Tight Screws

Old October 7th 08, 02:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff[_6_]

Default Tight Screws

Ron Hardin wrote:
A (apparently) motherboard died in my Vostro 1500.

The chat guy asks me to remote optical drive, HD
and RAM and try powering it on.

I got the optical drive out.

why didn't you just unplug them and power up ?
i think thats what i meant you to do
??
Old October 7th 08, 02:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Geoff wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:
A (apparently) motherboard died in my Vostro 1500.

The chat guy asks me to remote optical drive, HD
and RAM and try powering it on.

I got the optical drive out.

why didn't you just unplug them and power up ?
i think thats what i meant you to do
??

Pulling them out is how you unplug them.

Old October 7th 08, 03:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Agree that Torx is a lot better than Phillips. But it was no fun at all to
confront a Compaq full of Torx many years ago. I have since overcome the Torx
obstacle with a very nice set of Torx, Phillips, and flat blade screwdrivers
from Sears. The screwdrivers are perfect for work on laptops, hard drives (ever
remove a hard drive PCB?), and other teeny tiny stuff. The flat headed
screwdrivers are the right size for prying off the flexible piece of plastic
that covers the area between a laptop keyboard and the LCD screen. Highly
recommended and inexpensive.

There I go again, giving away trade secrets! Darn! ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 06:57:31 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:

So, plan B is a screw extractor.

Any hints on the best type to try?

A 3/32 drill bit fits in the removed-screw holes,
if that indicates the size involved.

Very very short screws. I don't know that you
could drill into them without drilling right
through them.

I remember from the WSJ in the 70s or so, an article on Phillips
screws, that mentioned they were _designed_ so that the driver
would auger out when tight, to prevent overtightening by automatic
screwdrivers. Chrysler used them on windshield frames, is what
I recall.

I see Wiki has
``Phillips
Has slightly rounded corners in the tool recess, and was designed so the driver
will slip out, or cam out, under high torque to prevent over-tightening. The
Phillips Screw Company was founded in Oregon in 1933 by Henry F. Phillips, who
bought the design from J. P. Thompson. Phillips was unable to manufacture the
design, so he passed the patent to the American Screw Company, who was the first to
manufacture it.''

Why anybody would use these today is a mystery.

There's a thousand better designs.

Old October 7th 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Dell, along with other brands, uses SOMETHING on its laptop screws to get them
to seat perfectly and hold tightly in place. Often, when I remove a screw,
there is a greenish residue on the screw threads. But I, too, have never met a
laptop screw that I could not unscrew... Ben Myers

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 06:38:33 -0500, RnR wrote:

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:28:53 +0100, "Fixer"
wrote:

"RnR" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:25:22 -0400, Ron Hardin
wrote:

A (apparently) motherboard died in my Vostro 1500.

The chat guy asks me to remote optical drive, HD
and RAM and try powering it on.

I got the optical drive out.

I got two screws of the HD out. They were tight,
and released with a loud ``crack'' when they
started turning. Do they impact-wrench them on?

The other two screws won't loosen. Apparently
even tighter than the first two.

Anyway they started to strip in spite of my
excellent Phillips screwdriver technique.

These are really tiny tiny screws and seem to have
a not very standard phillips head.

Anyway just a complaint about the damn screws.

I'm shipping the whole thing for repair, as a
result.

I did like the casual request to remove the
memory, which is not easy, involving lifting the
keyboard somehow. But I didn't get that far.

``Remove roof and temporarily set aside'' is how
little jobs turn out to be big ones.

I only use jeweler's screwdrivers when I'm doing laptop work and had
much success so far. I personally haven't encountered any screw in a
laptop that tight but if I did, the first thing I might try is a
jeweler's screwdriver along with a set of pliers attached to it to
give me more grip to turn the screw.

I can tell you now, Dell, never ever glue their screws in, and I have Never
Ever come across a screw that can't be removed in a laptop, if you use the
correct screwdriver and the correct phillips head size

Yeah, I'm not sure why they would use glue on a screw because the
screws I've encountered seemed to be tight enough. I admit some
screws seemed tighter than others. Sometimes one method I do when I
find those tighter screws is to screw them them a fraction tighter and
then back it off to unscrew them. It seems to loosen their hold.

Old October 7th 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

And as long as we're on the topic of over-engineered computer parts,
whose idea was it to make molex connectors almost impossible to remove
by hand?

