Windows XP and 64GB flash drives

Old August 20th 12, 01:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Default Windows XP and 64GB flash drives

Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Old August 20th 12, 02:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
R.Wieser

Daniel,

The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
than 32 GB.

Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could not
handle such a large storage ...

See what MS says about it here :
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q314463&

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
Daniel Prince schreef in berichtnieuws

Old August 20th 12, 05:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

If it is not pre-formatted, you can either paritition the
64GB drive or format it with something else, e.g. a Linux
life-CD. While XP cannot format larger than 32GB it has
no trouble using them when formatted.

Chances are that a new 65GB flash drive is formatted
with VFAT and works with XP.

Arno

R.Wieser wrote:
[...]

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:

----
Old August 20th 12, 06:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
GMAN[_14_]

In article , "R.Wieser" wrote:
Daniel,

The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
than 32 GB.

Not true, it just cannot format (Without a third party app) using FAT32. I
have formatted a 64GB flash drive repeatedly on Windows XP Pro SP3 both with
NTFS or using a 3rd party app in FAT32 for use in an old media player.

Old August 20th 12, 06:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
R.Wieser

GMAN,

My apologies, I should have been more clear in the specifics of it.

Luckily I provided a link to an MS webpage with all the details .... :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
GMAN schreef in berichtnieuws
In article , "R.Wieser"

Old August 21st 12, 12:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

"R.Wieser" wrote:

The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
than 32 GB.

That's a limitation of formatting using FAT32 on the flash drive. The
format command in Windows XP won't *create* a FAT32 partition larger
than 32GB in size; however, that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd
party partition managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
of the available free space on the device. Even if you create and then
enlarge a FAT32 partition, you will still have the limit of 4GB for the
maximum size of a file.

If you convert to NTFS then there is no such limit. If you format as an
NTFS partition on the flash drive, there isn't the 32GB limitation.
Under NTFS, you also won't incur the 4GB maximum size for a file.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/
Old August 21st 12, 01:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joseph Terner

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 05:46:55 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash drives.
Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.

It works after installing the Exfat IFS driver (KB955704) via Windows
Update.

Joseph
Old August 21st 12, 02:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
R.Wieser

Joseph,

From the MS webpage to that update:

"The exFAT file system is the *successor* to FAT32 in the FAT family of file
systems"

That could mean that exFAT is only usable on other machines having that
patch. It would be a good idea to check ....

Also read other posts he Although XP cannot format drives larger than 32
GB with FAT32 there are other programs (including w98's FORMAT) which does
not have that limitation.

Regards
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
Joseph Terner schreef in berichtnieuws

Old August 21st 12, 02:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
R.Wieser

Vanguard,

The format command in Windows XP won't *create*
a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB in size;

FORMAT does not *create* such a partition, FDISK(/the equivalent on XP)
does.

that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd party partition
managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
of the available free space on the device

The other way around I'm afraid. Parititioning on an XP machine will
succeede, its the formatting that needs to be done either by a third-party
program or somewhere else.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
VanguardLH schreef in berichtnieuws

Old August 21st 12, 03:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Brown[_2_]

On 21/08/2012 15:04, R.Wieser wrote:
Joseph,

From the MS webpage to that update:

"The exFAT file system is the *successor* to FAT32 in the FAT family of file
systems"

That could mean that exFAT is only usable on other machines having that
patch. It would be a good idea to check ....

"exFAT" is not a "successor to FAT32", no matter what MS tries to tell
you. It is just yet another file system, with marginal benefits over
FAT32 (such as being more efficient for larger partitions, and
supporting files greater than 4 GB), and huge disadvantages. It's main
reason for existing is that FAT32 is well-supported by non-Windows OS's
and embedded systems, without bringing in any income to MS. But since
details of exFAT are secret, patented, copyrighted, licensed, etc.,
there is little support outside Windows, and embedded systems that use
it have to pay royalties to MS.

It is difficult to imagine a worse choice of filesystem for any purpose.