What is the smart chip in a laser printer cartridge?

Old August 8th 15, 10:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

Default What is the smart chip in a laser printer cartridge?

This is a rather academic question, because I've almost decided what to
buy, and where. But I want to understand "chip".

BTW, my printing volume is very low. Two or 3 pages a week. But the
copies are getting dim. I plan to turn the current cartridge over a few
times and see if that darkens things, but iiuc, either way, I'll soon
need a new one. (I have another Epson ink-jet printer for color, but
I use that even less. I make a point to print something every two
months so cartridges don't dry out. Last time I forgot until 3 months
had passed, and it was still good, but I'm going back to 2 months..)

What is the smart chip in a laser printer cartridge? Is that like a
chip off the old block, or a chip on his shoulder?

My printer has to be 15 years old** by now, a Samsung ML-4500. I don't
remember if I have the manual for it or not, but I don't remember
anything about a smart chip **Yes, review for it dated Jan. 2001.
Manual is copyright 2000.

The url below says "Containing new and used parts, including a new smart
chip," What did the smart chip do, especially in a printer that old?
Do you think it means new in the sense that it never had one before?

Or do you think they just use the same text from other ink cartridges
that actually have chips, and this one never had one and still doesn't?

http://www.amazon.com/LD-Remanufactu.../dp/B000VKXXS0

Should I take this part seriously: "While most competitors simply
refill the toner cartridge and hope the drum and other key components
last we fully disassemble the toner cartridge and rebuild it to ensure
the highest quality prints. "

So there is some little drum within the toner cartridge??? Not like the
Royal brand copier my boss gave me in 1983 when they bought another one,
that drum was 12" in diameter and separate from the toner cartridge.
The whole copier was biggggg.
Old August 8th 15, 11:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
R.Wieser

micky,

What is the smart chip in a laser printer cartridge?

Its simply a "key" that fits the "lock" thats inside your printer. If the
key does not fit the lock then the cartridge is rejected.

In short: its a method to force you to buy a specific cartridge, one thats
only made by the printer manufacturer and most often sold at highly inflated
prices*.

*other parties would certainly want to make such cartridges, but thats
normally made impossible because of the copyrights that are put on that
"key".

Another function of that "smart chip" sometimes is to also hold an expiry
date. When that date passes no matter how full the cartridge still is its
also rejected*.

*something thats defended by the printer/cartridge manufacturers by
reasoning its to "protect the printer form being damaged" (by ink that
supposedly "has gone bad").

Bottom line: If you buy a chipped cartridge from any other source than from
the printer manufacturer (or someone it has licenced to make such
cartridges) you're on your own. Its possible the cartridges will work, but
as easy that they will not.

In your case it might be that the printer manufacturer doesn't realy care
anymore about those counterfeit(?) chipped cartridges, 'cause your printer
is "obsolete" for them (read: not in their assortiment anymore and not
servicable in any way).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
micky schreef in berichtnieuws

http://www.amazon.com/LD-Remanufactu...inters/dp/B000

Old August 8th 15, 01:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , micky
writes:
This is a rather academic question, because I've almost decided what to
buy, and where. But I want to understand "chip".

BTW, my printing volume is very low. Two or 3 pages a week. But the

(Mine's a lot less than that, as I usually use the nice up-to-A3 colour
laser at work!)

copies are getting dim. I plan to turn the current cartridge over a few
times and see if that darkens things, but iiuc, either way, I'll soon
need a new one. (I have another Epson ink-jet printer for color, but
I use that even less. I make a point to print something every two
months so cartridges don't dry out. Last time I forgot until 3 months

(Not just the cartridges, the print heads. Especially in printers where
the head isn't part of the cartridge, such as Epson and Brother. [For
most HP printers - I think this is still the case - when you buy a new
cartridge, you get a new head. HP use resistive-heating heads, Epson
piezo-electric. Not sure about Brother - I think resistive but
separate.])

had passed, and it was still good, but I'm going back to 2 months..)

I've recently bought a continuous-ink-supply system for my EPSON; I'll
fit it next time a cartridge runs out.

What is the smart chip in a laser printer cartridge? Is that like a
chip off the old block, or a chip on his shoulder?