Daddy

Old October 7th 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Sam Molex invented them?? Actually, the advent of SATA drives means that the
power and data cables are easier to remove than stinking 4-pin Molex that has
been around forever, and, for that matter, its companion 4-pin connector for
floppy drives and similar devices. There are tight fitting connectors and tight
fitting connectors, but 4-pin 12v-5v Molex does beat them all... Ben Myers

Old October 7th 08, 06:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news
Dell, along with other brands, uses SOMETHING on its laptop screws to get
them
to seat perfectly and hold tightly in place. Often, when I remove a
screw,
there is a greenish residue on the screw threads. But I, too, have never
met a
laptop screw that I could not unscrew... Ben Myers

the residue is threadlocking compound ie Loctite. From Wikipedia....

Loctite's threadlocker products come in different strength grades, to suit
the particular application.

Blue Removable No. 242, 243, 246, 248, 2432 & 2440 - Used for things you may
want to unscrew with minimal hassle. It cures into a brittle, glassy bond
that takes one good twist to break, but removes cleanly after that.
Recommended for use with valve covers, water pumps and oil pan bolts.

Red High-Strength No. 271, 262, 266, 268, 272, 277 & 2760 - Used on things
that you don't want to take apart for a long time. It requires heat from a
torch or iron (to 250° C) to loosen its grip. It cures into a thicker,
sticky bond that holds up better against vibration and shocks. It is
typically used in mechanical applications such as nuts and bolts in cars,
motorbikes, snowmobiles, and watercraft.

Green - penetrating grade No. 220(blue), 290 & 294 - Used for parts that
have already been assembled. Green No. 290 is commonly used to bond a
bearing to a shaft. Due to its low viscosity, capillary action wicks the
solution between the shaft and the inner race of the bearing.

Purple - low strength grade No. 222MS & 222 - Used for set screws.

For Plastic threads - No. 425. - Used for small plastic threads.

I'm surprised that the laptop screws use the Green compound as Blue would
hold for most hardware applications. However a small amount of heat
(soldering iron tip) applied to the screw head will soften any of the
different grades. I've used this stuff for years in many different
applications.

Another thing to try is to replace and tighten the screws that you have been
able to remove and then try to loosen the ones that are stuck. The pressure
of the assembly against the screws can increase against the last few after
most of the others have been loosened...making them hard to turn.

Old October 7th 08, 09:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_2_]

Ben Myers wrote:
Sam Molex invented them?? Actually, the advent of SATA drives means that the
power and data cables are easier to remove than stinking 4-pin Molex that has
been around forever, and, for that matter, its companion 4-pin connector for
floppy drives and similar devices. There are tight fitting connectors and tight
fitting connectors, but 4-pin 12v-5v Molex does beat them all... Ben Myers

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:47:54 -0400, Daddy wrote:

And as long as we're on the topic of over-engineered computer parts,
whose idea was it to make molex connectors almost impossible to remove
by hand?

Daddy

Molex connectors are a piece of cake compared to the multi-pin Packard
connections used on many autos.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old October 8th 08, 10:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

There I go again, giving away trade secrets! Darn! ... Ben Myers

However, your advice is right on the money. Having a good set of tools
to "do things" with computers is money well spent.

I didn't realize how true that was until I headed to Sears and put
together my dream computer toolset. Now everything I need from
scissors to T4 drivers is in one place. I also keep some spare power
buttons pulled from scrap computer cases in there.

For those wondering what they might put in there, here's what I put in
mine:

A roll of wire
Small hot glue gun and glue sticks (already had this from my Dalls
clock module rework--see http://greyghost.mooo.com/ds1387rework/)
Precision screwdrivers in long and short shaft
Small precision Torx drivers.
Household scissors
A box cutter with retractable blade
A card that accepts a 2.5" hard disk and lets you plug it into a PCI
slot for power and a 40-pin IDE cable for data.
Wire splices
Larger screwdrivers in short and long shafts
A knife
Electrical tape
Various and sundry picks and hooks
All kinds of small pliers and wire cutters
A multi-use wire stripper, crimper, cutter, etc
A telephone plug crimping tool
Screws for various things with various heads
A ratcheting multi-bit screwdriver.
A so-called "spudger" for taking apart certain iPods and other Apple
creations like Powerbooks. (This I made out of a "steak pick" from a
restaurant.)

I am thinking of putting a small roll of solder and a soldering iron
in there, but they don't see much use.

William
Old October 9th 08, 03:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

You forgot bubble gum, rubber bands, paper clips and toothpicks!

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:08:48 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

[...]

O/C - memory timings self-resetting to too tight Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 0 March 9th 05 06:40 AM
How tight Andi Cole Overclocking 2 October 8th 04 04:30 PM
P4C800-E and tight cpu heatsink Colin D Asus Motherboards 5 October 7th 04 09:46 AM
Which Laser B/W on a *really* tight budget? Jambers Printers 3 January 9th 04 09:53 PM
CPiA LCD hinges too tight JW Dell Computers 1 January 4th 04 02:28 PM