Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

Old February 6th 07, 08:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+790350938

Old February 6th 07, 08:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

k wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+790350938

TNN500AF - heat pipe technology
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=151&code=020
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...-tnn500af.html

TNN300 - a smaller version of the above
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=175&code=020

These are fanless, up to a point. If you put too much heat
generating stuff in the case, there is room for a fan. So
you must still select components that have low heat output.

A laptop contains components which have fair attention to
heat output, so that should give you some ideas as to which
processors or GPU technologies to use.

The above cases are too expensive to use, unless you are
a business and have a large budget.

Paul
Old February 6th 07, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+790350938

What do you need the PC for? And what budget are you working with?

If you want to play the latest 3d games, then you need something fairly
powerful, which tends to make noise. For normal windows use, you can build
an extremely quiet PC.

You can buy fanless PSUs, or silent PSUs - see www.quietpc.co.uk

You can use none-stock cooling heatsinks and fans on GPUs and CPUs.

You can get mobile processors that are much cooler than desktop equivalents.
My system is old now, but still runs windows very smoothly. I have my Athlon
2400+ processor undervolted, so it runs cooler and I have a large 120mm fan
spinning relatively slowly above my zalman CPU cooler. I have replaced the
small winey heatsink+fan on the motherboard with a large heatsink, which is
also blown on by the large 120mm fan. I have replaced the heatsink and fan
on my graphics card with a zalman GPU heatsink and I have an intake and
exhaust fan re-wired to run on the 5v circuit instead of the 12v, so they
are silent. I have a Samsung Spinpoint hard disk, which runs silently.

Old February 6th 07, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
mike

k wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer

probably not. Put a number on how quiet it needs to be.
Zero is not an option.
, without fans at all?
yes
A google search for fanless gets almost two million hits.
What
case should I buy?

Best regards,
Dima
+790350938

Old February 6th 07, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima

If high performance is not an issue:

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/

Old February 6th 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 6 Feb 2007 00:15:00 -0800, "k" wrote:

Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all?

It depends on what you're trying to build, how cool the room
is, and how long you need it to last.

What
case should I buy?

One with fans.

Getting rid of fans is seldom the correct solution for a
silent computer. Extremely expensive solutions do exist
that claim to do it, but they only factor for immediate
stability, not longer term use of consumer grade PC parts.
The correct solution is the same as always, choosing a
reasonably ventilated case (it is not as though there is
only one you could choose, there are many) so far as
unobstructed air passages, choosing moderate to lower
power/heat parts, and very low RPM fans.

If you can hear very low RPM fans in a relatively quiet
room, the problem is not that there are fans, it's either
the poor quality of the fan or the case (or fan mount)
design. If you really, truely need a "silent" system then
I would suspect you would have specified the reason and
environment in which it is necessary, as people usually do
if they had a specific reason like near a mic in a studio.
Old February 6th 07, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Hello!

TNN500AF - heat pipe technologyhttp://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=151&code=020http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/zalman-tnn500af.html

TNN300 - a smaller version of the abovehttp://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=175&code=020http://www.silentpcreview.com/article302-page1.html

These are fanless, up to a point. If you put too much heat
generating stuff in the case, there is room for a fan. So
you must still select components that have low heat output.

A laptop contains components which have fair attention to
heat output, so that should give you some ideas as to which
processors or GPU technologies to use.

The above cases are too expensive to use, unless you are
a business and have a large budget.

Paul

Thanks Paul for your reply!

Old February 6th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Feb 6, 1:04 pm, "GT" wrote:
"k" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello!
[...]

Thanks GT for your reply!
I don't want to play the latest 3d games, but some 3d games like Need
for speed porsche unleashed. I need a case mostly for normal windows
use.
Best regards,
Dima

Old February 6th 07, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Feb 6, 8:02 pm, kony wrote:
[...]

Thanks kony for your reply!
The room is cool. I need the computer to work at night at my room to
download through e-mule.
Best regards,
Dima

Old February 6th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

mike wrote
k wrote

Is it possible to build a silent computer

probably not.

Corse it is.

Put a number on how quiet it needs to be.
Zero is not an option.

Corse it is.

without fans at all?

yes
A google search for fanless gets almost two million hits.

What case should I buy?

First time build - Case Fans questions... Moldy Homebuilt PC's 26 December 10th 03 10:08 PM
Silent Computer - Advice David Taylor Homebuilt PC's 51 October 7th 03 11:26 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Homebuilt PC's 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Dell Computers 34 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM