typical shelf or unused life for toner cartridges?

Old February 23rd 12, 03:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jack Sala

Default typical shelf or unused life for toner cartridges?

I purchased an HP 2420d laserjet back in 2005. I used it a lot from
2005-2007 and then only occasionally since about 2008. About 2010, I
started noticing very light print. I at first attributed this to the
transfer roller, which is one possibility the manual mentioned to replace,
and I replaced it a week ago. Same light print. On a whim, I decided to
purchase a new toner cartridge and install. Presto! Problem solved. Now I
have a question: what is the typical lifetime for either an unused
cartridge or one that only sees occasional use? The toner cartridge I
replaced had not begun to run out at all, in fact it had been sitting on the
shelf for 3-4 years.

Thanks.

Old February 23rd 12, 04:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Jack Sala" wrote:
I purchased an HP 2420d laserjet back in 2005. I used it a lot from
2005-2007 and then only occasionally since about 2008. About 2010, I
started noticing very light print. I at first attributed this to the
transfer roller, which is one possibility the manual mentioned to replace,
and I replaced it a week ago. Same light print. On a whim, I decided to
purchase a new toner cartridge and install. Presto! Problem solved. Now I
have a question: what is the typical lifetime for either an unused
cartridge or one that only sees occasional use? The toner cartridge I
replaced had not begun to run out at all, in fact it had been sitting on the
shelf for 3-4 years.

Thanks.

Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem is
usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
drum related in a HP printer.
Tony

Old February 24th 12, 01:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
who where

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:14:28 -0600, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz wrote:

Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem is
usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
drum related in a HP printer.

sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....

Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?
Old February 24th 12, 02:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "who where"

dot nz wrote:

Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem is
usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
drum related in a HP printer.

sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....

Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

Yes. Did you shake the cartridge ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old February 24th 12, 08:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

dot nz wrote:

Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem
is
usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
drum related in a HP printer.

sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....

Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

Yes very likely. One of the factors can be the 5% coverage, if your printer has
printed a greater than 5% average the cartridge will print light before the
1500 pages are done. Having said that, I would expect it to print light across
the width of the page. Light printing in the middle of the page is normally
caused by a worn drum requiring replacement of the cartridge (once more, that
is in printers that use integrtated cartridges like yours).
Tony

Old February 24th 12, 09:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_2_]

dot nz wrote:

[...]

Or badly distributed remaining toner. Rock the cartridge back and forth a
few times and you'll often get a load more proper pages out.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old February 25th 12, 05:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
who where

From: "who where"

dot nz wrote:

Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem is
usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
drum related in a HP printer.

sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....

Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

Yes. Did you shake the cartridge ?

No, but after seeing Bob's post I will give it a go. I expect (ref
Tony's comment) that it *may* be due to the 5% assumption, although I
alos would have expected a more even spread of image degradation
across the page.
Old February 29th 12, 06:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Keiser

I found an original HP 12A in an unopened box in the back of my storage
shlef. Unsealed and I installed a few weeks ago. Disappointed to find only
the faintest of print.
Shaking didn't help.
Any way to revive this?

..

Shelf life Noik Cdr 11 September 19th 06 05:01 AM
ink cartridges that are 3-5 years old, with 2 year shelf life tiktak Printers 6 August 14th 05 11:04 AM
Shelf life for Laserjet toner and Inkjet Inks? eb7g Printers 2 October 16th 04 09:47 AM
CD-R "Shelf Life" Frank Lodge Cdr 8 July 30th 04 04:25 PM
CD-R drive shelf life Duff General Hardware 1 November 20th 03 11:06 AM