M2N32-SLI Deluxe: System Turns Off after 5 Seconds of Turning On

Old December 2nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_11_]

Default M2N32-SLI Deluxe: System Turns Off after 5 Seconds of Turning On

Hello,

I would sincerely appreciate any help with my problem. Yesterday
I went to turn on my PC, and then 4 or 5 secs later after turning
on it turns off. The fans go on, the hard drives start spinning,
and then mysteriously the system turns off. Unfortunately my case
(Antec P180 silver) doesn't have a built-in speaker, so I don't
know if there are any audible error codes.

I have 2 sticks of Corsair 1GB DDR memory, so I removed one.
No luck. I erased the BIOS memory. Again, no luck. I read
in some forums that if you press the reset button twice right
after turning on, you will be able to see POST and enter the
BIOS settings. Unfortunately, no luck.

One more thing, the day before this problem I updated to the
latest BIOS. Could this have anything to do with it? After
updating the BIOS, I restarted several and it worked perfectly.
However, the next day when I went to turn it on, I had this
damned problem. :-(

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I would
be very grateful for any help.

Thank you,
Paul
Old December 2nd 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jack R

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds to me like your CPU heatsink has come adrift.
I'd suggest checking that, and if you're confident in the operation,
removing the HS and reinstalling it.
It's probably not the BIOS update, as you said it rebooted successfully a
few times after the update.
IHTH,
Jack R.

Old December 2nd 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_11_]

Hi Jack, (better not say that at the airport!)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out and let you
know. Also, I forgot to list my parts in the first post:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD
MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256EZ-HD Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Sony 1.44MB 3.5in
Pioneer DVR-112DBK 18X IDE
Antec P180
Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT
Samsung 19" LCD 940BX
Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Black Card Reader

Old December 3rd 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_11_]

I removed the motherboard from the case to make sure
there are no short circuits. I subsequently removed
the heatsink and processor, then reinstalled both very
carefull. Unfortunately, no luck. :-(

I'm starting to think that I have a bad motherboard. It
was working fine for a couple of months. I must say though
that in the last week or two, I was experiencing more lockups
and freezes. (That's why I decided to upgrade the BIOS to the
latest version.) I wonder if there's a connection here?

Do processors ever go bad? Could it be the processor by
any chance?

Thank you,
Paul

Old December 3rd 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ollie

Paul,

If you have a "spare" power supply, you could try it to exclude the Seasonic
S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT from the list of suspects.

Cheers, Ollie

Old December 3rd 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jack R

"Paul" wrote in message
I removed the motherboard from the case to make sure
there are no short circuits. I subsequently removed
the heatsink and processor, then reinstalled both very
carefull. Unfortunately, no luck. :-(

I'm starting to think that I have a bad motherboard. It
was working fine for a couple of months. I must say though
that in the last week or two, I was experiencing more lockups
and freezes. (That's why I decided to upgrade the BIOS to the
latest version.) I wonder if there's a connection here?

Do processors ever go bad? Could it be the processor by
any chance?

Thank you,
Paul

I'd look at the power supply next. Do you have a meter to measure the
voltages, or another PS to substitute?
CPUs do go bad, but rarely in my experience, and then mainly caused by heat
(failed/blocked fan), or a power failure/surge.

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can more
easily follow the thread.

Good luck,

Jack R

Old December 3rd 07, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_11_]

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try a PS from another computer.
Even though the system runs for 5 secs, do you think it could be
the Seasonic? If the PS had gone bad, wouldn't the computer fail
to even start?

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can more
easily follow the thread.

Will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

Best regards,
Paul
Old December 3rd 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_11_]

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:57:12 -0500, "Ollie" olivili at hot mail dot c
o m wrote:

Paul,

If you have a "spare" power supply, you could try it to exclude the Seasonic
S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT from the list of suspects.

Cheers, Ollie

Thanks Ollie. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Best regards,
Paul

Old December 3rd 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

snip

I'd look at the power supply next. Do you have a meter to measure the
voltages, or another PS to substitute?
CPUs do go bad, but rarely in my experience, and then mainly caused by

heat
(failed/blocked fan), or a power failure/surge.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try a PS from another computer.
Even though the system runs for 5 secs, do you think it could be
the Seasonic? If the PS had gone bad, wouldn't the computer fail
to even start?

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can

more
easily follow the thread.

Will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

Best regards,
Paul

I had one like that last week. I changed the power supply and it was fine
after that.

Old December 3rd 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jack R

--stuff deleted--

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try a PS from another computer.
Even though the system runs for 5 secs, do you think it could be
the Seasonic? If the PS had gone bad, wouldn't the computer fail
to even start?

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can
more
easily follow the thread.

Will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

Best regards,
Paul

Paul, You'd be amazed at the bizarre problems an
intermittent/unstable/flakey/failing power supply can cause...

Jack R