Tight Screws

Old October 9th 08, 04:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default Tight Screws

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:16:09 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

You forgot bubble gum, rubber bands, paper clips and toothpicks!

... Ben Myers

And perhaps a bible for those tough jobs that you seek a higher
authority for help.
Old October 9th 08, 06:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Nope! Google.

Toothpicks do come in handy for cleaning all the little grooves in a laptop
chassis... Ben Myers

Old October 9th 08, 11:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:

You forgot bubble gum, rubber bands, paper clips and toothpicks!

... Ben Myers

And perhaps a bible for those tough jobs that you seek a higher
authority for help.

....and fast-set epoxy...for the occasional breakage or patch!
Old October 10th 08, 10:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

A (apparently) motherboard died in my Vostro 1500.

The chat guy asks me to remote optical drive, HD
and RAM and try powering it on.

I got the optical drive out.

I got two screws of the HD out. They were tight,
and released with a loud ``crack'' when they
started turning. Do they impact-wrench them on?

The other two screws won't loosen. Apparently
even tighter than the first two.

Anyway they started to strip in spite of my
excellent Phillips screwdriver technique.

These are really tiny tiny screws and seem to have
a not very standard phillips head.

Anyway just a complaint about the damn screws.

I'm shipping the whole thing for repair, as a
result.

I did like the casual request to remove the
memory, which is not easy, involving lifting the
keyboard somehow. But I didn't get that far.

``Remove roof and temporarily set aside'' is how
little jobs turn out to be big ones.

The Spin-it-out screw remover did the job
http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-8268.../dp/B000HE9VZY

One screw took a tiny touch of 1/16" drilling first, but the other
didn't even need that.

It's built for #0 screws, is what was attracting about it.

I wonder if I can get Dell to drop in 4 new screws in the package
they send back. I'll put in a note.

Old October 20th 08, 03:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tekkie®

Ron Hardin posted for all of us...

A (apparently) motherboard died in my Vostro 1500.

The chat guy asks me to remote optical drive, HD
and RAM and try powering it on.

I got the optical drive out.

I got two screws of the HD out. They were tight,
and released with a loud ``crack'' when they
started turning. Do they impact-wrench them on?

The other two screws won't loosen. Apparently
even tighter than the first two.

They use blue loctite
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Old October 22nd 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tekkie®

Ron Hardin posted for all of us...

Anyway they started to strip in spite of my
excellent Phillips screwdriver technique.

Posters are saying they never had a problem with these screws. I have, many
times, especially notebook hard drive screws.

I have Wiha, Snap-On, other expensive screwdrivers and they strip the heads.
So what's my problem? (Besides the obvious) What brand do YOU recommend?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Old October 22nd 08, 03:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_2_]

"Tekkie®" wrote:
Ron Hardin posted for all of us...

Anyway they started to strip in spite of my
excellent Phillips screwdriver technique.

Posters are saying they never had a problem with these screws.
I have, many times, especially notebook hard drive screws.

I have Wiha, Snap-On, other expensive screwdrivers and they
strip the heads. So what's my problem? (Besides the obvious)
What brand do YOU recommend?

Maybe a tiny drop of WD40 applied the night before with the
tip of a pin to the edge of the head, hoping that the fluid will creep
down to the threads? Or maybe a product called "Liquid Wrench"?

In the automotive world, I'd use an impact wrench - a tool that
converts a hammer blow to sudden torque - to break it loose. But,
there is shock involved.....

*TimDaniels*

Old October 22nd 08, 04:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Tekkie® wrote:
Ron Hardin posted for all of us...

Anyway they started to strip in spite of my
excellent Phillips screwdriver technique.

Posters are saying they never had a problem with these screws. I have, many
times, especially notebook hard drive screws.

I have Wiha, Snap-On, other expensive screwdrivers and they strip the heads.
So what's my problem? (Besides the obvious) What brand do YOU recommend?

I recommend the Sears set of flat-head, Philips, and Torx screw drivers.
You get 8 or 9 of them in a plastic pouch that falls apart after a
couple of years. But the screwdrivers have different size heads, which
should be matched to the screws... Ben Myers
Old October 22nd 08, 11:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Oct 21, 10:55*pm, Ben Myers wrote:
Tekkie wrote:
Ron Hardin posted for all of us...

Anyway they started to strip in spite of my
excellent Phillips screwdriver technique.

Posters are saying they never had a problem with these screws. *I have, many
times, especially notebook hard drive screws.

I have Wiha, Snap-On, other expensive screwdrivers and they strip the heads. *
So what's my problem? *(Besides the obvious) What brand do YOU recommend?

I recommend the Sears set of flat-head, Philips, and Torx screw drivers.
* You get 8 or 9 of them in a plastic pouch that falls apart after a
couple of years. *But the screwdrivers have different size heads, which
should be matched to the screws... Ben Myers

The key here is...the tip of the Philips screwdriver when bottomed in
the center, may not be "biting" in the slots.
It is necessary, at times, to grind the point to get a better bite.
(Hope I haven't repeated what someone else has said...in haste!)
Old October 22nd 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Tekkie wrote:
[...]

Ben is correct. I have what Ben describes tho I call it jeweler's
tools because of the size of the screw heads. I don't recall where I
bought mine nor how long ago but Ben described them pretty well tho
mine are in a plastic container and the tools are silver with grooves
running along the neck/body and at the opposite end of the screwdriver
it has a free rotating octogon (or so) shape. They're excellent tools
for doing watches, glasses (frames) or pc/laptop repairs. I know I've
had mine for years and they have paid for themselves based on the
number of times I've used them. Very handy to say the least.

O/C - memory timings self-resetting to too tight Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 0 March 9th 05 05:40 AM
How tight Andi Cole Overclocking 2 October 8th 04 04:30 PM
P4C800-E and tight cpu heatsink Colin D Asus Motherboards 5 October 7th 04 09:46 AM
Which Laser B/W on a *really* tight budget? Jambers Printers 3 January 9th 04 08:53 PM
CPiA LCD hinges too tight JW Dell Computers 1 January 4th 04 01:28 PM