Are some wifi ADSL modem routers not compatible with australian broadband services???

Old February 20th 05, 05:30 AM
Simon3000

Default Are some wifi ADSL modem routers not compatible with australian broadband services???

I've moved from the UK to Australia Oz and tried to use my Toshiba WBG
1200A ADSL modem/wireless router to connect to a local ISP called Optus
but i can't get it to work - the tech help at Optus suggest that it may
be because the WBG ADSL modem does not work in australia due to
different ADSL technical standards
- is this true???

i find this hard to believe although I've tried every permutation of
modem settings possible and have the correct VCI (8) and VPI (35)
numbers. I've even seen the same model sold on the expansys australian
website.

my connection method is pppoe llc and the connection works fine with
the non-wifi adsl modem supplied by optus -its just that i can't get
the toshiba wifi router/adsl modem to work - although I know for sure
that the toshiba works because it was working in England just before I
arrived in Oz, and it is working perfectly as wifi router because i'm
using it to transfer files via wifi between my 2 computers at home

I have the latest firmware version.
the configuration settings I've tried a

1. Mode: PPPoE router, I've also tried PPPoA router

2. IP address = dynamic

3.DNS:
Enable DNS relay = I've tried OFF and ON (when ON, I used the DNS
server address 211.29.132.12 from the optus website)

4.PPP:
i've used correct password/user name which works with the supplied adsl
modem

5.ADSL:
VPI = 8
VCI = 35
Multiplexing = LLC Encapsulation Route, I've also tried LLC
Encapsulation Bridge, and VC based route, and VC based bridge

ADSL mode = G.DMT, I've also tried Mulitmode

6. Wireless LAN
Newtork name = WBG_Network

Those are all the options available in the simple configuration!

I don't know what the section called "Routing Information
Configuration" means - there are 2 options in it
1. Static Routing Ex: Network Address, Subnet MAsk, GateAddress 9,
Cost]; followed by a blank text box,
and
2. "Obtain Routing infromation INTO Wireless Braodband Gateway"
followed by the choice of 2 empty tick boxes saying Ver.1 or Ver.2
2. "Obtain Routing infromation OUT FROM Wireless Braodband Gateway"
the choice of 2 empty tick boxes saying Ver.1 or Ver.2

does anyone know why some wireless routers/modems would work with optus

whilst others don't?

Any suggestions??

Thanks