I hadn't heard the suggestions Rudy Wieser makes of them just being an
identity check, or containing an expiry date. But that doesn't mean
those can't be the case! (Though I'd be surprised at the expiry date
one, as printers don't usually have a calendar. Though if used from
Windows, they could always demand the date be sent from the PC - though
I'd expect someone to hack that and send it an old date.)

I always understood these "chips" to be, in effect, drop counters - they
count how many drops have been fired, and refuse to proceed once a
certain number has been passed, ostensibly to prevent damage caused by
attempting to print when there is no ink.

My printer has to be 15 years old** by now, a Samsung ML-4500. I don't
remember if I have the manual for it or not, but I don't remember
anything about a smart chip **Yes, review for it dated Jan. 2001.
Manual is copyright 2000.

The url below says "Containing new and used parts, including a new smart
chip," What did the smart chip do, especially in a printer that old?
Do you think it means new in the sense that it never had one before?

I think that last suggestion is unlikely.

Or do you think they just use the same text from other ink cartridges
that actually have chips, and this one never had one and still doesn't?

I suspect that is the most likely. I've never heard of laser printers
having these chips, though that doesn't mean that none do.

From the printer driver on the computer, can you see how empty the
cartridge is? If so, that would _suggest_ there is something in the
printer that the computer can talk to, though not guarantee it (the
computer could just itself count drops - or, I suppose, pixels, for a
laser printer. But it'd then have to know when you changed the
cartridge). Similarly, the _absence_ of such a facility wouldn't mean
there _isn't_ a pixel-counter in the cartridge (just that the driver
writer hadn't bothered to implement talking to it).

http://www.amazon.com/LD-Remanufactu...e-Printers/dp/
B000VKXXS0

I'm a bit surprised to see a shelf life quoted, especially one so short,
for a laser toner cartridge.

Should I take this part seriously: "While most competitors simply
refill the toner cartridge and hope the drum and other key components
last we fully disassemble the toner cartridge and rebuild it to ensure
the highest quality prints. "

So there is some little drum within the toner cartridge??? Not like the
Royal brand copier my boss gave me in 1983 when they bought another one,
that drum was 12" in diameter and separate from the toner cartridge.
The whole copier was biggggg.

Some laser printers do have a drum within the cartridge, some have it as
a separate item. I think the drum-in-cartridge is commoner now.

You might look into cartridge refilling: it can be done with laser
cartridges! Last time I looked, the better kits came with a sort of
round metal thing you heat over the gas, then use to make a hole in the
cartridge, through which you filled it from the toner container in the
kit (and then sealed the hole - I forget how, probably with a supplied
cap). If your prints are _not_ streaky, i. e. the drum inside the
cartridge is OK, this might be worth looking into. Obviously, don't
bother if the printer one day refuses to print, rather than just
producing white paper, as that suggests there _is_ a chip.

If there is - there might be a way of resetting it; as I say I wasn't
aware of such chips existing in laser printers anyway, but certainly
there are softwares out there (the best-known one written by a Russian)
that can reset the chips in a wide variety of printers, especially
Epson. (In some cases they can only "freeze", i. e. you have to run them
before a cartridge declares empty.) There's also a waste ink reservoir
counter in some inkjets: when they think the reservoir is full, they
stop the printer. There are softwares - possibly the same one, I can't
remember - that reset these too; obviously, though, they don't actually
empty the reservoir, so if you keep doing it, you'll eventually get to
the point where it overflows and mucks up the inside of the printer.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

A 'right' and an 'obligation' are two entirely different concepts.
- "Mac" 2015-5-2
Old August 8th 15, 10:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

On 8/8/15 6:34 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
I've never heard of laser printers
having these chips, though that doesn't mean that none do.

Unfortunately, some laser printers do have chips, and not always where
you think they may be.

I have a Samsung CLP-315W color laser. The network model.

A couple years ago, it simply stopped booting up. I tried new
cartridges, which also have chips, all to no avail. I took the printer
to a printer repair shop, no luck there either, although he tried
everything he could think of.

In the meantime, I bought the USB version off eBay, so I was still able
to print after installing the USB driver.

I eventually set the network printer back up to do some troubleshooting.
I took the cartridges from the USB and installed in the network
printer. No go.

I like this printer, so contacted Samsung about repairs. The person at
the other end asked what the error message was on the Smart Panel. Huh?
What's that? Turns out the Smart Panel wasn't installed on this Mac,
I don't know why. Told him I'd get back with him.

