SATA controller AHCI mode questions

Old March 2nd 09, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

Default SATA controller AHCI mode questions

I read and I understand what AHCI is and what it's benefits are. I
understand that switching the SATA mode after Windows XP is installed can
cause problems.
Regarding the BIOS setting "SATA Configuration":

Is there any downside to setting the ICH10R ports to AHCI mode? (*Before* XP
installation, of course). My setup will be 2 Sata HDDs and one Sata ODD on
ICH10R.

If the setting is to RAID (as Intel recommends, which activates AHCI also),
and I do not set up any RAID array, will that affect the normal operation of
the system? Or is it just "RAID ready" so to speak? Any Downside to this
using setting?

On a secondary controller (JMicron JMB363 or JMB322) would setting this
controller to AHCI have any affect on the PATA connection (which is on the
same chip)? Would a standard EIDE hard drive or ODD still work if this
controller is set to AHCI?

In "SATA Configuration" there is a setting: "IDE Detect Timeout (Sec) [35]"
and "AHCI CD/DVD Boot Timeout (Sec) [35]" . What is the purpose of these
settings? Any harm in lowering the timeout(s)?

Old March 2nd 09, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mar 2, 7:50 am, "TVeblen" wrote:

Is there any downside to setting the ICH10R ports to AHCI mode? (*Before* XP
installation, of course). My setup will be 2 Sata HDDs and one Sata ODD on
ICH10R.

Very driver specific and OS intolerant (done right or not at all)
according to wiki -

Enabling AHCI in a system's BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of
Death STOP error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) on installations of
Windows XP and Windows Vista where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's
chipset are not installed; i.e., boot failure.[5] Switching the
chipset to AHCI mode involves changing the BIOS settings and will not
work. Usually, manual installation of new drivers is required before
enabling AHCI in BIOS.[6] Alternatively, a "Repair" installation with
the appropriate driver loaded during the setup process usually
corrects the problem. For motherboards with more than one Sata
controller (for example, some boards have Intel and Jmicron Sata
controllers) another alternative is possible. The sata cable for the
boot drive can be inserted into a port on one controller (which can be
configured in IDE mode), allowing the machine to boot successfully
with the other controller configured for AHCI mode. The AHCI drivers
can then be installed in windows without difficulty before swapping
the cable back.
Old March 2nd 09, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

wrote in message
On Mar 2, 7:50 am, "TVeblen" wrote:

[...]

Yes I read that. It is my understanding that the wording refers to already
installed versions of the OS - versions that were installed in IDE mode and
then converted in BIOS to AHCI afterwards. Further reading seems to confirm
this. One user "was able to force the installation of the drivers" to work
around the problem. But in any case it seems to be quite important to choose
a mode at first build and stick with it. Thus the annoying questions.

Old March 2nd 09, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , TVeblen says...

Yes I read that. It is my understanding that the wording refers to already
installed versions of the OS - versions that were installed in IDE mode and
then converted in BIOS to AHCI afterwards. Further reading seems to confirm
this. One user "was able to force the installation of the drivers" to work
around the problem. But in any case it seems to be quite important to choose
a mode at first build and stick with it. Thus the annoying questions.

All I've ever done is install the SATA drivers, reboot and change to
AHCI and it's been fine.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old March 2nd 09, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , TVeblen says...

Yes I read that. It is my understanding that the wording refers to
already
installed versions of the OS - versions that were installed in IDE mode
and
then converted in BIOS to AHCI afterwards. Further reading seems to
confirm
this. One user "was able to force the installation of the drivers" to
work
around the problem. But in any case it seems to be quite important to
choose
a mode at first build and stick with it. Thus the annoying questions.

All I've ever done is install the SATA drivers, reboot and change to
AHCI and it's been fine.

--
Conor

Before or after the OS install?

Old March 2nd 09, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Stephen

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:50:54 -0500, "TVeblen"
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

I read and I understand what AHCI is and what it's benefits are. I
understand that switching the SATA mode after Windows XP is installed can
cause problems.
Regarding the BIOS setting "SATA Configuration":

Is there any downside to setting the ICH10R ports to AHCI mode? (*Before* XP
installation, of course). My setup will be 2 Sata HDDs and one Sata ODD on
ICH10R.

If you don't slipstream the drivers, you'll need a floppy with the
drivers. I use nLite. www.nliteos.com

If the setting is to RAID (as Intel recommends, which activates AHCI also),
and I do not set up any RAID array, will that affect the normal operation of
the system? Or is it just "RAID ready" so to speak? Any Downside to this
using setting?

No, the drives and os won't care.

On a secondary controller (JMicron JMB363 or JMB322) would setting this
controller to AHCI have any affect on the PATA connection (which is on the
same chip)? Would a standard EIDE hard drive or ODD still work if this
controller is set to AHCI?

Won't affect the PATA.

In "SATA Configuration" there is a setting: "IDE Detect Timeout (Sec) [35]"
and "AHCI CD/DVD Boot Timeout (Sec) [35]" . What is the purpose of these
settings? Any harm in lowering the timeout(s)?

The ide timeout: how long the bios waits for the drive to get ready.
The dvd timeout: a delay to allow the drive time to recognize a disc.
On my Asus P5Q-EM, the dvd timeout is only used when dvd is first in
the boot order.

Old March 2nd 09, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , TVeblen says...

Before or after the OS install?

After. Saves having to mess about inserting a driver disk during
installation.

SATA & AHCI RobV Asus Motherboards 12 August 22nd 07 02:26 AM
new system with P5B-e... should I set SATA to AHCI? Rob Asus Motherboards 1 December 5th 06 10:40 PM
P5B Deluxe and HD in AHCI mode Baron Asus Motherboards 3 November 12th 06 10:52 PM
P5LD2 - AHCI versus IDE Mode for SATA? Anthony Horan Asus Motherboards 1 January 18th 06 04:51 PM
k8vse deluxe.....question about promise vs via sata controller and some bios questions laj Asus Motherboards 0 May 7th 04 12:59 AM