Newbie P5K-E peripherals power question

Old January 22nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mike

Default Newbie P5K-E peripherals power question

Just got a new system with a Asus P5K-E motherboard.

As I was going to sleep the other night I noticed light coming from
the area of the computer I got up to look to see if I forgot to turn
off the monitor. What I found was that even though the computer was
off, the peripherals were still getting power???

The keyboard, mouse, and USB external hard drive were all still on. It
was late and I didn't want to think about it but this morning looking
through the motherboard bios settings (that was my only guess) I
didn't see anything that would keep these things on.

I use a switchbox for the monitor and keyboard, the keyboard plugging
into the keyboard jack. The mouse and external harddrive are usb.

Is there a setting make sure these things don't get power when the
computer is turned off?

thanks
mike
Old January 26th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Crew

mike wrote:
[...]

By 'switchbox', are you referring to a power strip with multiple outlets? If
so, bingo! The little green light at the lower corner of the board is lit
because your motherboard is still powered although you did shut down the
operating system. After you shut down and the motherboard terminates power to
the peripheral devices connected to it, the motherboard will still receive
power until you either switch the power off at the back of the computer or at
the power strip.

Just so you know, the computer will immediately boot up if left in the
conditions as you described above in your post (power strip left 'on'). If you
cut the power strip off and then turn it back on when you use your computer the
next time, be aware that the motherboard will power up for a split second, shut
down for a couple of seconds (seems like an eternity the first time!), and then
power back up. This is normal. The chipset checks itself for valid settings
to insure a safe boot process. If it detects anything (like an overclock
failure), it will kick into the BIOS menu. Just thought I would let you know
so you aren't surprised. I cut everything off at night so this behavior is
normal.