introduce 1st Windows server to existing production SAN (100% UNIX)

Old January 6th 05, 09:20 PM
drivera

Default introduce 1st Windows server to existing production SAN (100% UNIX)

Hello,
we have an existing production SAN comprised of Hitachi Storage (9980,
9970, 9570) with Brocade switches (2800s)
and several different SUN Servers (SunFire class). We are about to
introduce our first Windows server onto our SAN.
Other than ensuring we have LUN security turned on and SAN zoning setup
and configured, is there anything else we should look out for or beware
of?

thanks,

drivera

Old January 7th 05, 11:28 AM
Scott Howard

drivera wrote:
we have an existing production SAN comprised of Hitachi Storage (9980,
9970, 9570) with Brocade switches (2800s)
and several different SUN Servers (SunFire class). We are about to
introduce our first Windows server onto our SAN.
Other than ensuring we have LUN security turned on and SAN zoning setup
and configured, is there anything else we should look out for or beware

Make sure that the host groups on the HDS's ports are configured correctly.
ie, "Windows" for the windows boxes.

A seemingly obvious one, but you'd be surprised how many times it gets
missed

Scott
Old January 10th 05, 12:06 PM
David Chatterton

drivera wrote:
Hello,
we have an existing production SAN comprised of Hitachi Storage (9980,
9970, 9570) with Brocade switches (2800s)
and several different SUN Servers (SunFire class). We are about to
introduce our first Windows server onto our SAN.
Other than ensuring we have LUN security turned on and SAN zoning setup
and configured, is there anything else we should look out for or beware
of?

thanks,

drivera

Make sure that you don't let the Windows box write Windows labels
on your disks and trash your UFS filesystems. It will prompt you
when it boots and see's disks it does not recognise. LUN security
should prevent this, but...

David