AIW 9800 Gamma

Old February 26th 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default AIW 9800 Gamma

I've adjusted my gamma about the best I can using adobe gamma's adjust program,
including the color section of the ATI device setup.

I use the color images on my web site to get things in color.
http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/index.html

using the news link, I use the 'colorblind' link to check my settings fordrift
[often]. It's satisfactory at a minimum always. Just checked this page and it's
fine.

Problem is I really can't use the 2.2 windows default gamma. I have it cranked
down to 1. as low as I can get it.

Then in the AIW color section, I have the gamma cranked all the way to 3.2.
Numbers mean nothing. 3.2 in AIW = 1.0 in adobe gamma. Both are MAX. settings.

my monitor brightness and contrast are both at max 255.

the color is 9300k.

The problem I just noticed is with a capture I made also on the site an mpg
clip on the extras link, the 'seductive' mpg.

With my TV running, the mpg is satisfactory. with the TV off /disabled, all you
see is moving mud.

I have been warring with this problem since day 1 and the AIW 9800. Please no
suggestions on upgrading the catalyst. BTDT for EVERY upgrade, and always
returned to the original CD. The catalysts always screwed up more than they
fixed. The original CD has the fewest bugs.

You can see the reason for this if you have the TV running and attempt torun
the DVD. It'll give you a popup [if it's working correctly] 'running bothwill
degrade performance, options 1 run both at degraded usage, 2 turn off TV or 3
turn off DVD. if you go with 1, the color does desaturate.
If you turn off the TV, the colors extremely dark, but the controls also work.
where they don't work using Nero's DVD player if the TV's on also. [no
degradation warning with Nero's].

This is the 1st time I've seen it fail from a web mpg. But the TV was also
having trouble initializing today with that mpg on screen. failed to init
capture drivers, and clock was out of +- .2 sec tolerance.

Far as I know I have the beefiest machine available [2 years ago, and still]
P4 3.2 ghz. hyper threading, 1 gig ram [ram handles anything thrown at itso
far]. 152 gig boot drive, 300 gig backup drive.

I really can't see replacing the monitor, as I've used the monitors at the
library, and they show things fine. same as here with my current settings.

But I shouldn't have to capture from TV with the settings at default, just to
get some color into the captures.

To see the TV [now while I'm typing], I also have to adjust the gamma on the TV
to about 7/8's max on the brightness slider to see the TV. Default settings on
the TV setup video tab gives me the mud while viewing, but there's color in the
captures. Where if I capture with the 7/8's brightness setting on the TV,
there's no color at all in the images or the capture but I can see what's
getting recorded. IOW record in the dark, get good captures or record what you
see, and add the color after the fact.

This gamma adjust is a real pain. The thing should be so simple that whenyou
install the AIW, it's already set for whatever monitor.

Has anyone had less trouble getting your AIW 9800 and captures to be worthwhile
?

If so, HOW ???????