Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters

Old July 28th 03, 09:41 PM
tb

Default Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters

Hi,

My computer crashed, and all the parameters of the BIOS have been erased.
So, I choose to load default option, and I auto-detect my IDE peripherals.
Then my computer boot, and all was OK
Two days later, I tried to record a DVD+R. My computer crashed !

Here is my config :
Motherboard KT7A - Bios AWARD v6.00PG - 12/15/2000-8363-686B-6A6LMA19C-WW
Athlon 1100 GHz
Primary Master : HDD 80Go UDMA - Western Digital
Primary Slave : HDD 80 Go UDMA - Maxtor
Secondary Master : DVD+RW Ricoh MP5125A
Secondary Slave : Hitachi DVD Player.
Dual boot : 2 different Windows 2000 pro - SP2. (The first one, called W2kA
is clean, the second one, called W2kB is a bad one because I
install/deinstall anything, but it works.

I made test, results follow.
When I record a data DVD+RW (data are .zip and .rar files from my HDD), W2kB
crash, the computer reboots
When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Recorder to my HDD, W2kB crash, the
computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)
When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Player to my HDD, W2kB crash, the
computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)
When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Recorder to my HDD, W2kA crash, the
computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)
When I copy a data DVD from the DVD Player to my HDD, W2kA crash, the
computer reboots (I tried with different data DVDs)

So I'm sure it is not a Windows 2000 problem, because it fails with both
W2kA and W2kB.
I was working before my BIOS have been erased. (I don't need to upgrade my
BIOS because it worked before)
So I am pretty sure it is a problem of BIOS parameters.
May be it is the PIO mode, but I don't know which parameters to set.
Should I set my IDE drives, DVD recorded and DVD player to AUTO or LBA ?
Does anybody have the same Motherboard and CPU than me ? I should be nice to
send me the BIOS parameters, or to send me any WWW to find any information.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Thierry

Old July 29th 03, 06:55 AM
Stacey

tb wrote:

May be it is the PIO mode, but I don't know which parameters to set.

Neither should be set to pio mode.

Should I set my IDE drives, DVD recorded and DVD player to AUTO or LBA ?

Set both to suto and with modern drives it should work fine.

Do you have DMA enabled in the OS? Go into the device manager and enable it
if you have installed the drivers for your mobo on the os first.
--

Stacey
Old July 29th 03, 07:30 AM
rcm

Set both to suto and with modern drives it should work fine.
Correction: Stacey means Auto not suto in case tb is confused. I was for
a few seconds.

Old July 29th 03, 11:16 AM

"Stacey" wrote in message
tb wrote:

May be it is the PIO mode, but I don't know which parameters to set.

Neither should be set to pio mode.

Should I set my IDE drives, DVD recorded and DVD player to AUTO or LBA ?

Set both to suto and with modern drives it should work fine.

Do you have DMA enabled in the OS? Go into the device manager and enable

it
if you have installed the drivers for your mobo on the os first.
--

Stacey

Thanks for your comments.
I tried with auto, it didn't work, then I set to LBA, it doesn't work.
DMA is enabled on both IDE Controller.

I made a new test yesterday evening : I set PIO mode to 3 for both
drives (primary master and slave), and set PIO mode 0 for DVDwriter
and DVD reader.

I succeed to copy from the DVD player more than 1.5Gbytes, but my CPU
load was 100%! Two process were working : Explorer.exe and System.
It is the first time I see my CPU load at 100% just by copying files
from my DVDplayer to a drive.

tb
Old July 29th 03, 09:44 PM
tb

A friend gave me the solution this afternoon.
I just de-installed VIA chipset drivers, and reinstalled it. (driver VIA
4in1), and it works !
Many thanks everybody.

"Ben" a écrit dans le message de news:
set your bios settings for drives to auto and all drives (hdd, cdrom and
dvd) should work fine. its not a bios setting thats causing the problem

and
when youre copying large amounts of data across your CPU load is bound to
rise. the crashes may be power related indicating an insufficent or

failing
PSU.

wrote in message
om...

.ca...

Old July 30th 03, 08:10 AM
Stacey

tb wrote:

A friend gave me the solution this afternoon.
I just de-installed VIA chipset drivers, and reinstalled it. (driver VIA
4in1), and it works !

Gotta love the "Fun with Via 4in1 drivers!"
--

Stacey