wait for the emulator to start in a separate window in Windows.
8. From inside Android Studio, you can now select that emulator.
Then run your code on that emulator.
https://i.postimg.cc/nLRWdFB1/as02.jpg

In summary, you now should have the following:
A. Android Studio runs "Hello World" on your phone over USB
https://i.postimg.cc/1tvysJY1/as01.jpg
B. Android Studio runs "Hello World" over Google Android emulation:
https://i.postimg.cc/65NKJvkt/as03.jpg Google emulator fails
https://i.postimg.cc/QCQRxf2s/as04.jpg Google emulator always offline
https://i.postimg.cc/qB2fL7zY/as05.jpg Google emulator times out
Note: It's rare for me to "just give up" but for the life of me,
I couldn't get the native AVD Android emulation to do anything
but show up blank on my AMD CPU, and, judging from the references,
many (many) people have the same (unsolved) problem set on AMD.
https://i.postimg.cc/02vTHqSN/as06.jpg Hyper-V off doesn't matter
https://i.postimg.cc/Fsx2MnbV/as07.jpg Hyper-V on doesn't matter
C. Android Studio runs "Hello World" over Genymotion emulation:
https://i.postimg.cc/nLRWdFB1/as02.jpg

Everything above except item "B" was relatively easy; B was impossible.
o https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20155376/android-stop-emulator-from-command-line
o https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3152681/android-emulator-5554-offline
o https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59974253/android-studio-problem-timed-out-waiting-for-process-to-appear-on-device
o https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62343011/android-studio-waiting-for-all-target-devices-to-come-online-and-black-avd-err
o https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62560767/android-emulator-stays-with-black-screen-after-trying-a-lot-of-things-to-fix-it
o https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62892194/android-emulator-was-not-loading-in-android-4-0
(etc., there are many, most unresolved or arbitrarily resolved)

All these exact same concurrent errors exist in all articles:
a. AVD pops up the Android emulator; but it is black & unresponsive.
b. STATUS: Waiting for all target devices to come online
c. ERROR: AVD Manager Timed out after 300seconds waiting for emulator to come online.
d. AS:Tools Troubleshoot device connections Rescan devices
Found 1 Android device(s) with possible problems:
emulator-5554 -*Device is currently in the offline state
e. Win+R cmd
c:\ adb devices
List of devices attached
emulator-5554 offline

See also:
o Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/p5RvsY_M978

o Can someone please explain the logic of turning AMD-V "ON" in the BIOS, & then turning Intel Hyper-V "OFF" in "Turn Windows features on or off" just to get Android emulation to work on WIndows 10?
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/zcSpBmmc6eM

o Tutorial Installing Android Studio 4.1.1 on Windows 10 (AMD CPU)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/g3ymz5CPsIk

o Report: My first "hello world" using Android Studio freeware on Windows
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/aW64zYeBtF0
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart, to help others, where I can.
Old December 15th 20, 02:20 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:30:22 +0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg Intel-V doesn't matter
https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg Hyper-V doesn't matter

Ooops.

I forgot to mention why it matters that Hyper-V doesn't seem to matter.
o Genymotion seems to claim that it does matter that Hyper-V be turned off.

But, in my tests, Genymotion Android emulation worked with or without the
Intel Hyper-V turned on or off.

What mattered absolutely was that AMD-V be turned on (in the BIOS).

However, to support my claim that Genymotion says to enable Hyper-V (yet, I
found it didn't seem to matter), here are cites supporting that statement:

o Genymotion Desktop and Hyper-V (Windows 8/8.1/10)
https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002732677

o "An error has occurred while trying to create a virtualbox host-only
network interface" (Windows)
https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002706697

o "Your CPU is incompatible with virtualization technologies" error
https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002737597

o "Unable to start the Virtual Device" error
https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002718198

o How to disable Memory integrity in Windows 10?
https://support.genymotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009163277

In summary:
1. AMD-V absolutely must be on for Genymotion or Google Android emulation
2. Intel Hyper-V stuff doesn't seem to matter whether it's on or off.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to help others do this more easily.
Old December 15th 20, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Mark Lloyd[_6_]

On 12/14/20 12:28 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

I have an old Dell that seems to have no way to enter setup other than
to physically disconnect the hard drive (so no boot devices are
available).

Dell uses f1 or f2 or something different from the standard del key.

I always try F1, F2, and ESC.

--
10 days until the winter celebration (Fri, Dec 25, 2020 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life." --Terry Pratchett
Old December 15th 20, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 11:41:32 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Dell uses f1 or f2 or something different from the standard del key.

I always try F1, F2, and ESC.

On my HP Pavilion, it says, at POST, to press "F10" for BIOS Setup
o But I'm never sure if it's a "tap tap tap" or "long press" or what

For my HP Pavilion, the Boot Menu is "Escape" & the Diagnostic menu is "F9"
o But again, I'm never sure if it's a "tap tap tap" or "long press" or what
Old December 26th 20, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 12/12/2020 8:47 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
snip...
Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did you resolve that issue?

Yes. More than once. Usually it is a matter of the BIOS mode being
dependent upon a particular keyboard connection. In old MBs it was not
uncommon for them to watch for signals from PS2 keyboards only. Any USB
keyboards would be ignored until after the boot and some driver or other
was loaded. I have one more modern MB, a "Genuine Intel" of some sort or
other which ignores input from a wireless keyboard/pad until after boot
even though the KB's adapter is plugged into a USB port. If I plug in a
"real" USB keyboard of any description it will work during boot. Luckily
the MB in question is willing to overlook the missing keyboard and boot anyway.

Oh, and yes, I've had a couple of mystery MBs were I had to play guessing
games about which key and precisely when to press it to achieve BIOS.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.

Continuous working mode dinoz General 7 September 28th 11 06:42 PM
Sata standby mode no working? HELP PLEASE joshkgb Storage (alternative) 1 October 21st 06 04:53 PM
Games not working in clone mode GTS Nvidia Videocards 2 November 15th 04 07:06 PM
A7N8X Deluxe Rev2: BIOS error: System was not correctly shut down.... working in safe mode speed user Asus Motherboards 2 April 4th 04 02:01 AM
52.16 (tv-out) overlay clone mode not working [s]arrow Nvidia Videocards 1 October 30th 03 11:21 PM