I then tried the printer on my Windows computer, which did have the
Smart Panel. It said to change the excess toner bin. What does that
have to do with anything? Just a few dregs of excess toner in it, no
way was it full. Since the USB printer was working, I took the toner
bin from the USB printer and put it in the network printer, and the
network printer worked!

A close inspection of the toner bin revealed there is a chip embedded in
the bin!!! Apparently, after X number of pages, it assumes the bin is
nearly full and shuts you down. Cost me $25 to get a new bin, but it's
still working along.

Now it seems I'm having similar chip counting problems with the cyan
cartridge, and a replacement cartridge I'd used for testing during the
earlier toner bin problem won't let the printer work. @^*(^)^&^$Q$#

Not sure how I'm going to resolve this.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old August 9th 15, 02:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:34:37
+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:
[...]

Did I post here about the all-in-one Brother, about 4 years old, that I
found out by the curb not too far from my home? It has a door right in
the right front to reach the cartridges, which don't move, And if you
leave the door open, the machine won't work. Maybe that's to thwart
conitinuous ink.

[...]

Okay.

Or do you think they just use the same text from other ink cartridges
that actually have chips, and this one never had one and still doesn't?

I suspect that is the most likely. I've never heard of laser printers
having these chips, though that doesn't mean that none do.

From the printer driver on the computer, can you see how empty the
cartridge is?

No. I don't think it even tells the computer if has no paper.

If so, that would _suggest_ there is something in the
printer that the computer can talk to, though not guarantee it (the
computer could just itself count drops - or, I suppose, pixels, for a
laser printer. But it'd then have to know when you changed the
cartridge). Similarly, the _absence_ of such a facility wouldn't mean
there _isn't_ a pixel-counter in the cartridge (just that the driver
writer hadn't bothered to implement talking to it).

http://www.amazon.com/LD-Remanufactu...e-Printers/dp/
B000VKXXS0

I'm a bit surprised to see a shelf life quoted, especially one so short,
for a laser toner cartridge.

I wondered about that too, especially since I've had the same printer
for 7 or 10 years, with the same cartridge. The print has been dim for
the last year, but I don't think that's a factor of shelf life.

Should I take this part seriously: "While most competitors simply
refill the toner cartridge and hope the drum and other key components
last we fully disassemble the toner cartridge and rebuild it to ensure
the highest quality prints. "

So there is some little drum within the toner cartridge??? Not like the
Royal brand copier my boss gave me in 1983 when they bought another one,
that drum was 12" in diameter and separate from the toner cartridge.
The whole copier was biggggg.

Some laser printers do have a drum within the cartridge, some have it as
a separate item. I think the drum-in-cartridge is commoner now.

You might look into cartridge refilling: it can be done with laser

I did that with my first ink-jet printer, which I used for at least 10
years. It went well. I'll check it out.

[...]

I'm totally opposed to some kinds of chicanery that I consider stealing,
but here it's like a battle of wits and it doesn't bother me so much.

Old August 9th 15, 03:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , micky
writes:
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:34:37
+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

[]
I've recently bought a continuous-ink-supply system for my EPSON; I'll
fit it next time a cartridge runs out.

Did I post here about the all-in-one Brother, about 4 years old, that I
found out by the curb not too far from my home? It has a door right in
the right front to reach the cartridges, which don't move, And if you
leave the door open, the machine won't work. Maybe that's to thwart
conitinuous ink.

I have a Brother. (He's associate editor on the Dictionary. Sorry.) I've
seen pictures of the CI systems for the model I've got; the (they're
rather thin) tubes for it I think run along the channel for the USB
cable.
[]
The url below says "Containing new and used parts, including a new smart
chip," What did the smart chip do, especially in a printer that old?
Do you think it means new in the sense that it never had one before?

I think that last suggestion is unlikely.

Okay.

[]
No. I don't think it even tells the computer if has no paper.

In that case, I'd _imagine_ it has no cartridge chips either.

If you look all over the current cartridge, can you see any electrical
contacts on it?
[]
I'm a bit surprised to see a shelf life quoted, especially one so short,
for a laser toner cartridge.

[]
Some laser printers do have a drum within the cartridge, some have it as
a separate item. I think the drum-in-cartridge is commoner now.

