P5K-VM memory advice please

Old December 8th 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Steve S

Default P5K-VM memory advice please

I'm looking to buy a P5K-VM motherboard with E6750 shortly. Can someone
advise on a good RAM choice, totalling 2GB please? I'm not interested in
overclocking, just looking for stability, reliability and reasonable
performance.

Thank you.

Old December 8th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Thomas Elser

Are you sure you want to buy this board? Google for "P5K" and "problem",
maybe you change your mind ...

Old December 8th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Steve S

"Thomas Elser" wrote in message
.. .
Are you sure you want to buy this board? Google for "P5K" and "problem",
maybe you change your mind ...

Thanks for the tip. I basically need a micro-ATX board for an E6750 with a
parallel port. The Gigabyte GA-G33-DS2R was my second choice.

Steve

Old December 9th 07, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Adams[_2_]

Thomas Elser wrote:
Are you sure you want to buy this board? Google for "P5K" and "problem",
maybe you change your mind ...

Why don't you show us the links instead? I have a P5K and have never had
an issue with it yet. I doubt you own one and are just spreading FUD
based on hearsay.
Old December 9th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Adams[_2_]

Steve S wrote:
I'm looking to buy a P5K-VM motherboard with E6750 shortly. Can someone
advise on a good RAM choice, totalling 2GB please? I'm not interested in
overclocking, just looking for stability, reliability and reasonable
performance.

Thank you.

I have a P5K and have no issues, so do lots of other people. Not saying
there may not be any issues with certain hardware or configurations.
That person saying there are issues may be referring to an old bios
version when the mb was first released. That is a common complaint about
many mb's when they are first released. He said P5K and not just P5K-VM
so I assume he is referring to all P5K mb's. For decent cheap ram look
for 2x1gb of Patriot Signature Line DDR2 800mhz. That's what I use on
the P5K and have no problems, I've even overclocked this ram in the past
too with no problems.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/22489...G800K/Patriot/

Old December 9th 07, 02:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Steve S

"John Adams" wrote in message
. ..

I have a P5K and have no issues, so do lots of other people. Not saying
there may not be any issues with certain hardware or configurations. That
person saying there are issues may be referring to an old bios version
when the mb was first released. That is a common complaint about many mb's
when they are first released. He said P5K and not just P5K-VM so I assume
he is referring to all P5K mb's. For decent cheap ram look for 2x1gb of
Patriot Signature Line DDR2 800mhz. That's what I use on the P5K and have
no problems, I've even overclocked this ram in the past too with no
problems.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/22489...G800K/Patriot/

I've used Asus motherboards for many years without any serious issues.
Occasionally, a BIOS update is required to solve a minor problem, but they
are generally very reliable.

Has anyone here purchased a recent P5K-VM without an issue? There are some
(Googled) reports of an "Overclocking failed" message, even without
overclocking. This appears to result from the user operating the power
button twice, when the first press causes the system to start but only
briefly. Another three to six seconds of delay then follows when the user
(rightly) initially believes the system is still off. This second press
causing the BIOS to report POST errors.

Thanks again.

Old December 10th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Adams[_2_]

Steve S wrote:

I've used Asus motherboards for many years without any serious issues.
Occasionally, a BIOS update is required to solve a minor problem, but they
are generally very reliable.

Has anyone here purchased a recent P5K-VM without an issue? There are some
(Googled) reports of an "Overclocking failed" message, even without
overclocking. This appears to result from the user operating the power
button twice, when the first press causes the system to start but only
briefly. Another three to six seconds of delay then follows when the user
(rightly) initially believes the system is still off. This second press
causing the BIOS to report POST errors.

Thanks again.

Oops, I had that happen on my P5K and thought it was because I was
OC'ing the cpu by 600mhz and the cpu was running too hot so I turned off
the OC until I bought a new HSF, which I never did do. Thanks, now I can
go look for a bios update to see if it is fixed.
Old December 11th 07, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Thomas Elser

"John Adams" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
Thomas Elser wrote:
Are you sure you want to buy this board? Google for "P5K" and "problem",
maybe you change your mind ...

Why don't you show us the links instead? I have a P5K and have never had
an issue with it yet. I doubt you own one and are just spreading FUD based
on hearsay.

People able to read have an clear advantage in life...