Connectstor II problems with Windows XP SP2

Old October 13th 04, 03:08 AM
Tom

Default Connectstor II problems with Windows XP SP2

Is anyone having access problems using a Connectstor II with Windoes
XP SP2? Immediately after upgrading to SP2 I encountered various
access right problems when trying to create, move and delete files. I
have posted a message to promise support but have not received a
confirmation of the problem as of yet.
Old October 25th 04, 03:27 AM
Rygel

You are not alone. I have had the same experience. I wrote th
following to ConnectStore (Promise.com):

FIRST MESSAGE

I am using a ConnectStor II as network storage on a home network. Whe
I download files directly to this device from the Internet, a tmp fil
is usually created on the ConnectStor device. When I try to delet
these files I get a message that says:

Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot delete TMP1D2C: The file name you specified is not valid or to
long. Specify a different file name.

I have moved all of these files to a directory called "Delete" at th
root level of the share. So the file name ought not be too long or th
path a problem. I still get the message whether I change the file nam
or not. I probably have a couple hundred of these things now.

This also happens when using CuteFTP Pro 6 to move files from the shar
to a server. CuteFTP creates a temporary file sometimes and when thi
happens, the temp file cannot be deleted.

When I try to delete from the CMD console, I get the followin
message:

"The system call level is not correct."

The computer I'm using to connect to the device is a Windows XP SP
machine.

Please advise how I can delete these files. Thank you.

SECOND MESSAGE:

I have a ConnectStorII.

When I try to download a file from the Internet to the device I ge
store insists).

Downloading causes a temp file to be created; e.g., TMP37a.tmp. When
try to delete that file, I get "Cannot delete TMP37A: The file name yo
specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."

I get the same thing when I try to delete any file on the device.

I have looked at everything I can and do not see what is causing this.

My system is running Windows XP SP2.

Right now the device is useless because I cannot manage files on it.
can't download properly and I can't delete. Basically, it is prett
hosed.

I need to know how to fix this device. I have sent a previous e-mail
which has thus far gone unanswered. I would like to get your take o
it.

If I get an answer, I'll post it

--
Rygel
Old October 30th 04, 03:53 PM
Tom

Just to pile on, I have also been sending Promise support emails with
identical problems. Their response is to remove SP2. They have still
not confirmed if a firmware revision is in the works to resolve the
problem.

Rygel wrote in message ...
You are not alone. I have had the same experience. I wrote the
following to ConnectStore (Promise.com):

FIRST MESSAGE

I am using a ConnectStor II as network storage on a home network. When
I download files directly to this device from the Internet, a tmp file
is usually created on the ConnectStor device. When I try to delete
these files I get a message that says:

Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot delete TMP1D2C: The file name you specified is not valid or too
long. Specify a different file name.

I have moved all of these files to a directory called "Delete" at the
root level of the share. So the file name ought not be too long or the
path a problem. I still get the message whether I change the file name
or not. I probably have a couple hundred of these things now.

This also happens when using CuteFTP Pro 6 to move files from the share
to a server. CuteFTP creates a temporary file sometimes and when this
happens, the temp file cannot be deleted.

When I try to delete from the CMD console, I get the following
message:

"The system call level is not correct."

The computer I'm using to connect to the device is a Windows XP SP2
machine.

Please advise how I can delete these files. Thank you.

SECOND MESSAGE:

I have a ConnectStorII.

When I try to download a file from the Internet to the device I get
store insists).

Downloading causes a temp file to be created; e.g., TMP37a.tmp. When I
try to delete that file, I get "Cannot delete TMP37A: The file name you
specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."

I get the same thing when I try to delete any file on the device.

I have looked at everything I can and do not see what is causing this.

My system is running Windows XP SP2.

Right now the device is useless because I cannot manage files on it. I
can't download properly and I can't delete. Basically, it is pretty
hosed.

I need to know how to fix this device. I have sent a previous e-mail,
which has thus far gone unanswered. I would like to get your take on
it.

If I get an answer, I'll post it.

Old November 5th 04, 02:56 AM
Rygel

So far Promise has not responded to my many inquires at all.

Their advice to you to remove SP2 is reckless and irresponsible.
Removing SP2 is difficult and will likely render the compute
extraordinarily vulnerabile to attack. If they can't understand tha
information security is important, maybe they should find a new line o
business.

They clearly have a problem that they need to address and they need t
take responsibility for their firmware.

We own four ConnectStor II units and when we buy new storage devices
we will be buying from a vendor that can support their product an
respond to customers. I suspect that leaves Promise out of th
running. Leaving customers out on a limb only works once. Pretty soo
customers get wise and leave the vendor out on the limb. Their failur
to communicate or take responsibility for their firmware is troubling.
If we want safer networks and less vulnerability we need to buy fro
vendors that are engaged in assuring security. They could hav
doubled their business with us, but instead it will be a boon for a ne
vendor with a better product when we find a suitable replacement.

Instead of suggesting reduced security to fit their produc
shortcomings, Promise ought to be thinking about being proactive an
offering fixes quickly

--
Rygel
Old November 11th 04, 12:31 AM
Tom

Just to close the loop on this I received a reply from Promise
technology tech support. Basically we are SOL. Here is the text
Old November 11th 04, 01:03 AM
Tom

If anyone is interested in voicing their concern about the lack of
firmware support for the ConnectstorII, I send this to promise
support. Mabye if enough individuals send a note, they may change
their mind or offer alternatives, rather than leaving loyal customer
in the dust. Here is the message:

Hello,
I understand that you will no longer support any firmware upgrades
to the Connectstor II product. I am very disappointed in this decision
and would like to express my deep lack of customer satisfaction
regarding your support of discontinued prodcuts. I can point to other
competitors such as Linksys that do provide firmware support beyond a
2 year limit. I do not expect this email to change your decision,
however I would like to offer a recommendation as an alternative to
your original proposal. I believe that the motherboard is a generic
version that has has a ROM/PROM capability. You probably embedded a
version of Linux along with a custom web front end. Since you do not
plan to offer any additional support, would you be willing to provide
on your support website information regarding the montherboard
manufacturer, model and techical details on the embedded software
architecture. Any support or information or options that would extend
the life of the unit would go a long way in retaining loyal customers.
There are quite a few people in the news groups that are in the same
situation as I.

Please let me know what you can do regarding this situation. Thanks.
Old January 7th 05, 02:21 PM

i read on a web page somewhere that prior to installing sp2 you should
scan for viruses and adware
once clean install is fine.
also be aware that restore points previous to sp2 will no longer work
however there is a patch for this on Microsofts web site
i have had to re-install everything after sp2 wiped out view all my
disc drives in "my computer" or "explorer"
i will atemp to re-install another day when i have 5-6 hours to spare
if it does not work
god bless Bill Gates and all his milloins (git)