Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

Old March 9th 08, 06:51 PM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
123[_2_]

Default Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

Greg Cisko wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
You can hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had
that happen and is why I don't bother with it anymore.

Different matter entirely to his completely stupid proclamation.

*PLONK*

You clearly lied the first time you tried that, stupid plonker.

Old March 12th 08, 04:17 AM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Alpha

On Feb 29, 7:07 am, "Joe" wrote:
I just purchasedAcronis11and after reading the manual- realized that this
is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell running
Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test it on an
older (2004) Dell running XP.

It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to hibernate
the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then did a full
shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the problem. This
morning I realized after the first required reboot to complete the
installation process- I didn't remove the installation disk - so perhaps
that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I removed the installation
disk- and tried again, no luck. I uninstalled the program, then reinstalled,
then tried again to hibernate, no luck.

The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started- THEN-
the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the system back on-
it was still showing the uninstallation process- I completed the uninstall.
OnceAcronisis uninstalled, the hibernate process works just fine.

Comments appreciated.

Joe

The answers here are wrong.

Acronis technical support has indicated that this is a known problem
since November. They have not fixed it.

The problem is that the TryandDecide service is stopping hibernation
and sometimes shutdown (the message for that is 'there is a long
process underway....'

They will fix it in the next release or update (thanks alot...the
earliest that happens is every 6 months).

In the meantime, you have to manually turn off the service using ctrl-
alt-delete and disable the tryanddecide service.

Unfortunately, this only works for the current session...you have to
do this every time you reboot.

There is no way to stop this.
Old March 12th 08, 08:26 AM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gotde T Shirt[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:17:24 -0700 (PDT), Alpha wrote:

On Feb 29, 7:07 am, "Joe" wrote:
[...]

Try disabling the service.

Start Run services.mscreturn
Double-click on Acronis Try and Decide Service
Click Stop
Set the Startup Type combo to Disabled
OK etc
Old March 12th 08, 08:33 AM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Alpha wrote
[...]

They cant be when it works fine for them.

Acronis technical support has indicated that this is a known problem since November.

Bare faced lie when stated as absolutely as you just did.

They have not fixed it.

The problem is that the TryandDecide service is stopping hibernation and
sometimes shutdown (the message for that is 'there is a long process underway....'

How odd that mine hibernate fine.

They will fix it in the next release or update (thanks alot...
the earliest that happens is every 6 months).

Another bare faced lie.

In the meantime, you have to manually turn off the service
using ctrl-alt-delete and disable the tryanddecide service.

Wrong, as always.

Old March 12th 08, 08:56 PM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe

Having started this thread- and having a problem hibernating on an XP with
Acronis 11- I've had several emails with Acronis tech support- in the last,
it was suggested that I turn off the Try and Decide Service- and, voila- I
can now hibernate. I probably never would have tried that service anyways.

Joe

"Backspace" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

Hibernate is bad as a general habit.

Wrong.

Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

Wrong again.

Depends on your hardware. Hibernate has issues on some hardware. You can

Old March 12th 08, 08:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Joe

Correct- turning it off as you describe keeps it off.

What other known bugs are there that Acronis admits to?

Joe