Max number of drives in RAID5 set

Old December 22nd 04, 12:50 PM
Steve Christall

Default Max number of drives in RAID5 set

Hi all

I have a new SATA tray for one of my SANS and was wondering if anyone has
preferences (and why) as to the number of drives to use in each RAID5 set.

I can either make a single RAID5 volume of 13x250 + hotspare and then carve
that up into three / four virtual volumes, or I could create say three RAID5
volumes with one volume set on each .... obviously I lose more storage with
three RAID5 volumes.

Is 13 drives in a RAID5 set too many? Rebuild time a problem?

Thanks
Steve

Old December 22nd 04, 01:11 PM
pras

Steve Christall wrote:
Hi all

I have a new SATA tray for one of my SANS and was wondering if anyone

has
preferences (and why) as to the number of drives to use in each RAID5

set.

I can either make a single RAID5 volume of 13x250 + hotspare and then

carve
that up into three / four virtual volumes, or I could create say

three RAID5
volumes with one volume set on each .... obviously I lose more

storage with
three RAID5 volumes.

Is 13 drives in a RAID5 set too many? Rebuild time a problem?

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

If you do not intend to have separation of volumes for different
applications, one big volume should be ok. You can save on storage.

Generally small and application specific volumes are better.
Back/Restore cycles ,which are usually performed by volume, are
shorter. Rebuild time is less. Snapshots or mirroring is also easier.
Thanks
Pras

Old December 22nd 04, 08:14 PM
Faeandar

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:50:53 -0000, "Steve Christall"
wrote:

Hi all

I have a new SATA tray for one of my SANS and was wondering if anyone has
preferences (and why) as to the number of drives to use in each RAID5 set.

I can either make a single RAID5 volume of 13x250 + hotspare and then carve
that up into three / four virtual volumes, or I could create say three RAID5
volumes with one volume set on each .... obviously I lose more storage with
three RAID5 volumes.

Is 13 drives in a RAID5 set too many? Rebuild time a problem?

Thanks
Steve

Rebuild times are definitely a concern at 250gb. SATA not as bad but
ATA drives that size can take 24 hours to rebuild, that's a long time
to be vulnerable. Depending on vendor they may do some slick things
like copy all the viable data from the failing drive first then
reconstruct what's missing. This saves loads of time but is fairly
uncommon still.

Another problem with large drives like this is spindle performance;
you want alot of spindles but the size of the volume is overkill (in
alot of cases, maybe not yours).

My personal preference would be to have multiple Raid 5 sets and use
an LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to make them all seem like one volume.
That way you get all the benefits of spindle performance, a larger
volume size (though not as large as if it were one Raid 5 set), and
extra protection against multi-drive failures.

~F
Old January 10th 05, 05:45 PM
Ed L Cashin

Faeandar writes:

Rebuild times are definitely a concern at 250gb. SATA not as bad but
ATA drives that size can take 24 hours to rebuild, that's a long time
to be vulnerable. Depending on vendor they may do some slick things
like copy all the viable data from the failing drive first then
reconstruct what's missing. This saves loads of time but is fairly
uncommon still.

Another problem with large drives like this is spindle performance;
you want alot of spindles but the size of the volume is overkill (in
alot of cases, maybe not yours).

My personal preference would be to have multiple Raid 5 sets and use
an LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to make them all seem like one volume.
That way you get all the benefits of spindle performance, a larger
volume size (though not as large as if it were one Raid 5 set), and
extra protection against multi-drive failures.

I've been working with Linux Software RAID on 400 GB ATA drives. The
Linux md driver supports up to 27 disks in one array. My co-worker
found out that the rebuild times using the Linux 2.6 kernel are higher
than they need to be.

He was building a RAID 5 on nine EtherDrive storage blades and found
that the per-blade I/O rate was only 1200KB/s. At that rate, the RAID
initialization was going to take days. We know that 1200KB/s is lower
than it should be, so he checked the 2.6 kernel sources and thought he
saw a problem with the way it determines whether devices are idle or
not. He did this ...

echo 100000 /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max
echo 100000 /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

.... and the per-blade throughput went up to about 5300 KB/s, meaning
that the array could fully initialize in about 18 hours.

I've been meaning to look at the md code myself, but I wonder if
anybody else has noticed this when initializing software RAIDs. It
might be that there's something different about the aoe block driver.

--
Ed L Cashin