You might look into cartridge refilling: it can be done with laser

I did that with my first ink-jet printer, which I used for at least 10
years. It went well. I'll check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toner_refill says some refill kits include
chips if required. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmLZAa6Z27U seems to
back that up, though with a rather posh hole-making tool that looks a
bit like a soldering iron (the one I saw a few years ago was just
something you warmed over a heat source).
[]
I'm totally opposed to some kinds of chicanery that I consider stealing,
but here it's like a battle of wits and it doesn't bother me so much.

Indeed. The manufacturers charge so much over the odds, at least for
inkjet ink, that I have no qualms about bypassing them. I once worked
out that one ink - I think HP, which is _slightly_ unfair as their
cartridges do include a new head, but still - costs more per CC than
Chanel #5 (which is an expensive perfume).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

If you can't construct a coherent argument for the other side, you probably
don't understand your own opinion. - Scott Adams, 2015
Old August 9th 15, 06:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sun, 9 Aug 2015 03:26:03
+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

I think HP, which is _slightly_ unfair as their
cartridges do include a new head, but still - costs more per CC than
Chanel #5 (which is an expensive perfume).

I can get Channel 5. I think it's WNUV. For free. So I beat them
again!
Old August 9th 15, 06:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toner_refill says some refill kits include
chips if required

Wow. Wikip has an entry for everything ! it seems.
Old August 9th 15, 12:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
R.Wieser

Micky,

And if you leave the door open, the machine won't work.
Maybe that's to thwart conitinuous ink.

Its more likely that having the door closed means a) the cartridges are
seated correctly and b) nothing is in the way of the mechanisms (they can
move freely)

No. I don't think it even tells the computer if has no paper.

:-) I think it does. Even the *very* old ASCII-only printers did send
that status back to the computer by *a dedicated wire* on the old-school
printer connector (25-pin D-connector: pin 22).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
micky schreef in berichtnieuws
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:34:37
+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:
[...]

From the printer driver on the computer, can you see how empty the

Old August 9th 15, 02:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:03:18
+0200, "R.Wieser" wrote:

Micky,

And if you leave the door open, the machine won't work.
Maybe that's to thwart conitinuous ink.

Its more likely that having the door closed means a) the cartridges are
seated correctly and b) nothing is in the way of the mechanisms (they can
move freely)

Well, there are other messages about the indidividual cartridges. For
example, if I've taken out the yellow, it ask if I have replaced the
yellow. I don't know if it means replaced it with itself or with a new
one, so I'm not sure what to answer, but I say Yes.

OTOH, if someone wanted to avoid the door open message, to have
continuous ink, he could burn a hole in the door with a soldering iron.
I would do that even if the printer permitted the door to be open,
because it would annoy me to have the door open all the time.

No. I don't think it even tells the computer if has no paper.

:-) I think it does.

I think it doesn't. And I have a better view than you do.

Even the *very* old ASCII-only printers did send
that status back to the computer by *a dedicated wire* on the old-school
printer connector (25-pin D-connector: pin 22).

I'm not sure what "very" old means but this one doesn't.

In your honor I looked at the manual again and it was interesting.

There is a DCU, a code reader/tool that is used for troubleshooting. and
to use it one has to take off a front cover and a side cover, and then
connect it.

I think the problem being troubleshot here is NO IMAGE. The steps are
Is the connection of OPC GND and Frame Ground correct? (less than 10%)
If Yes,
Developing (-350V) and supplying (-550V) voltage are OK?
If Yes,
Does the counter indicate over the toner’s guarranty life?
If Yes,,
Replace the toner cartridge

So there is a counter. But it's not available to the user.

But for LIGHT IMAGE,
Is it not over the guaranty life of dot counter?
If no, replace the developer
If yes Is the toner save mode or the light mode is selected?

Why not check that first!! It's a light on the top of the printer.

I have light image. That's why I'm planning to buy a new toner
cartridge, but I think I'll read the instructions here first. Hmmm.
The flow chart doesn't list Replace Toner anywhere. It does have
Replace the Developer (which I think includes the toner) and it has
Replace the High Voltage section. And Replace the LSU.

Anyhow, the counter is under the cover panel or that is, the CDU
connector is under the cover panel.

- Origional message:
micky schreef in berichtnieuws
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:34:37
+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:
[...]

From the printer driver on the computer, can you see how empty the