flash drive problem

Old June 26th 10, 08:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe[_23_]

Default flash drive problem

I stupidly, twice - after using USB flash drives- just pulled them when done
without properly removing them. Now they are permanently listed in my
"device manager" and in "my computer". I went into device manager and tried
to uninstall them. It seemed to work but the next time I booted up- Vista
found drivers and now they're back in "my computer" and the device manager.
This doesn't seem to be causing a problem but I'd like to get rid of them.
Joe

Old June 27th 10, 07:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Joe wrote:
I stupidly, twice - after using USB flash drives- just pulled them
when done without properly removing them. Now they are permanently
listed in my "device manager" and in "my computer". I went into
device manager and tried to uninstall them. It seemed to work but the
next time I booted up- Vista found drivers and now they're back in
"my computer" and the device manager. This doesn't seem to be causing
a problem but I'd like to get rid of them.

Have you tried safely removing them like you should have done in the first place ?

Old June 28th 10, 12:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe[_23_]

Just tried that- installed a new flash drive- but it added a new letter-
didn't use one of the old ones- then when I chose to "remove" it- the OS
just removed the new letter.

Old June 28th 10, 04:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Joe wrote:
Just tried that- installed a new flash drive- but it added a new letter-
didn't use one of the old ones- then when I chose to "remove" it- the OS
just removed the new letter.

It the problematic flash maybe not marked as "removable"?

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old June 28th 10, 05:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
GMAN[_13_]

In article , "Joe" wrote:
Just tried that- installed a new flash drive- but it added a new letter-
didn't use one of the old ones- then when I chose to "remove" it- the OS
just removed the new letter.

Boot in safe mode and remove them?

Old June 28th 10, 07:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Joe wrote:

Just tried that- installed a new flash drive- but it added a new letter- didn't use one of the old ones- then when I
chose to "remove" it- the OS just removed the new letter.

Dont you get to select which one you want to remove ?

If you dont, the problem isnt with flash drives lasting forever, its
just with drive LETTERS persisting, a different matter entirely.